Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got up to go to work....was negative 37....had the Yukon plugged in...so it started fairly easy.....let it warm up for 15 minutes....put it in drive and it hardly wanted to move.....rode like I was driving a block of ICE....not too far from work the power steering let go.....high presser line blew up leaving me with a mess under the hood....and arm-strong steering to get home.....Geeeeesch

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
I can’t imagine what that’s like. My uncle spent some time in Minnesota and told me some stories.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
-70° (actually -69.7°) Rogers Pass, Montana, Jan. 20, 1954

COLDEST EVER IN THE LOWER 48.....THATS ONLY A SHORT DRIVE FROM MY HOUSE !!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Man, I cant even wrap my head around those kinda temps. I remember my first time working in Alaska (it wasn't that cold, maybe a few degrees below zero) and the first thing I noticed was that a lot of cars had pizza boxes covering their grilles and cars that weren't electric were plugged in by extension cords outside of the hotel I was staying at. One of the guys I was working with mentioned how I'd just missed out, apparently a few weeks prior it had been -55! I thought he was pulling my leg at first but his partner swore by it. I feel for 'ya buddy, stay warm.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
15,563 Posts
I'm sure it is beautiful there most of the year but there is absolutely nothing in this world that would convince me to ever live somewhere it gets that cold. The winter sucks bad enough where I am now and I'm not planning on staying here much longer.

·
Premium Member
12,831 Posts
I'm sure it is beautiful there most of the year but there is absolutely nothing in this world that would convince me to ever live somewhere it gets that cold. The winter sucks bad enough where I am now and I'm not planning on staying here much longer.
Montana IS a very beautiful state, especially in the western part. The thing that makes you think though while cruising through it is when you see piles of firewood on the porches taller than you stand. lol

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea.... the cold aint for everyone that's for sure.....keeps a lot of people from moving here....and that's fine by me.....lol....might be cold but they don't salt the roads here....that's why Montana cars are fairly rust free....and we have a lot of nature here to enjoy....in fact Ive had.....moose,elk,deer(whitetail and mulies)skunks,*****,rock chucks,beaver,river otter,and bear,mountain lion all in my back yard.....we also have nesting pairs of Eagles,and Red tailed Hawks..... in the summer I have a river not 500feet from my back yard....can catch Rainbow/brown trout...sauger/walleye any time we feel like it....….so yes....cold winters do suck.....but everything else here is why me and my family stay......Camping here is the "bomb" …. it just part of Montana life....for me anyway

·
Registered
66,712 Posts
glad you got home safe.

Reactions: KRUNK !!!!

·
Registered
816 Posts
The timing on this one is kinda funny for me; currently reside near Denver, and now that my daughter is out of high school, my wife is adamant that we move somewhere warmer (she grew up in Montana, and I would move there in a second- but she is NOT having it). And she’s grumpy with me that the weather here in Bagram has been fairly nice this the last few weeks.

Anyway...she’s beginning to catch on that my work trips often seem to occur over the Winter...!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
I guess I shouldn’t complain of a high of 29 degrees here today. A few years back I worked with a school from Fairbanks Alaska when they were visiting DC. The kids were wearing shorts and light coats and it was 22 degrees. It was minus 40 when they left home and they all said it felt like spring to them. The coldest weather I ever experienced was minus 18. I think there is a certain temp were you can’t tell the difference anymore because you are just numb.

·
Registered
36,526 Posts
The kids were wearing shorts and light coats and it was 22 degrees. It was minus 40 when they left home and they all said it felt like spring to them.
That's a bit extreme but I can relate. I made my first work trip to Prudhoe Bay way back when, got off the plane and it was -38° with ice fog. Ice fog feels like thousands of needles in your nose. I reached in my duffel bag and put on just about every piece of cold weather gear I had (which was actually too much). The next day they brought in a plane load of natives and they got off the plane in T shirts. It was -22°. I'll admit they didn't stay outside very long.

Later that trip it got up to 5° above with no wind one day, and it did feel like a heat wave. But nobody was wearing shorts and light coats.

All that was in Prudhoe Bay (arctic sea coast). Went to the Fairbanks area after that. We sat in a seismic camp for several days because it was 50°+. Couldn't work because everything was melting. Sat in the break room watching satellite TV, they were worried about the citrus crop in Florida. I guess it can't be cold everywhere at once.

But no more. I went out tonight to fill up the truck's gas tank and purchase some goodies. It's 30° and windy and I was COLD. I don't need this. Going to be 8-10° Tuesday am and that's a big deal for Houston.

·
Premium Member
12,831 Posts
Out here in whacky-land where I live there has hardy been much precipt, and many of the days have been in the 60’s lately. I can’t tell you how much I hate that because I’m a winter lover. Winter is my favorite time of year, and I really hate summers here. I guess we all have our own weather complaints.

To KRUNK, your state has an incredible amount of beauty, and when I was younger in the late 60’s I dreamed of moving there. When I finally visited in the early 80’s I stopped by a creek next to the highway northwest of Bozeman. While standing by the gurgling water under a bunch of pines a Bald Eagle flew right over my head.For some reason I thought that the coolest thing, and will never forget that. We have those here in the north part of my state also, but have only seen one in all the time I’ve lived out here.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Its 19 degrees F here in N. Texas and supposed to drop to around -4 by Monday and we will probably have snow and maybe ice. They say we may loose power too. I know that's not cold by northern standards but our pipes aren't buried 3' and our outside animals aren't used to it

We will loose some trees, cattle, outside pets and wildlife. Pipes will freeze and engine blocks will crack because people forgot they added water back last summer when their car got hot. The only animals we personally have outside are our chickens and they usually do ok in cold weather. We have a wood stove and lots of wood so we will be fine even if the power goes out but some folks around here will suffer :(

I love Montana and all the northern states but just in the summer!

·
Premium Member
12,831 Posts
Its 19 degrees F here in N. Texas and supposed to drop to around -4 by Monday and we will probably have snow and maybe ice. They say we may loose power too. I know that's not cold by northern standards but our pipes aren't buried 3' and our outside animals aren't used to it

We will loose some trees, cattle, outside pets and wildlife. Pipes will freeze and engine blocks will crack because people forgot they added water back last summer when their car got hot. The only animals we personally have outside are our chickens and they usually do ok in cold weather. We have a wood stove and lots of wood so we will be fine even if the power goes out but some folks around here will suffer :(

I love Montana and all the northern states but just in the summer!
Damn! I didn’t think it got THAT cold in your turf.

·
Administrator
64,828 Posts
I had to read it twice thought what are you complaining about, 37 degrees is beautiful weather until it was -37 degrees, boy that's another extreme, we are heading into one week of mid thirties hot weather :eek:

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Holy cow! I feel like a piker thinking we're cold here at low 20's, and that's not -20's either! Sounds bitterly cold, and I sure feel sorry for you!

·
Registered
334 Posts
Damn! I didn’t think it got THAT cold in your turf.
It normally doesn't and for the last 20 years or so we haven't had much weather below freezing. That's why it gets us, we have young adults that have never seen it this cold. On the bright side although I'm not working on it in the unheated garage I have car parts in the kitchen on the bar. I have the deluxe heater control done except I need to order a blower switch, I have the gasket that can't be bought for the flapper door figured out I think, and I plan to tear down the rest of the heater after while.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts