Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got all set to seal and topcoat my frame today. I had bought a quart of sealer and a quart of topcoat. The quart of primer was only enough to do about 3/4 of the frame. Now I have to go buy some more sealer and while I'm at it I need to buy some more topcoat because that quart isn't going to cover. To top it off, now rain has moved in. And on top of that, the sealer instructions say that if it dries overnight you have to scuff it before applying the topcoat. I had hoped to go right from sealer to topcoat without having to scuff between coats. Rats!

·
Registered
68,228 Posts
bad luck for sure. hope the storm coming from gulf will not hurt.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Life is too short to stress the small stuff!!
Take a deep breath, grab a cup of coffee and watch the sealer dry!!
Then, bask in the afterglow of accomplishment!! :)

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Divine intervention = gives you the time / opportunity to repair the bottom of the front crossmember before blowing color. I fit 1/4" flat stock to mine & always jack the front up by the crossmember.
Luck

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
9,474 Posts
I got all set to seal and topcoat my frame today. I had bought a quart of sealer and a quart of topcoat. The quart of primer was only enough to do about 3/4 of the frame. Now I have to go buy some more sealer and while I'm at it I need to buy some more topcoat because that quart isn't going to cover. To top it off, now rain has moved in. And on top of that, the sealer instructions say that if it dries overnight you have to scuff it before applying the topcoat. I had hoped to go right from sealer to topcoat without having to scuff between coats. Rats!
You might be able to use an adhesion promoter rather than scuff since its only been a short while. I've done that and its worked out so far.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll look into that. thanks. I had bought a quart of sealer and a quart of topcoat. Since the sealer didn't cover the entire frame I went back and bought a gallon of sealer (I'll have other uses for it) and ordered another quart of topcoat. That way I won't run out of topcoat before I finish the frame.

·
Premium Member
1957 2 door sedan 210, (running) & 1957 2 door B/A hardtop (apart)[
613 Posts
This is Monday morning quarterbacking, but why didn't you topcoat the portion that was primed, then deal with what was left another day? Seems like that would have saved you having to scuff everything up.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I had the frame on a rotisserie and painted the surfaces facing me, rotated it 90 degrees and repeated, rotated it 90 degrees and painted those surfaces, then ran out of paint. As a result, there are "shadows" and the surfaces facing the fourth quadrant that aren't painted. I bought a gallon of sealant yesterday so I won't run out again. It looks like it would have taken about 3 pints to do the total job. I don't know how that compares with other guy's experiences.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Churchkey wrote "Divine intervention = gives you the time / opportunity to repair the bottom of the front crossmember before blowing color. "

What's that you say? I can't hear you.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rain has moved in now and we've got thunderstorms in the forecast for the next five days - so - I went back to finishing the welds in the floor. That'll keep me busy for a while.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
14,181 Posts
I would not have considered even starting that without a gallon of each on hand. Frames take way more material than you think due to paint blowing past and not on the actual frame. I would buy a gallon of each before redoing the frame.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll learn. However, paint is so expensive that unless you have other projects to use the leftover on it is almost prohibitive to buy that much more than you need. I was able to buy a gallon of the sealant because I know I'll use it on the body. I wouldn't have a use for that much topcoat of that color.

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
9,474 Posts
Look at Tamco, that's all I use any more. Works well and it about half the price as other paints/primers.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'm using Nason and from what I've seen thus far it is not as expensive as most others.
Sorry that you ran out of paint. Windows very greatly. May I suggest taking a rag ,moisten it with solvent and wiping the primer. If the rag has primer on it it's not fully cured. This is an industry practice called a solvent wipe . I hope this helps.
Cempedak Finger Yellow Terrestrial plant Tints and shades
Cempedak Finger Yellow Terrestrial plant Tints and shades

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Good tip. It is still raining and it may last another week. At that time I'll have to scuff the sealant before finishing the sealant coat, then apply the topcoat the same day. I'm all set. Picked up the second quart of topcoat this morning. The instructions say to wait 30 minutes between the sealant and the top coat (Nason urethane). I'll probably wait an hour. It'll take me a while to clean the paint gun.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts