Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

361 - 380 of 410 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #363 ·
What did you do with the wheel well openings you cut out?
They were cut up in the process, but they wouldn't have been usable for you anyway. A previous owner pieced them together humpty dumpty, so they were never solid or straight to begin with.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #364 ·
The guys painting my car shared more progress pics from this weekend, and I'm super excited. It's really starting to come together now!

IMG_8510lr.jpg
IMG_8511lr.jpg
IMG_8512lr.jpg
IMG_8509lr.jpg
IMG_8507lr.jpg
IMG_8508lr.jpg
IMG_8513lr.jpg
IMG_8515lr.jpg
IMG_8516lr.jpg
IMG_8517lr.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
NICE!!

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #366 ·
I brought my '55 home yesterday, and now I can start putting it back together. It has aged slightly since my last round of pics, ha ha. I took the pics shown here this morning and only did a few things today like washing the insides out to get rid of the wet sanding residue and debris, and realize that I'll need to repaint the insides, which I hope to do next weekend. I also have a couple small things to fix and then I can continue to keep assembling
IMG_8622lowres.jpg
IMG_E8629web.jpg
IMG_E8630lowres.jpg
IMG_E8631web.jpg
IMG_E8632web.jpg
IMG_E8633lowres.jpg
IMG_E8634web.jpg
IMG_E8636web.jpg
IMG_E8642lowres.jpg
IMG_E8635web.jpg

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
Totally didn’t see that coming😯
I love the primer contrast keeps the eyes confused........ so is the paint all scuffed flat? I really like it!
your going to get some use outta that fuel filler🥴
How’s the back healing? Hope your on the mend still.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #369 ·
Totally didn’t see that coming😯
I love the primer contrast keeps the eyes confused........ so is the paint all scuffed flat? I really like it!
your going to get some use outta that fuel filler🥴
How’s the back healing? Hope your on the mend still.
yeah, it was first painted with primer on the fiberglass areas and a rusty brown paint on the metal areas, then the green, the graphics and a combination of sanding it down along with some additional brown added, and a clear over it to seal it up. The biggest tell that it isn't original is it's all one layer. no texture/ levels/ depth to it. All my chrome is old which will help add to the look.

My back is doing well so far, thank you for asking. I'm just over one month into my recovery. I'm not supposed to do any bending/ lifting/ twisting for 3 months, but there's no way I can sit idly by for two months and do nothing. So I'll just go slow, be mindful of my movements and try not to lift anything heavy. I also need to be mindful of bending and twisting so this means which I can see myself doing when I'm plumbing fuel lines and wiring, ha ha

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #370 ·
Had a good first weekend working on the car. Although it appears I jumped all over the place, several of the projects I did had to come first, and I installed a few items while waiting for paint to dry...

• relocated the pass shock mount (turns out I screwed up when building and it wasn't quite level with the driver side)
  • painted the engine bay, interior and trunk areas. They were all roughed up from being in the desert and had overspray from the exterior painting
  • located and drilled the holes for my tachometer in the dash
  • finished adding door weatherstripping, and finished the seatbelt strap window "regulators" it's up or down, no in between, old race car style
  • installed the fuel cell
  • installed the engine, trans, power steering box, radiator and core support
  • added a few items in the dash that will not be functional when done. they are just the facings with no guts behind them.
  • welded a bracket onto my replacement steering column (my first one fell while I was painting it and broke)
  • added the cowl weatherstripping and cowl vent panel

Hopefully during evenings throughout the week I can install smaller items and just keep building. In mid April I'll take some time off and hopefully I'll be ready to start wiring then. We'll see...

KGPF6837lowres.jpg
INDF0639lr.jpg
DFPL6766lr.jpg
IMG_E8712lr.jpg
IMG_E8714lr.jpg
IMG_E8713lr.jpg
IMG_8717lr.jpg
IMG_E8718lr.jpg
IMG_E8716lr.jpg

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #376 ·
I made the most of my weekend and made some progress on the '55. My big objectives were to get the brake pedal/ clutch pedal hooked up, and the rear side windows in, also determined that I need yet another alternator bracket (turns out I don't like the OEM one and I got the wrong first aftermarket one), also located some of the hardware components like my catch can, MSD box, coil and main fuse box. Oh, and installed the headers, too. Earlier in the week I snuck out and did a few little things like bleed and install the shocks, as well as install the front turn signal lights. Every little thing counts. The last pic gives a wierd reflection of the side window, but it's fine from other views.

IMG_E8913lr.jpg
IMG_E8912lr.jpg
IMG_E8911lr.jpg
IMG_E8910lr.jpg
IMG_E8908lr.jpg
IMG_E8905lr.jpg

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #378 ·
It doesn't look like much, but I was able to get some work done this weekend- assembled the front calipers, bent the front brake lines, and rear brake lines, too. All that's missing is one proper sizes adaptor from the proportioning valve to the rear line which is on order and that'll be done (zip ties currently holding it in place). I made some progress on bending the hard fuel lines, too. Also realized I needed AN fittings for that, too, which now are on order. Then I got side tracked today and ended up completing the parking brake assembly all to realize that I can't really pull it now that it's assembled. Will have to look into it later. Perhaps I have too many bends in the cables? It's not critical that it be working at this moment, but having it in place will be good as I work on the exhaust system. Also added the alternator which Im happy with the location, and ordered a few more electrical items which is why I'm paused on that part of the assembly right now. I also took measurements for a driveshaft which I still need to get.

IMG_E8941lr.jpg
IMG_E8942lr.jpg
IMG_E8946lr.jpg
IMG_E8947lr.jpg
IMG_E8948lr.jpg
IMG_E8949lr.jpg
IMG_E8952lr.jpg
IMG_E8953lr.jpg
IMG_E8954lr.jpg
IMG_E8955lr.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,125 Posts
Cant tell if your alt is a one wire or not but, if it is are you planning to run a relay to cut the alt power when you switch off? Just curious because I’m in the middle of planning mine. My new fuse panel has an ‘alt exciter’ wire and I’m thinking about using that wire to a relay. Wondering what your plans are..?

361 - 380 of 410 Posts