Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I removed my rear drums and the right had oil around the outside lip, as well as the leaf springs had heavy oil deposits, 10 inches forward, 6 inches aft, could this be leaking axle seal, or something else. Is it best to replace all brake parts and springs, and where is the best place to purchase these items. Thanks for your help.
Really want to get this done before back to the 50's thress weeks away.

I purchased a Disc Brake Kit from Auto City Classics or known as Toms on Ebay, with calipers mounted aft side, as the brake hoses fit that way Anyone mount them forward? Also both brake hoses leaked at crimp. Bought new ones at NAPA.

·
Premium Member
5,232 Posts
You may have an axle bearing seal leaking. Unless your brake hardware is in poor condition, you can reuse them. If you just want to replace them try one of our sponsors. Several have them. Don`t know the answer to the rest of the question. :anim_25: bowtie-trifive :gba:

·
Registered
38,748 Posts
If your axle seals are out you need to replace the bearings. They are pressed on, if you don't have a press many auto supplies or certainly an automotive machine shop can do that for you.

The auto supply should be able to supply you with the axle bearing and brake parts you need.

There is no need to replace the brake shoes unless they are contaminated with gear oil, though that is likely.

You should also check to see if your wheel cylinders are leaking and replace those too if needed.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
55,390 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When I removed the wheel hub, there was some oily mess inside the hub, not much, but residue. Wheel cylinder does not appear to be leaking rubber seals or boots were dry.
Ok if they both smell different what are they supposed to smell like? Gotta love that question...grin

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
I just had the same thing happen yesterday to me. Went to adjust the rear brakes and seen a whole lot of fluid in the wheel. I thought at first it may be the axle seal, so I took off the drum and could see some fluid on the cup of the wheel cylinder. I also did the smell test because axle dope really stinks. :). went to the local Napa and glad they had the cylinders in stock, bought the left (which was bad) and bought the right just to have, because I'm sure that one is next. It was about an 1 1/2 hour job.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
When I removed the wheel hub, there was some oily mess inside the hub, not much, but residue. Wheel cylinder does not appear to be leaking rubber seals or boots were dry.
Ok if they both smell different what are they supposed to smell like? Gotta love that question...grin
The best way to determine a difference in smell is to compare it with the smell of some brake fluid, whether whats in your master cylinder or a new bottle of brake fluid. Gear oil is very thick in comparison and has strong, funky odor to it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I just checked and could not smell any odor it's black and just caked on the lower part of the backing plate, some on the inside, thinking if it was brake fluid would not the brake get weak and fade out over time. I thinking axle, but might be wise to rebuild it all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.