Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a pair of rear axle bearings part # 21-24 from Ecklers a month ago for a '57 rear end. Installed bearings took the car for about a 40 mile cruise, came home parked the car and next morning found a oil puddle behind both rear wheels. Took axles out and called Ecklers. It appears they have found out that their bearings all leaked after they checked them out individually. The leak is coming from the inner seal. They are Chinese - Buyer Beware!! Who's got some Timkens??

·
Registered
518 Posts
I purchased a pair of rear axle bearings part # 21-24 from Ecklers a month ago for a '57 rear end. Installed bearings took the car for about a 40 mile cruise, came home parked the car and next morning found a oil puddle behind both rear wheels. Took axles out and called Ecklers. It appears they have found out that their bearings all leaked after they checked them out individually. The leak is coming from the inner seal. They are Chinese - Buyer Beware!! Who's got some Timkens??
I installed new bearings and I had a leak on one of my rear wheels also, did they say what they are going to do about them? I just e-mailed them since I posted so I will be curious as to what they will do?

Here is what NAPA is offering, pricy though but probaly won't leak...http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail.aspx?A=BRGRW307R_0210977140&An=599001+101957+50012+2012002

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bad Rear Axle Bearing

Ecklers customer servic rep. told me he was going to credit me for the bearings. Not sure much more they can do at this time.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thanks might have bought them there...just more China junk but guys say here foreign suff is better:rolleyes: try these guys http://mibearings.com/ High priced USA stuff maybe poor quality :sign0020: people that like Chinese stuff stay away This is high priced Union made:sign0020: *All our wheel bearing hub units are made in USA and have no Chinese content.:eek:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Here is a follow up on the rear bearing problems with some pictures...as you can see the bearings with the spring are from NAPA and the others are from Eckler's I just changed these out this evening due to the were leaking after 15 miles. Eckler's did give me a full refund and credit my account. Never the less as you know bearing replacement does take a minue or two.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Leaking Axle Bearings

Has any one ever determined which of the two axle bearing choices are the best. The enclosed bearing that doesn't require the lubrication from the differential which has sealed grease inside. Or the other version that has an open end which does require lube from the differential.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts