Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe that one of the liftgates from the 1955 Safari's that I am parting out is one of the first cast bronze or brass liftgates. THe body number of the car is CL 194. Today at the Tri-5 show in Issaquah WA, I talked to a gentleman from Canada that said he at one time owned Nomad number 94 I believe and it had the same thing.

I guess this is for real. Anybody else have any hands on experience with one of these liftgates?

Thanks

Hotroddder

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Early production gates were cast in the alternate material as well as a few other window pieces, were cast, and later were made from stainless stampings. Someone will know the exact trivia, but I've heard a few hundred. Any potmetal gate, zinc diecast, will eventually blister and pit from internal trapped gasses. Even gates which are replated will most likely have problems. Your gate would not have this problem. I'd keep it!

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a Nomad, and while I really like them, I would not be an owner of one. They are beautifully styled, but the back tailgate deaign makes they hard to use and awkward. The car I am searching for is a 56 Convertible...........

I was wondering why the finish of this liftgate looked so good without pits after all these years when I first saw the cars.

Hotroddder

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
They are beautifully styled, but the back tailgate deaign makes they hard to use and awkward. Hotroddder
Yes indeed, it's positively the worst drop-gate lift-gate design ever released by GM. Not only a pain in the back, but a pain in the wrist, mechanical failures galore, and a leaker to boot. And those cables! Agh! What were they thinking? Obviously not the top-of-the-line model they envisioned!

·
Registered
174 Posts
My new home!!

The way the current housing market is, you just might be able to do that!!:eek:
Nice to visit with you yesterday.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I heard some time ago that the first 300 were brass, and that is why they dont pit or get out of shape. They are a lot heavier than the later potmetal ones. On my first trip to the US in 1979 I was offered one for $300, probably worth a bit more now.:)

Des

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Hotrodder emailed regarding his liftgate when he discovered it was the brass/bronze liftgate. I bugged him for a couple of days and made him an offer he couldnt refuse. Its going to be a great prop for my liftgate restoration business and have no plans at all to sell it or rechrome it. Excited to get it back :party0031: thanks again Dude!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I believe that one of the liftgates from the 1955 Safari's that I am parting out is one of the first cast bronze or brass liftgates. THe body number of the car is CL 194. Today at the Tri-5 show in Issaquah WA, I talked to a gentleman from Canada that said he at one time owned Nomad number 94 I believe and it had the same thing.

I guess this is for real. Anybody else have any hands on experience with one of these liftgates?

Thanks

Hotroddder
did you take any pictures of the xxx tri-5 show DJ55

1 - 13 of 13 Posts