Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of the four piston caliper Strange disc brakes on the rear and for the life of me can't get 'em to not squeak? Two sets of pads, bedded in and both sets have squeaked, no idea where to start trouble shooting this?

Phil

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
One man's squeak is another man's squeal, so not sure of the noise, but many times these types of noises are the pads rubbing/ moving against the piston, not the pad material on the rotor. Some pad kits come with a friction plate that goes in between the piston and pad, most auto parts store carry some type of lube you thinly spread on the pad backing plate to reduce noise.

Charlie

·
Premium Member
1,110 Posts
I use a black synthetic caliper grease that I put on the back of the pads and another thing is to take the pads off and and angle the outer edges of the pads using a grinder.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Usually rotor runout causes noise. It's not the pads rubbing the rotor it's the back of the pads rubbing metal, piston or caliper body. While goob and greases can mask the noise generally fixing the runout is what's really required.

·
Registered
5,144 Posts
They squeak/squeal bad when applying the brakes and they are dragging some when no brakes are being applied.

Phil
Maybe the caliper slider pins and bushings need to be
re-greased with some brake lubricant.Sounds like they
may be binding a bit.:anim_25:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts