Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
On the bright side although I'm not working on it in the unheated garage I have car parts in the kitchen on the bar.
Back in the 80's I built 4 or 5 engines in the living room of a house I lived in. The house was on a slab, so rolling an iron BB on an engine stand in and out of the door wasn't a biggie. Nothing cooler than sitting on the couch and staring at a freshly assembled motor with brand new chrome and polished 'engine jewelry' shining. LOL

·
Registered
5,257 Posts
Got up to go to work....was negative 37....had the Yukon plugged in...so it started fairly easy.....let it warm up for 15 minutes....put it in drive and it hardly wanted to move.....rode like I was driving a block of ICE....not too far from work the power steering let go.....high presser line blew up leaving me with a mess under the hood....and arm-strong steering to get home.....Geeeeesch
I hear ya..Alberta has been in a deep freeze for the last week with -40's overnight with the windchill. Its been like driving on square tires..lol

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
It's hard to imagine how ANY living thing could possibly survive that kind of brutality. I always wonder how in the world the natives hundreds of years ago tolerated that sort of conditions. Talk about a rough life!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I believe the Natives were well aware of the world they lived in....they slept in tepes with many people inside...lots of hides and grass insulation....body warmth in numbers....and they kept a fire burning inside night and day....mostly made of Buffalo dung (it slow burns like charcoal kind of) and leave a thick bed of glowing embers....good for heating and cooking….. im sure there were many that burned the fire day and night in shifts to survive the cold

·
Registered
36,521 Posts
and they kept a fire burning inside night and day....mostly made of Buffalo dung (it slow burns like charcoal kind of) and leave a thick bed of glowing embers....good for heating and cooking….. im sure there were many that burned the fire day and night in shifts to survive the cold
Brings back memories of being on a seismic crew on the North Slope of Alaska where they burnt the excrement to get rid of it. You didn't want to be downwind, it stunk. The camp was portable, all the camp trailers were on ski's. A good camp supervisor would park the bathroom trailer so that the prevailing wind put the rest of the camp upwind. (Camp was usually moved every day or 2.)

Maybe if you dry that crap out it doesn't stink so bad when you burn it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Back in the 70's I spent two weeks in Escanaba, MI. They were having a heat wave. Temps were in the mid seventies and people were actually having heat strokes. Later, in the eighties, I spent a few weeks in North Andover, MA. The temps were in the mid sixties and everyone up there had their windows open. I was freezing but they were hot. I all boils down to what you are accustomed to. This morning it was in the low thirties here, up from 12 degrees earlier in the week, and it was much more pleasant walking the dogs. All in all, I'm still a summer person. Bring on the heat. I want to just sit out on the deck and soak in the rays. Snow covered mountains are beautiful, no doubt, but they are also very cold!

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,862 Posts
"Gentlemen" The subject of this thread is: BRUTAL -37 DEGREES here yesterday

All off-topic discussion has been deleted....If you want to talk about Recommended Reading, start another thread or tag on to one on the subject.

Off topic discussion does not respect the original poster's intent of the discussion

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
"Gentlemen" The subject of this thread is: BRUTAL -37 DEGREES here yesterday
What's the weather like in your area Pops? Am just curious. I noticed that the pit crew guys at the Daytona races the past couple of nights were wearing some fairly heavy winter gear.

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,862 Posts
We had one day in the past week where it got to almost 80 I believe, but other days we have high of 50's and lows at night down into the 30's

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
We had one day in the past week where it got to almost 80 I believe, but other days we have high of 50's and lows at night down into the 30's
Thanx Pops, been wondering. It’s been in the 30’s here at night sometimes, but running up close to 70 during the day at times. That big river of polar air missed me and curved around to the north then down to the south and east some.

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
yea.... the cold aint for everyone that's for sure.....keeps a lot of people from moving here....and that's fine by me.....lol....might be cold but they don't salt the roads here....that's why Montana cars are fairly rust free....and we have a lot of nature here to enjoy....in fact Ive had.....moose,elk,deer(whitetail and mulies)skunks,*,rock chucks,beaver,river otter,and bear,mountain lion all in my back yard.....we also have nesting pairs of Eagles,and Red tailed Hawks..... in the summer I have a river not 500feet from my back yard....can catch Rainbow/brown trout...sauger/walleye any time we feel like it....….so yes....cold winters do suck.....but everything else here is why me and my family stay......Camping here is the "bomb" …. it just part of Montana life....for me anyway
I live in rural Ohio and have an original log house in rural West Virginia, but have to say, I'd love to live in Montana.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts