Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drove my 56 Wagon tonight for the first time. When done, I backed it in my side yard the brake pedal went to the floor!!!

So I filled the Master cylinder and pumped it. The fluid went down, I did that 5 more times and still no pedal. I looked under at all 4 backing plates and they are dry. The car has stock manual brakes, and 4 new wheel cylinders.

In your expert opinions, should I be looking for a leak?? Or Should I just Bleed it??

·
RIP: 10-27-2018
3,279 Posts
You probably have a brake line rotted out on the top of the rear end. (but its somewhere) The other option is that your master cylinder gave up the ghost. (but I doubt that as you are loosing brake fluid)
I would suggest that now is the time for you to install a 67 camero dual master cylinder (or simular) for four wheel drum brakes and split your brake lines at the passenger front wheel T. You only have to run a short brake line from that T to the rear chamber on the master cylinder and you have redundant brakes. The whole thing is around 50 bucks and a good investment.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
51,398 Posts
PC's got it right....If there's no signs of the wheel cylinders leaking, then its probably the M/C....Usually, when a M/C goes bad the fluid will leak past the secodary cup and onto the carpet.

Good advice about the dual M/C as well.....While your at it, you might as well add a power booster for some real stopping power.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Get down under the dash and check where the master cylinder mounts to the firewall on the inside of the car. The rear seal may have failed and can be leaking fluid into the passenger compartment.

Don

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
If it is leaking under the carpet, clean the fluid up good. Brake fluid left unattended likes to remove paint and premote RUST. If you let it go, you might end up with a "flintstone" floor board and be able to use your feet for brakes! Just thought I'd mention it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I Moved the car today (Fun with only the E-Brake) and looked on the ground for a wet spot. Found it. Looked under the car in that spot and there it was. The leak is coming from a Coupling just under the passenger side front door. I didn't get a chance to mess with it, but at least I know where it is.
I like PC's suggestion on a dual MC. I think that is the way to go. Thanks for the idea's and that tip!!!!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I got a new MC for a 65 Impala on my 55, as the leaking one on it was from a F***! It actually had one chamber larger than the other, but the 65 Impala are equal.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
I think the larger chamber feeds the front DISK brakes on that F**d MC as they take more fluid than the drum brake cylinders do.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
No doubt, the PO's weren't too bright! The thing is, the rear chamber was bigger - aren't the GM's bigger in the front chamber?

·
3,279 Posts
Spar, you might want to consider replacing the brake line from the rear end forward. There shouldn't be a joint under the passenger front seat. The only joint on the rear lines should be near the brass T on the right front wheel.

The previous owner probably bought 6 ft lengths of tubing. You can purchase 25 ft coils of brake line from your local parts store and a double flaring tool and make one piece fuel and brake lines. Double flares arn't all that hard to do. I make all my own fuel and brake lines. While I am on the topic, avoid compression fittings. Your local parts store will have a WEATHERHEAD display that contains a brass union that takes a double flared screw in brake line fitting. Thats the way to go.

Whatever master cylinder you get, it should have two chambers the same size and a deep hole for the push rod. Its a direct bolt on. You do not need a proportioning valve for a all drum setup. Good luck with your project.
Gary

·
Registered
817 Posts
I would suggest converting to a dual master cylender and changing out the brake lines at this point. not very expensive and stopping when you put your foot on the brakes is always important. as you have found out with the original single master on the cars one line goes and you are dragging your feet and yanking the E brake. There are many dual masters that will work on our cars a quick search should yield the info you will need. GL

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
I got a new MC for a 65 Impala on my 55, as the leaking one on it was from a F***! It actually had one chamber larger than the other, but the 65 Impala are equal.
My 65 BelAir has a single master cylinder - I'm going to change it to a dual someday. Do you mean a 69 Impala as they had dual master cylinders?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Maybe it was a 66, but I knew the discs came out around 67 or 68 and Iwanted to make sure I didn't get one of those. Also, maybe there was a difference between Bel Air and Impala brakes?

I can get you the part number if you want it, I'm at work now, it'll be a few hours.

·
3,279 Posts
Maybe it was a 66, but I knew the discs came out around 67 or 68 and Iwanted to make sure I didn't get one of those. Also, maybe there was a difference between Bel Air and Impala brakes?

I can get you the part number if you want it, I'm at work now, it'll be a few hours.
67 was the GM changeover, I think Corvettes were earlier. The 67 cameo and firebird were available with 4 wheel drum brakes or optionally disc druim. I imagine the full size cars were about the same time. I always asked for a 67 camero drum drum MC because thats what the old CCC club suggested but I think they are pretty much all the same. I think the last one I got was rebuilt and under 40 dollars at NAPA.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I disconnected the rear brakes today and plugged off the block. Filled the master cylinder and couldn't get it to pump up at all. I was thinking I would at least get some brakes, but i have nothing. Do I just need to bleed them?? I just need enough brakes to get the car into my driveway where I am up dating to a Camaro dual MC.

·
Registered
4,761 Posts
You could try bleeding the front brakes now that the rear line is plugged. Check for brake fluid coming out of the rear of the master cylinder into the drivers compartment. You could also get a small brake line and bend it so it would pump from the discharge of the master to the reservoir. You would be able to see if it is pumping now that it is disconnected from the main line.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts