Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't have pics right now loaded but got the 57 back from paint today. I am just blown away, WOW, what a change! Have had it for 44 years and always in primer. BC/CC 2019 Chevrolet Silverado Shadow Gray Metallic. Absolutely loving the color. Sorry, just had to say something, SO pleased !!

After looking at the paint it is quite obvious the 62 year old original bumpers are just not going to stack up at all against that new paint as is. SSSOOOO.......

Re-chrome the originals or are decent repops available? Chrome shops are non existent locally anymore, (thanks EPA), but since the front is a 5 piece bumper shipping is not like a one piece bumper. Break it down to the different sections, bubble wrap and box. Open for any and all thoughts about best option and if re-chrome is preferred, who to go with?

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I had my 55 stock bumpers rechromed. Found I had to take all the nicks and blemishes out and clean the inside of the overriders as this particular chrome shop in Philly didn't do all that. I had to send a few parts back for a second opportunity for them to get it correct. Still on the rear center of the bumper they polished a little too close and when the sun is right I can see some of the copper finish coming through. Oh they lost one of the surround on the front grille!
SO if you find a chromer near you, ask what they will, will not do with respect to potential dents in the bumper?
What do they do with the back side of the items?
How do they inspect for imperfections?
What happens, there is something not to your standard?

Take photos of the items before sending, then after.

Along with the bumper/overriders and grille surrounds, I rechromed the horn rim, Hood Bird, head/tail light bezels, for the sum of $3000. That was in 2013!

The photos show before and most of the after. They did nothing with the back sides of the bumper items. I ended up covering with tape, blasting the back side, then prime and painting with a silver rattle can. These ideas came from the forum around 2017.

Good luck with finding a good rechromer. Send me a PM and I'll tell you who not to go to in the Philly area.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
For bumpers you are better off with reproductions on a 55. They fit great and look great. Mine have been on for 5 years

·
Registered
66,024 Posts
have a set from danchuk on my 56, still look as good as when I got them a dozen years ago.:tu -----> don't know about 57's :sign0013:

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still undecided about what to do about bumpers. After seeing the results of the new paint I know for sure the bumpers I have will just not make the cut in their present condition. Would do the after market reproductions for sure IF I knew before hand I would be happy with them as far as fit, finish, chrome longevity, etc. vrs. cost of the re-chrome and availability of decent results. Having no local chrome shops now days makes it impossible to visit and see the end products of their labor. Taking a shot in the dark packing, insured shipping and HOPING for a pleasing experience for the cost of re-chrome now days is not an inexpensive shot.

As another thought, how would I be sure I am receiving my original bumpers back after sending off for re-chrome? Any good way to mark them some way to insure what I ship off is what I receive back after the process?

·
Registered
4,231 Posts
If you decide to have old bumper re-plated, make sure you sand blast the back side first or verify that the plater will do that. If you have any repair work you will end up with chop marks on the back side which look bad. Lastly you will need to remove any of the chrome flashing that found its way to the back side. After all that you will need to spray paint the back side. I use an argent color.

If you buy repops with are cheaper than re- chromed bumpers they are perfect on both sides

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Still undecided about what to do about bumpers.

As another thought, how would I be sure I am receiving my original bumpers back after sending off for re-chrome? Any good way to mark them some way to insure what I ship off is what I receive back after the process?
On the overriders you can stamp your initials in the mounting bracket. On other pieces, in an inconspicuous location make a notch with file. of course photograph the notch. Call a potential rechromer.
Looking in my Hershey book (2015) there are a number of rechromers, mostly on East Coast. There is Advance Plating in Nashville, any recommendations from our TN friends, Also The Finishing Touch in Chicago.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
We are going with Advanced Plating in Tenn. They had a Rep. at the Nationals this year and he was nice enough to pick up our bumpers at they show to help us out with the shipping. We are planing on driving our car A LOT when we get it finished and I was concerned with the quality of the off shore replacements holding up. I believe the chrome quality of those 5-10 year old bumpers is much better than what is produced today. Thanks EPA.

·
Trifive Certified Restoration Shop
3,322 Posts
Still undecided about what to do about bumpers. After seeing the results of the new paint I know for sure the bumpers I have will just not make the cut in their present condition. Would do the after market reproductions for sure IF I knew before hand I would be happy with them as far as fit, finish, chrome longevity, etc. vrs. cost of the re-chrome and availability of decent results. Having no local chrome shops now days makes it impossible to visit and see the end products of their labor. Taking a shot in the dark packing, insured shipping and HOPING for a pleasing experience for the cost of re-chrome now days is not an inexpensive shot.

Get a hold of your local Keystone dealer. They have a rechroming system through them. Not as inexpensive as reproductions, but they are show chrome when you get them back.

·
Premium Member
10,550 Posts
I think you have to ask yourself what you want in terms of Chrome. If you want perfect Show Chrome, Paul's in Evans City PA (use to me Mars PA) is renown for their work but be prepared to spend. There are others that do similar work and similarly priced.

https://paulschrome.com/

If you are looking for something decent and reasonably priced, Don's East Coast Chevy in NY is not bad at all. He did my rear bumper ends and guards and they came out pretty nice, at least for me any how.

https://eastcoastrestorations.com/shop/products/c38-reconditioned-parts-moldingsbumpersgaugesmisc/

Let me get a couple of photos.

The repops for a 57, not terrible for some stuff, not great on other stuff (the rear ends in particular). I did not want to take a chance on an ill fitting rear bumper. My car has enough ill fitting parts due to my world renown backyard hacker work so I was hoping to avoid adding insult to injury by having some original pieces redone, lol. It was the better call for me.

On the 55, the reproduction stuff looks pretty good also, but not triple plated (copper, nickle, chrome) so while its looks pretty good, I think you would have to be very good about maintaining the chrome, but the price is right and it looks nice as far as I have seen.

·
Premium Member
10,550 Posts
These are the bumper guards as I sent them to Don's East Cost Chevy. These were not done on an exchange basis as I wanted my parts back.

783A9E3F-18B5-41F2-A1C6-B0586ACA77C4.jpg

This is one of the guards that I received. Don's actually cut out the metal bracing in the back of the guard to access the back and do the straightening work, and then re-welded it back in.

3A07F36B-20F8-4DAE-AC9F-8F779FAC0D70.jpg

They also did the ends. The center I picked up at the 2015 nationals. The Don's work was better.

47C03495-5B25-48CD-9148-ACA3B9573D73.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,284 Posts
Don't have pics right now loaded but got the 57 back from paint today. I am just blown away, WOW, what a change! Have had it for 44 years and always in primer. BC/CC 2019 Chevrolet Silverado Shadow Gray Metallic. Absolutely loving the color. Sorry, just had to say something, SO pleased !!

After looking at the paint it is quite obvious the 62 year old original bumpers are just not going to stack up at all against that new paint as is. SSSOOOO.......

Re-chrome the originals or are decent repops available? Chrome shops are non existent locally anymore, (thanks EPA), but since the front is a 5 piece bumper shipping is not like a one piece bumper. Break it down to the different sections, bubble wrap and box. Open for any and all thoughts about best option and if re-chrome is preferred, who to go with?

Buying top quality reproductions is actually cheaper than having the old ones re-chromed.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
In reference to "top quality" reproductions where does one find such a thing now days. Most reproductions I've come across restoring my '71 Chevy 4x4 pickup and '71 Chevelle have been "close" but can tell the difference. Without just taking a shot in the dark purchase can you elaborate on the "top quality" reproductions as to who carries such an elusive item now days?

Have no plans on ever getting rid of the '57, it will be passed to the oldest son and the truck and Chevelle likewise with my other two boys. With that said and this being my very first "toy" I purchased so long ago with the restore I want it done right before it is done at all

·
Premium Member
13,337 Posts
In reference to "top quality" reproductions where does one find such a thing now days. Most reproductions I've come across restoring my '71 Chevy 4x4 pickup and '71 Chevelle have been "close" but can tell the difference. Without just taking a shot in the dark purchase can you elaborate on the "top quality" reproductions as to who carries such an elusive item now days?

Have no plans on ever getting rid of the '57, it will be passed to the oldest son and the truck and Chevelle likewise with my other two boys. With that said and this being my very first "toy" I purchased so long ago with the restore I want it done right before it is done at all
just have the originals re-chromed you will be glad that you have gm fitment parts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I picked up a 56 bumper at a swap meet for my car. I bought it for 50.00, just for the brackets. The bumper was twisted and bent and pulled on a car in the middle with a chain. I took it to Royal Plating in Tucson and showed it to them. They told me no problem. They were right. They did such a nice job on it, it makes all the other chrome look bad. Fits nice. They have done work on several other cars I've done in the last 30 years, always top quality.

·
Premium Member
10,697 Posts
I've seen many comments regarding the fitment of the end pieces on the 57 rear bumper. If yours fits well, I'd suggest that you have it re-chromed.

·
Registered
7,692 Posts
Good used original parts are closer to 'top quality' than any reproduction... IMO.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts