Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1956 bel air and I’m installing a new 1 piece rear bumper. I seem to have a problem with the bumper being to close the drivers side body. I have had the body off the frame, and I was wondering if maybe the body is to far to the left. Can someone tell me if I should loosen the body mount bolts and try to move the body to the right, or is there any adjustment in the bumper and brackets. Any help and suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,795 Posts
there is no appreciable sideways movement in the rear bumper, sounds like the body is not properly centered on the frame.

·
Premium Member
1,681 Posts
I have a 1956 bel air and I’m installing a new 1 piece rear bumper. I seem to have a problem with the bumper being to close the drivers side body. I have had the body off the frame, and I was wondering if maybe the body is to far to the left. Can someone tell me if I should loosen the body mount bolts and try to move the body to the right, or is there any adjustment in the bumper and brackets. Any help and suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks
FWIW I had to move the body on the mounts to get my rear bumper properly positioned.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
You didn't mention how close, or how different from the passenger side you were off. If the passenger side is right, and the driver's side is too close, look at the bumper.

If it is a 1/4 inch or less, you can shim between the corner brace and the bumper to correct some. Don't push too much because the 56 bumper has a weak spot right below the taillight where it might crack. If you look at this assembly manual page, top left of the picture, Section B-B, you will see the corner brace with shims above it, and at the end of it. They are fun to get in there and keep from falling back out until you get the bolt tight. https://www.trifive.com/d1/garage/56 Chevy Assembly Manual/14-5.gif

If it needs to go more, you might have to shove the body a little to the left. Maybe measure a bunch of places left and right side to see if it is off. Could be the bumper not being equal. If you have brackets bolted to the bumper, you can also loosen them and get a small bit there. Oblong the holes a little, gain a little more.

According to the assembly measurement checking page ( https://www.trifive.com/d1/garage/56 Chevy Assembly Manual/11-18.gif ) the bumper should be about 3/4 inch from the body at the side.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there is no appreciable sideways movement in the rear bumper, sounds like the body is not properly centered on the frame.
FWIW I had to move the body on the mounts to get my rear bumper properly positioned.
Thanks for the input. I will be re-adjusting the body. Hopefully that will take care of the problem.
You didn't mention how close, or how different from the passenger side you were off. If the passenger side is right, and the driver's side is too close, look at the bumper.

If it is a 1/4 inch or less, you can shim between the corner brace and the bumper to correct some. Don't push too much because the 56 bumper has a weak spot right below the taillight where it might crack. If you look at this assembly manual page, top left of the picture, Section B-B, you will see the corner brace with shims above it, and at the end of it. They are fun to get in there and keep from falling back out until you get the bolt tight. https://www.trifive.com/d1/garage/56 Chevy Assembly Manual/14-5.gif

If it needs to go more, you might have to shove the body a little to the left. Maybe measure a bunch of places left and right side to see if it is off. Could be the bumper not being equal. If you have brackets bolted to the bumper, you can also loosen them and get a small bit there. Oblong the holes a little, gain a little more.

According to the assembly measurement checking page ( https://www.trifive.com/d1/garage/56 Chevy Assembly Manual/11-18.gif ) the bumper should be about 3/4 inch from the body at the side.
Helpful information, thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts