Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Working on my 355 engine and made some changes. Mainly from a roller to hyd. flat tappet cam. Never gave oil consideration as I was going roller, now need advice.:confused0006:

The oil formulation isn't there anymore for use with flat tappet cams like it once was. What oil do you guys reccomend for break in and regular oil changes.
Oh, by the way...I live in Canada....eh?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
breakin oil

First I'd start with whatever lube is recomended by your cam manf. Some will only honor a warranty if you use their own brand lube. If a cam is returned for warranty reasons they could take a swipe of the bearing surfaces and do a chemical analysis

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,369 Posts

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,369 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi Guys,

Working on my 355 engine and made some changes. Mainly from a roller to hyd. flat tappet cam. Never gave oil consideration as I was going roller, now need advice.:confused0006:

The oil formulation isn't there anymore for use with flat tappet cams like it once was. What oil do you guys reccomend for break in and regular oil changes.
Oh, by the way...I live in Canada....eh?

Thanks
I use Joe Gibbs break-in oil for my builds. Run the engine for an hour, never going over 4000 RPM's, then shut it down, let it cool off and change the oil (again with the break-in oil). I then change it after 500 miles with a 5W30.
For the build, I usually use Comp Cam assembly lube.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts