Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1955 Chev with power disc brakes on the front and drum on the rear.
I used a 9 in brake booster from Heidt along with their master Cylinder and proportioning valve. After I installed everything and bled the brakes I adjusted the rod that goes from the brake pedal thru the firewall and into the back of the master cylinder. When I first thought I had the rod adjusted properly I took the car for a ride and after a mile the front brakes locked up. I got the car back to the shop and set out to adjust the rod a little better. So I took the top off the Master Cylinder and pumped the brake pedal (with a helper) and was then able to learn the proper adjustment.
To make a long story short in order to keep the rod from apyling pressure on the brake system I had to back the rod off until the brake pedal does not begin to stop the car until the pedal is almost on the floor. If I try to adjust the rod any longer it starts appyling the brakes
Anyone familiar with this problem
Gary Howard dba Garys Gearbox

·
Registered
594 Posts
Did you convert over from manual brakes? If I'm not mistaken, there are different mounting holes on the pedal. Maybe something to look into.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The Rod Between the Booster and Master Cylinder is Critical it must have about 1/8 of an inch Between them. You Should be able to Adjust the Rod Between the Pedal and Booster to about what ever Height you need. Also you need the Spring to Return the Pedal Back to the up Position. Hope this Helps:anim_25:

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Did you convert over from manual brakes? If I'm not mistaken, there are different mounting holes on the pedal. Maybe something to look into.
Wow, never thought about that, I will look into it

Thank you for your very thoughtful appraoch this is why I love this site

Gary aka the muncie man

·
Premium Member
974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got It

The Rod Between the Booster and Master Cylinder is Critical it must have about 1/8 of an inch Between them. You Should be able to Adjust the Rod Between the Pedal and Booster to about what ever Height you need. Also you need the Spring to Return the Pedal Back to the up Position. Hope this Helps:anim_25:
Thank you

Gary

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,025 Posts
....... You Should be able to Adjust the Rod Between the Pedal and Booster to about what ever Height you need. Also you need the Spring to Return the Pedal Back to the up Position. Hope this Helps:anim_25:
The height of the pedal is fixed by the rubber bumper up-stop. The rod is adjusted to get a slight bit of freeplay before you feel the pedal pushing on the booster spring tension. ...... http://www.trifive.com/garage/55%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/5-2.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts