Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I don't get it...someone got ripped off for $30 and that much energy was expended complaining about it?

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, for one I don't like to be called a liar. My friend doesn't have much money and I helped him get that motor, imagine what he said....

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I don't like being called a liar, either, and I'm sure you're not a liar....it sucks to get ripped off, the person who ripped him off is a creep, but there's a point where you just have to walk away and chalk it up to a bad experience.

Sure looks to me like the seller is a liar, but since i don't like to be called a liar, I should be careful about calling someone else a liar.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I can very well understand being angry over something like that situation. That said, It reminded me of when a "nice" elderly gentleman backed into my car just after I had parked it to go into a store. He apologised, we exchanged information and he said he would contact his insurance company. Being in a parking lot and the man being nice, it seemed the police really didn't need to be called. Long story short, I ended up with a $300 dollar body repair bill because the man's insurance agency said he claimed I was backing up as well, even though I was in a parked vehicle. Further, his insurance company said if I pursued the case they would ask for damages to their cliet's vehicle. MAD as heck? You bet, but it would take alot more than $300 in actual costs for time away from work, attornies fees, and etc. for me to TRY and get restitution. Since any trial would boiled down to his word against mine and would probably be dismissed, I just let go of the anger and learned a valuable lesson. ALWAYS, get a police report no matter where the accident takes place and no matter how nice a fella is. On the up side, I have found that 95% of the time or maybe even more, situations like this are the result of a series of misunderstandings. I even experienced one of these on this very website. I won't go into details because there was a true misunderstanding between me and another member as to something I posted and their response. Just a few sincere emails back and forth without conveying my initial anger at what I thought was someone calling me a cheat or conman and we both found that there was indeed a misunderstanding and discovered that each of us was OK in the other's book. Just remember sometimes stuff happens that is nobody's fault or sometimes a bit of everyone's fault. Just my 2 cents.

Steve

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
Here is my experience, I first bought a 57 chevy total project car and took it to a guy that I won't name and he was supposed to be very good on these cars, I paid 1200 for the car, I gave him over 3000 for parts that he said he ordered, well me being a computer tech, I fixed his computer gave him a fax machine made him a webpage etc etc, All I got was promises that yeah I ordered the parts I am gonna start on it very soon, long story short, after a couple years of being super nice to him, with no parts ever ordered and my car setting behind his shop,I told him
to just keep the Blank Car etc, He did give my money back for the parts.

My decision was based on the fact that I had been stressed for over 2 years waiting on him, and I decided it was time to cut bait on this. I was just sick of the whole thing.

I know I just gave him the car because it caused me so much stress. And if I had kept the car I would always look at it and stress out.

So I understand the stress of being taken advantage of but sometimes, you just need to cut bait and let it go.

Now 5 years later have me a new project and life is good.

Otis:)

·
Registered
72 Posts
You have to be carefull about dropping classic cars off to be worked on or restored, there are people out there who will keep them, I almost had the same happen to me, unscrupulous mechanics who once they get the cars in, won't let them go in order to keep them. Check them out and know them before you drop the car off! I do 100% of my own work now, unless I know the person well!

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I would never buy an engine that I could not hear running. I see people at swap meets buying engines and heads that don't look very good. The guy tells them that he just had them checked out but they are rusted or covered with sludge. In order to check them over I would figure that they should be clean at the very least.
Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts