Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I have a brand new brake system on my '56 gasser. It has a dual master cycliner and manual disc on the front. Drums on the back. It seems I have to pump the brakes 2-3 times to get a good pedal. I have the car on the lift and don't see any leaks or problems. Fluid is adequate. I also have a 64 SS with the same setup and those brakes are right there the first time. Any suggestions/ideas would be appreciated. Thank you, Carmine.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,084 Posts
Is the pedal hard after it is pumped, caused by air in system?
If the link between the pedal and M/C is too long, enough fluid may not be flowing into the M/C piston.

·
Registered
887 Posts
When you installed the front calipers did you install them with the bleeder on top or on bottom? If on the bottom you will probably never get the system bled of air as the air gets trapped in the top half of the caliper.

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The bleeders for the front disc were on top. Just finished bleeding the brakes and the pedal is much improved. One pump and its where it should be. When I bled the brakes, I put a rag over the bleeder so the fluid wouldn't go all over the place. Couple that with my hearing deficit and I'm not sure if any air came out or not. But, it must have because the brake pedal is much better. Thank you one and all for your help, Carmine.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
The bleeders for the front disc were on top. Just finished bleeding the brakes and the pedal is much improved. One pump and its where it should be. When I bled the brakes, I put a rag over the bleeder so the fluid wouldn't go all over the place. Couple that with my hearing deficit and I'm not sure if any air came out or not. But, it must have because the brake pedal is much better. Thank you one and all for your help, Carmine.
Use a small rubber hose. Attach to bleeder port and run the hose into a jar of brake fluid. Air will bleed out but no air will get back in. Jim

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
When I bled the brakes, I put a rag over the bleeder so the fluid wouldn't go all over the place. Couple that with my hearing deficit and I'm not sure if any air came out or not.

I use an Oxygen concentrator when I sleep and change 30 feet of hose about every 2 weeks.The hose fits perfectly over the tri-5 brake bleeders and I have a jar that catches the fluid.The hose is clear and you can see through it and tell if there is any bubbles coming out.
The hoses are handy and useful for quite a few things. A while back I offered said hose here to anyone who needed or wanted some..There were no takers. If you need/want some PM me your address. The price is right (free)

·
Registered
8,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I bled the brakes, I put a rag over the bleeder so the fluid wouldn't go all over the place. Couple that with my hearing deficit and I'm not sure if any air came out or not.

I use an Oxygen concentrator when I sleep and change 30 feet of hose about every 2 weeks.The hose fits perfectly over the tri-5 brake bleeders and I have a jar that catches the fluid.The hose is clear and you can see through it and tell if there is any bubbles coming out.
The hoses are handy and useful for quite a few things. A while back I offered said hose here to anyone who needed or wanted some..There were no takers. If you need/want some PM me your address. The price is right (free)
Thank you very much Fred, but I think I'm good for now, Carmine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.