Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As far as I can tell this cab is a 49. I plan on useing doors with window vents so not really sure what year it will end up. Some of you recall I bought a 98 C5 Vette to use as a donor. I've got the Vette body off of it's frame and the truck striped also.

I have the frame up on a level floor on legs and braces cut to the proper ride height. My plan is to move the frame rails in to fit the truck cab then cut out the exsisting frame away. As for the bed it will lose some of it's depth due to the trans axle along with 10" of lenght due to the difference in the wheel base from the truck to the shorter Vette. I will be using as much as the C5 components as I can. Such as the instruament cluster, all the wireing harness, I should'nt have to bleed the anti lock brake system.

I'm trying too use as much as possible and sell the rest of the Vette. Like the air bags, body parts,radiator, etc. to off set the cost.

Here are some pics of the project thus far

It wasn't hit too badly

Truck cab on the other hand will need a lot of "Metal Bumping" tha nks to RickL I picked up a neat book on doing just that. Guess we'll see if one can teach an old dog new tricks :anim_25: to me.

The C5 up sitting at ride hiegth in relation to the floor

I got a start on fabrication the new frame rails

Here is a few other pics of this build if you want to follow this project

http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/23585941

·
Registered
19,595 Posts
Bruce, That is going to be one sweet hauler when you get it done... Later, Dave

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comment guys.

Hey this is all new territory for me so I'd like some feedback and ideas from all.:tu:tu:tu I'd hate to over look something.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Put a football helmet on the boy and have him jump around in the cab. That should knock out that roof in no time.

Cool project!

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the frame rails all done except gusset on the inside. Cab will go on the frame in the morning. I have the material to build the removeable X bracing. With the cab on I'll be able to check my numbers for cab height vs wheel fitment. I panned the ride heigth to be same as Vette at the running boards. Wife will be back in a week and I like it to be done for her :sign0020:
Just when I need my plasma machine it died. I guess I'll have to send it off to Hypertherm. I thought it WAS the $230.00 switch. But nope, glad I didn't spring for it.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I spent another day working on the truck. I made my cherry picker capable of lifting the cab onto the frame. I have the cab on the frame and fenders clamped on. I may lower the cab on the frame more once I have it sitting on the suspension.

My grandson Parker heped me most of the day

If I leave the cab at this height I won't have a hump in the floor for the drive line

68,758 Posts
looking good bruce, nice progress. wifes going to be surprised. :five:

1 - 20 of 59 Posts