Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
501 - 520 of 540 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #501 ·
Well, this weekend was a success. I drove the '55 down to San Diego and attended the Good Guys show in Del MAr. FITech was kind enough to invite me down, hook me up with tix and let me park in their spot. The '55 was a crowd pleaser and drew folks in all day. Then I got in and drove it home too. Traffic was a bit rougher on the way home but other than consuming some fuel, it worked well. I didn't take many pics of my car there, but I know others did and pics are starting to show up online.

I did discover a drip of gear oil in my garage the next day, but it turns out it came up through the overflow vent/ hose and dribbled into the trunk and leaked back down. I may look into a catch can for it, but I also don't know how much gear oil was added as it had the original fluid from the axle builder.

My car is 500 miles now so I'll be changing that soon- after the Hot Wheels convention this upcoming weekend. I did get the engine oil changed, and will address the trans and diff after I get back.

On a side note, I don't think I have a drain on my 9" housing, and I do not wish to take the wheels/ brakes/ axles and carrier out just to drain fluid. I've seen some folks drill and tap a thread for either a plug or pipe thread fitting. suggestions welcomed for that. If I did this I'd do it to the side to not interfere with jacking or be the low hanging piece dead center under the pumpkin.

Cloud Tire Wheel Sky Car

·
Registered
1955 sport coupe, blown BBC, Jeffco 4spd work in progress
4 Posts
Well, this weekend was a success. I drove the '55 down to San Diego and attended the Good Guys show in Del MAr. FITech was kind enough to invite me down, hook me up with tix and let me park in their spot. The '55 was a crowd pleaser and drew folks in all day. Then I got in and drove it home too. Traffic was a bit rougher on the way home but other than consuming some fuel, it worked well. I didn't take many pics of my car there, but I know others did and pics are starting to show up online.

I did discover a drip of gear oil in my garage the next day, but it turns out it came up through the overflow vent/ hose and dribbled into the trunk and leaked back down. I may look into a catch can for it, but I also don't know how much gear oil was added as it had the original fluid from the axle builder.

My car is 500 miles now so I'll be changing that soon- after the Hot Wheels convention this upcoming weekend. I did get the engine oil changed, and will address the trans and diff after I get back.

On a side note, I don't think I have a drain on my 9" housing, and I do not wish to take the wheels/ brakes/ axles and carrier out just to drain fluid. I've seen some folks drill and tap a thread for either a plug or pipe thread fitting. suggestions welcomed for that. If I did this I'd do it to the side to not interfere with jacking or be the low hanging piece dead center under the pumpkin.

View attachment 348792
You can drill it for a 1/4" pipe plug with a allen head, that way it would not interfere with a jack

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #505 · (Edited)
probably overdue for an update.

We had our Hot Wheels collectors convention the other week, and I bought my '55 there. Lots of collectors were all over it, I'm sure there are pics online if anyone is into collecting Hot wheels I'm sure you'll see it. I als omade a small run of T shirts, too. that was fun. it went over much better than I thought it would, too. We basically sold out of them in 2 days. Also, at the convention they have an auction to raise $$ for charity- Make a Wish Foundation, and I donated the cut out of my hood and would sketch on it for the winner- it went for $1,100 or so. amazing.

This past weekend I drove back down to San Diego and had my car on display at the San Diego Automotive Museum at their fund raising gala event. Don Prudhomme was there, too, and I'm kicking myself for not getting the chance to say hi and show him my car. I think he took off right after he made his speech, which I can understand, too.

And, last night I pulled my front axle off and sent it out to get straightened, so my car will be down for a couple of weeks. I figured this will be a good time as I have to leave early for SEMA to load my Firebird there which means I'll be missing the Lions event now anyway, so I may as well get it done.

Hair Joint Jeans Outerwear Hairstyle
Art Font Symbol Wood Pattern
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Sky
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car
Sky World Entertainment Red Font
Wheel Tire Plant Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle Grille
Vehicle Tire Grille Car Wheel

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #506 ·
overdue for another update...

1- got my front axle back and reinstalled it. During this time I also built some stronger drag links and tried thicker shims (4º), but was experiencing death wobble with this so I put the 3º shimbs back in. I also got it aligned again and no more death wobble. Car looks better with vertical wheels in front, ha ha
2- I got my car tuned on Saturday. Drivability is so much better now. I was experiencing a slight bog on part throttle acceleration and that's gone now. They also ran a few pulls and a video is here: Dyno pull The #'s in the video vary slightly from my attachment, so I'm not sure what to definitively say my engine makes, so I'll just go with the video as the HP is slightly higher :D
3- After this I met up at the March Air Force museum and my photographer for an afternoon photoshoot of my car. I took a few pics with my iphone, but they are crap compared to what he shot (as to be expected with a good photographer) I can't share his pics just yet, but once I will you'll see exactly what I mean.

Attachments

·
Registered
608 Posts
You really nailed the stance on your car, great photo's. It looks like you got the Fitech Injection issues sorted out the engine HP looks like it's pushing over 600 you have to be happy with the results. A bit of a road to get the car where it is today but definitely well worth the time invested and most importantly your having fun. And who gets their car made into Hot Wheel that is an awesome experience to be proud of.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #508 ·
You really nailed the stance on your car, great photo's. It looks like you got the Fitech Injection issues sorted out the engine HP looks like it's pushing over 600 you have to be happy with the results. A bit of a road to get the car where it is today but definitely well worth the time invested and most importantly your having fun. And who gets their car made into Hot Wheel that is an awesome experience to be proud of.
Thank you, Stewart. Yeah, I am happy with the results so far. Next task is to swap out one of the gauges on the dash and to sort out a higher speed vibration issue. I think it's my rear tires, but it's possible my driveshaft is contributing to it as well. Around 70mph+ I get a shaking and it seems to be there whether the car is under load or coasting (unloaded) until it drops below this speed. Road conditions affect it, too. the rear tires are not balanced (the place I took it to said they couldn't balance them, they were too far out so I may try another tire place that deals with larger truck/ off road tires. maybe they have better equipment? I believe he even rotated the tires and reseated them, too. Tires are the Towel City pie crust cheater slicks...

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
Well it seems for some reason the ole new site hasn’t been giving me prompts for your updates…… I feel I missed out on the applause 👏 !
The Triassic 5 is a work of art in itself and you have successfully built something wicked!

That slick ride makes me want to scuff all the shine and luster off my car and give it some edge, but then I figured I’d just get it out a few times in the coming months and watch it rot without even lifting a finger due to my location 😕
I’m happy for ya it’s all coming together and let me know if ya ever need gas money that car belongs on the road as much as possible!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thank you, Stewart. Yeah, I am happy with the results so far. Next task is to swap out one of the gauges on the dash and to sort out a higher speed vibration issue. I think it's my rear tires, but it's possible my driveshaft is contributing to it as well. Around 70mph+ I get a shaking and it seems to be there whether the car is under load or coasting (unloaded) until it drops below this speed. Road conditions affect it, too. the rear tires are not balanced (the place I took it to said they couldn't balance them, they were too far out so I may try another tire place that deals with larger truck/ off road tires. maybe they have better equipment? I believe he even rotated the tires and reseated them, too. Tires are the Towel City pie crust cheater slicks...
Regarding your Death Wobble. I had an issue that was solved by adjusting the Toe-in. I set it a 3/16" and it work great!

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
11,952 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #513 ·
The HW is in purple too!
yeah, it's a recolor. Wife likes purple... :D

·
Registered
608 Posts
Brandon what a sand bagger, the clip starts out and I am thinking "man" this guy is a solid presenter I never caught you are designer for Hot Wheels. Great clip, you convey the conviction and passion in what you love doing both in your professional and personal life, most will never find that space. I saw Two Lane Black Top in 72 when I was twelve I was sucked in right from the first scene with Big Willey as the street race flagger and right in your backyard. That is why I am fully emersed in the hobby today only true Gearheads can appreciate the behind the scenes of real builders like Richard Ruth and racers like Jay Wheatly that supported the production of TLB. The 55 had the best dialogue with the BBC and the whine of an M-22. Your 55 sounds and looks badass!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #516 ·
Love the video! Really good presentation!
Some guy on Facebook was claiming he built the car.
I told him I followed your build and we even compared notes a time or two.
Like many others on this site, motor oil runs in my veins.
thank you, and wow, that's first. I'm almost curious as to who would even claim that they built it, ha ha

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #517 ·
Brandon what a sand bagger, the clip starts out and I am thinking "man" this guy is a solid presenter I never caught you are designer for Hot Wheels. Great clip, you convey the conviction and passion in what you love doing both in your professional and personal life, most will never find that space. I saw Two Lane Black Top in 72 when I was twelve I was sucked in right from the first scene with Big Willey as the street race flagger and right in your backyard. That is why I am fully emersed in the hobby today only true Gearheads can appreciate the behind the scenes of real builders like Richard Ruth and racers like Jay Wheatly that supported the production of TLB. The 55 had the best dialogue with the BBC and the whine of an M-22. Your 55 sounds and looks badass!
Ha ha, thank you, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. re: presenting- I'm probably my own worst critic, but I nearly cringe watching myself speak. I see myself as choppy, nevervous, and I want to re-do the entire thing. Yeah, the movie had a similar effect on me, only I didn't see it until the year 2000.

501 - 520 of 540 Posts