Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 410 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone:

Although I haven't posted much on this board yet, I've been reading a bunch of threads here and gathering info and inspiration for my car- a '55 2 door post. And guess what- I want to build a gasser with it. Now, I'm just wrapping up a 5.5 year build on another car of mine- a '67 Firebird and I'm still working the bugs out of that one, so I'm not really itching to get into this too heavy just yet (and the funds need to replenish, too) but I figured I may as well start a build thread here. It may keep me motivated to keep going on it.

The plan is for a rough n dirty low budget build. Nothing pretty. Sparce interior, etc. yet drivable. I'm partly inspired from everybody's favorite gasser from 2lbt so it may look something like this. If it scares prius drivers I'll grin from ear to ear.

The car I bought is rough and it was cheap. It was a stalled race car project. The floor is gone, and there was some caked dirt underneath. However, it came with glass doors, front clip and trunk a la 2lbt, so I'm happy that I have these already. The car came with wheel tubs, a 9" housing and an aftermarket leaf spring set up, as well as chrome-moly tubular control arms for the front. I sold those arms and sourced a front axle from a '57 Chevy truck as well as some 200s rims from another member on this board. I also have a few boxes of loose various parts for the car which will help.

Today I started cutting the floor out. Although I do have replacement pans it looks like I'll need some seat bracing and inner rockers, too. I'll have more time between Christmas and the new year so hopefully I'll get more of the old floor removed.

I'll keep adding to this as I go along. The choice of engine is not finalized yet. Nor is the trans, though I do know it'll have a clutch pedal whatever I end up with.

Attachments

·
Registered
67,066 Posts
cool project. :anim_25:

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Wow bare bones .Good luck. Mike

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Small update. Had a couple of hours today to make a mess of rust and debris in my driveway and I cut more of my floor out. Below is all that's left of my original floor pan that I'll keeping, ha ha. Since I have them I decided to replace all of the inner rocker panels and I need to repair one of the floor supports, anyways. I also made some quick supports to make sure the body doesn't move or collapse as there isn't much left to support the body on the chassis. My plan is to replace the rockers, reuse the main floor supports and reinstall these first. Then I'll replace the floor pan after the structure in reinstalled. After that I'll tackle the trunk floor area once the car is structural again.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,118 Posts
Small update. Had a couple of hours today to make a mess of rust and debris in my driveway and I cut more of my floor out. Below is all that's left of my original floor pan that I'll keeping, ha ha. Since I have them I decided to replace all of the inner rocker panels and I need to repair one of the floor supports, anyways. I also made some quick supports to make sure the body doesn't move or collapse as there isn't much left to support the body on the chassis. My plan is to replace the rockers, reuse the main floor supports and reinstall these first. Then I'll replace the floor pan after the structure in reinstalled. After that I'll tackle the trunk floor area once the car is structural again.
MAN!, you flat tore right into that thing!

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
That's a lot of metal to remove at one time, even with bracing! Sure hope it's enough to retain the original measurements during the rebuild!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I still have a lot to take apart including the inner rockers and front passenger foot well area. Then I need to clean up the floor supports that I'll reuse and rebuild one corner area of one. If all goes to plan I'll just put it back in reverse of how I took it apart inner rockers- middle supports- floor pan sheet metal. I've marked my rockers where the middle brace goes, and since my body is temporarily welded to my chassis it "should" make putting it back the same way and aligning to the frame bolt holes easier. the lower round tube support holding the back of my car body is .120 DOM (leftover rollbar stock) so I know that won't give way. I shook the car, even stood on the rockers and the body is staying put at the moment. I've used equal sized spacers over every body mount hole to evenly lift the body over the frame. This is what's giving me space to work and remove the middle of the floor. As long as I align back to this hopefully it'll get me close to where I was. I do not expect the aftermarket stuff to be exact. I'm sure I'll be using plenty of hammering, bending, trimming, cleckos and clamps to align it together before welding.

If I'm delusional in my approach or am missing something please let me know. I won't be offended to hear that I'm doing it wrong.

1 - 20 of 410 Posts