Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some one piece repop bumpers griot the back one in with no probleM, but the front is too tight, side to side. Have about 3/16ths of an inch clearance on the passenger side, and it actually makes contact n the lower fender on The driver side

I am wonderiing if it is possible to spread. the sides of the bumpers a tad without damaging it

7,082 Posts
I have some one piece repop bumpers griot the back one in with no probleM, but the front is too tight, side to side. Have about 3/16ths of an inch clearance on the passenger side, and it actually makes contact n the lower fender on The driver side

I am wonderiing if it is possible to spread. the sides of the bumpers a tad without damaging it
Maybe a washer on each bolt on the driver side? :bowtier:

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
25,985 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guess I may have to see if I can get rid of this one and buy a three piece bumper.

Will have to get the exact measurements and see if there is a difference

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
49,411 Posts
7,082 Posts
Guess I may have to see if I can get rid of this one and buy a three piece bumper.

Unless the 3 piece is what you prefer, might try the washers. They do not show at all. :bowtier:

·
Premium Member
15,008 Posts

What year is your car?
It don't matter if it is one piece or three piece if it is not adjusted right it is still not going to fit. The ends need to be shimmed with washers as the assembly manual shows.

·
Premium Member
5,477 Posts
Using washers is to take up slack in loose fit. You have a tight fit and the solution is to spread the bumper. As acardon says, use a bottle jack to spread the ends.

·
Premium Member
15,008 Posts
Using washers is to take up slack in loose fit. You have a tight fit and the solution is to spread the bumper. As acardon says, use a bottle jack to spread the ends.
And if you do that the ends will pull right back tight as soon as you bolt up the end brackets since the sheetmetal is more flexible than the bumper. The assembly manual says to use washers as required and that is right from GM.

·
25,985 Posts
I think I didn't make it clear. I didn't have much luck spreading the bumper with a bottle jack and 4x4. It went right back to the original spread.
Using washers between the bumper and bracket will establish a cleance between the bumper and fender, but as David said, it will move the fender in, instead of the bumper out. http://www.trifive.com/garage/55 Chevy Assembly Manual/14-2.gif The bumper is stronger. If you feel the lower corner of the fender is too far in, after shimming, you can shim between the diagonal brace and the bumper to push the end of the bumper and fender out. http://www.trifive.com/garage/55 Chevy Assembly Manual/14-2.gif

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I didn't make it clear. I didn't have much luck spreading the bumper with a bottle jack and 4x4. It went right back to the original spread.
Using washers between the bumper and bracket will establish a cleance between the bumper and fender, but as David said, it will move the fender in, instead of the bumper out. http://www.trifive.com/garage/55 Chevy Assembly Manual/14-2.gif The bumper is stronger. If you feel the lower corner of the fender is too far in, after shimming, you can shim between the diagonal brace and the bumper to push the end of the bumper and fender out. http://www.trifive.com/garage/55 Chevy Assembly Manual/14-2.gif

My supplier will take the bumper back (local). The measurement is 70" tip to tip at the top. Washers are pushing the lower fender in and making a bit of an angle compared to the upper fender (55). If they are all 70" it won't do me any good to take it back. Does someone have a three piece they can measure?

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Hmm, mine are very tight also, don't know how I'd get it on without damaging the (future) paint, maybe rags? But do you think if I spread it now before it is welded and made a smoothie that will work? It's really tight and rubbing on the old paint now or I wouldn't be asking this. Shows .62 clearance, mine is touching on one side and less than 1/8th on the other side. I don't want to "kink" it, but then again another rusty pitted bumper shouldn't be hard to come by.
One more thing while I'm at it, is there any noxious fumes created when welding something with chrome on it?

·
25,985 Posts
Hmm, mine are very tight also, don't know how I'd get it on without damaging the (future) paint, maybe rags? But do you think if I spread it now before it is welded and made a smoothie that will work? It's really tight and rubbing on the old paint now or I wouldn't be asking this. Shows .62 clearance, mine is touching on one side and less than 1/8th on the other side. I don't want to "kink" it, but then again another rusty pitted bumper shouldn't be hard to come by.
One more thing while I'm at it, is there any noxious fumes created when welding something with chrome on it?
If your getting the bumper rechromed, you can spread it as far as you want. I was afraid the chrome would crack if I spread it too far. You have to go way past where you want it, to get it to stay spread.
Yes, you have to grind or remove the chrome before welding.

·
Premium Member
1,859 Posts
I measured a 1 piece front bumper yesterday on my buddies car and it is 70-1/8" from inside edge to edge. I have a smoothie front and it measures 70" on the nose. It hasn't been put on a car yet, but will be next week.
:anim_25:

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
If your getting the bumper rechromed, you can spread it as far as you want. I was afraid the chrome would crack if I spread it too far. You have to go way past where you want it, to get it to stay spread.
Yes, you have to grind or remove the chrome before welding.
I guess that means I have to take it apart into 3 sections, remove the chrome, bolt it together again then weld it? I guess I may as well, don't want to leave the old rusty bolts in there anyway.

·
Registered
141 Posts
What has happened to all the links since the website has been updated? This is a great exchange on how to adjust the bumper with washers, the problem is now that the website has been changed the links to the " 55 Chevy assembly manual" does not take you to the manual it takes you to the show case. Can anyone ad a new link to the section in the 55 manual that this discussion is all about?

My 57 2 door 210 was purchased without a front bumper, I purchased a complete used 3 piece bumper with brackets and installed it but it does not quite fit side to side. My issue is the drivers side has about a 3/4" gap and the passenger side is touching. I would like recommendations on how to move it to the passenger side or at least the ability to read the shop manual listed above.
Thank you,
Mike

·
49,411 Posts
What has happened to all the links since the website has been updated? This is a great exchange on how to adjust the bumper with washers,...Mike
Mike....I'm working on that, along with a host of other broken links.

Attached is the 55 front bumper attachment from the Assembly Manual...Let me know if you need anything else

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
I usually read the post on a subject I am interested in (bumper fitment) , this one refereed to the 55 manual so I wanted to read it thinking it was similar to the 57 manual on this subject. If you have a 57 assembly manual I would be happy to receive one.
Thank you very much,
Mike

·
49,411 Posts
Mike...I just edited my post with a PDF for the 55 front bumper attachment....Here is the 57 front bumper (attached)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts