Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rookie question, I'm sure, but I'm trying to put the front suspension back together on my wife's 55. I got a set of Polyplus upper bump stops from CCP and can't seem to get the stinkers to press into the hole. I've tried a bit of grease, a clamp, twisting, a hammer, and even using a string to help pull it through. No dice. I tried to search for help, but it doesn't seem like anyone else has struggled with the upper bump stops.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I used some KY because it washes off and doesn't stay like a dirt magnet. Use it on windshields too, but that's a different story. I tilt them a little sideways and "screw" them in. once the edge of the knub catches, they go a little easier. It takes some good pressure down though.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice. I did finally get it to seat with a clamp (upside down for better leverage) and some dish soap and getting an edge to bite. I have the upper control arm in and just got the lower one on. I made another rookie mistake by blending instructions from the stock shop manual and the QA1 sheet. I installed the coil over on the lower control arm before bolting it to the car. With stock suspension you compress the spring and install it along with the lower arm. So I got to steer the coil over into the pocket while I was trying to align the bolts in the control arm. Finally got a bolt or two in, pushed on the end of the control arm and *clink* out dumps the coil over. Oh well, I'm still a day closer to having my wife back on the road.

·
Administrator
66,151 Posts
Thanks for the advice. I did finally get it to seat with a clamp (upside down for better leverage) and some dish soap and getting an edge to bite. I have the upper control arm in and just got the lower one on. I made another rookie mistake by blending instructions from the stock shop manual and the QA1 sheet. I installed the coil over on the lower control arm before bolting it to the car. With stock suspension you compress the spring and install it along with the lower arm. So I got to steer the coil over into the pocket while I was trying to align the bolts in the control arm. Finally got a bolt or two in, pushed on the end of the control arm and *clink* out dumps the coil over. Oh well, I'm still a day closer to having my wife back on the road.
Thats a good way of looking at it, keep chipping away

1 - 8 of 8 Posts