Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

381 - 400 of 410 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #381 ·
Cant tell if your alt is a one wire or not but, if it is are you planning to run a relay to cut the alt power when you switch off? Just curious because I’m in the middle of planning mine. My new fuse panel has an ‘alt exciter’ wire and I’m thinking about using that wire to a relay. Wondering what your plans are..?
yes, it is a one wire alt. and yes, I do plan on using a relay to cut the alternator off. I ordered some goodies from Mad Electrical and am waiting for them to show up. I got the NHRA cut off kit which is mentioned at the bottom of this page that does this, as opposed to just cutting the + side of the battery: Catalog

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #382 ·
This weekend I finished up mounting the larger sections of the fuel lines and started on my exhaust system. It's just mocked up in place and tacked together right now, and there'll be two sections that are clamped together which will allow it to taken this apart, and the rest will be welded up. Will need to take this back off so I can thoroughly weld it, trim the hangers and install the clamps. I also need to install one O2 bung for the fuel injection system. I plan to paint it with some hi temp black paint to help minimize the flash rust and keep it subdued.

As for the fuel lines, there are two smaller hard lines that run up behind the engine which are already made, and all that's left are making the flexible lines to the engine and to the fuel tank itself. I'll be using braided PTFE hose. I figure if I get time after work to work on this projects like that are manageable, and quiet during the evening hours to do. Not so much with cutting and grinding exhaust tubing

MSJR2115lr.jpg
IMG_E9007lr.jpg
IMG_E8994lr.jpg
IMG_E8993lr.jpg
BHXI1598lr.jpg
IMG_E9002lr.jpg
IMG_E9003lr.jpg
IMG_E9004lr.jpg
IMG_E9005lr.jpg
IMG_E9008lr.jpg

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #385 ·
thanks, guys! It's getting there. A few things that I didn't anticipate taking so long to get.. .window glass. my car seems to be too old for the mobile places to come and install, so I'm needing to order it, and it's on back order. I just ordered the driveshaft today- that's 8 weeks back order, too... guess I'd better call about tires soon, ha haha (that's the last of the big spend items I need)

·
Registered
235 Posts
yes, it is a one wire alt. and yes, I do plan on using a relay to cut the alternator off. I ordered some goodies from Mad Electrical and am waiting for them to show up. I got the NHRA cut off kit which is mentioned at the bottom of this page that does this, as opposed to just cutting the + side of the battery: Catalog
Make sure you buy the right thing. I installed the battery cut out relay on the firewall and found that the one-wire alternator would not force the engine to shut off when the battery switch in the trunk was turned off. To fix this, I added a cutout switch to the battery cutout switch in the trunk. Now the battery switch kills everything. If you look at the MAD pdf, at the bottom, it says "We also have a special system for NHRA Drag Racing & Main Disconnect Switch".

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #387 ·
Make sure you buy the right thing. I installed the battery cut out relay on the firewall and found that the one-wire alternator would not force the engine to shut off when the battery switch in the trunk was turned off. To fix this, I added a cutout switch to the battery cutout switch in the trunk. Now the battery switch kills everything. If you look at the MAD pdf, at the bottom, it says "We also have a special system for NHRA Drag Racing & Main Disconnect Switch".
yeah, I ordered that special system, and was on the phone with the guy for a documented 90 minutes. he really likes to talk. got a few other things too. though it hasn't shown up yet.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #392 ·
small updates. Last weekend I painted my exhaust pieces and this weekend I made some progress on the wiring. It's just getting roughed in, and will look much cleaner once I have it all in place, tighted up and some loom on it. Connections are crimped then soldered for a solid connection.

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
small updates. Last weekend I painted my exhaust pieces and this weekend I made some progress on the wiring. It's just getting roughed in, and will look much cleaner once I have it all in place, tighted up and some loom on it. Connections are crimped then soldered for a solid connection.
Looks like you got everything except the aux switch from the push/pull.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #396 ·
Looks like you got everything except the aux switch from the push/pull.
thanks! I think I need to get one of those push pull switches. I currently have one of these, but I like your idea of being able to add a pin to prevent activating it

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #398 ·
I took a couple days off of work last week and continued on the wiring. Still not finished yet, but I got a good chunk of it done. Once it is finished I'll clean up the wires and make it more presentable. As usual, I still have to order a few little parts here and there. Example- the brake switch. The clutch pedal assy I had bought had an original, but it didn't work well enough to trust. Upon trying to take it apart to clean it internally the housing shattered on me, so now I need a new one. I also decided I should make the license plate lights operational (one less reason to get pulled over) and I need new bulbs, too. little things like that..

Other good news- my window glass and seals arrived this weekend and I had found someone willing to come to my house to install it. This was one job I'm glad I farmed out. I have never tried this one before, and even seeing it be done up close does not look like a one person job for the inexperienced.

Last pics are of some fan made custom Hot Wheels replicated of my car. One can even go on ebay and buy decals of my graphics. Hilarious 1/64 '55 Chevy "Triassic-Five" Gasser Decal SCR-0854 | eBay wow, 29 sold! Maybe I should be offering "official" ones for sale, ha ha ha

IMG_9213lr.jpg
IMG_E9236lr.jpg
IMG_E9235lr.jpg
IMG_E9234lr.jpg
Triassic-Five HW lr.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Your car's a star! That's wild.

Reactions: Tuske427

·
Premium Member
13,125 Posts
Boy that was fast! Maybe you should copyright that name, and even faster! Dale Earnhardt Sr copyrighted his name, and went on to make gazillions from it.

381 - 400 of 410 Posts