Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chev...pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item417681c0e7&vxp=mtr

This car is located in Vacaville California and was also listed on the Sacramento Craigslist. The e-bay listing and the Craigslist ad both stated the car was a "rust free California car". I called the owner after the e-bay listing expired and asked very specific questions about missing parts and it's "rust free" condition. He stated that it was a local car that he had known about for years and assured me it was "rust free". We agreed on a price and I told him I would come and get it. Within a couple of minutes of arriving at this guys house I knew this car was not as advertised. There was rust in the roof above the driver's door and the front floor pans and spare tire well were rusted out. When I confronted the guy about the fact that he told me it was "rust free" and that he had just wasted a lot of my time and a lot of money for gas he just shrugged. I told him I wasn't interested and left. I live south of L.A. and towed a trailer 960 miles round trip at a cost of about $400 in gas. If he had offered to cut the price we agreed on in half I wouldn't have bought it. If you are looking for a sedan delivery look somewhere else or be aware of what you're getting into with this one.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
That's to bad you had to waste your time and money. One thing that has been done here with this great group is to ask and usually there's someone close by that can take a look before you waste your time and money. I live pretty close by and would have been happy to stop by on a weekend to give it a non-biased look. Don't be afraid to ask worse thing that could happen is nobody could make it.

·
Premium Member
13,558 Posts
I really really wish I would have known. I live in Vacaville and would have been happy to help you by at least taking a look at it for you.
That's a LONG drive for nothing.
Dan

·
Premium Member
13,558 Posts
I just noticed that his zip code is the same as mine, that means he lives on same side of town that I do.

One thing that really stands out about his story....
I've lived in this town since 1966. At that time and all the way up into the 70's this was a pretty small place. If that car lived it's whole life here I would have FOR SURE have seen it, and I can't recall EVER have seen it at all. It's the kind of car I would have paid attention to also.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Maybe he meant "rust, free" as in no charge for the rust? Cripes...What a waste. It never ceases to amaze me how selfish some people can be. I hear about this time and again. These people have no conscience. I see the auction has ended, but I would definitely complain to Ebay about him. That is blatant misrepresentation. He also has two recent negative comments.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Firemangordy, that's to bad I feel your pain. I looked at that car on eBay the way it was pictured it looked real nice. I've always had a soft spot for sedan deliverys.

A few years back I bought a rust free 55 delay in Minnesota. While loading the car on the trailer the PO gave me a lead on two more trifive s. so I got a phone number. Got my delay home in southern Michigan. And made contact with the owner of the others trifive s. both 150s a 55 and 56. He was the previous owner of my delay. He sold it to the guy I bought it from several years earlier. We talked condition and price and compared condition to my recent purchased delay. Well long story short next weekend I headed to northwest Minnesota with a pocket full of cash and a two place car trailer. Sorry to say I returned home with a empty trailer.

I don't know why some people can't be honest when describing the condition of a car. I won't forget that trip for a long time probley never. The thing that really gets me is I regret not buying the two cars. But at the time I was so mad the cars were not as nice as describe I just couldn't do it. At least the ten hour drive home gave me time to cool off. Ron

·
Registered
67,684 Posts
not a very good ebay feedback. :secruity:

·
Registered
547 Posts
A few years back I bought a rust free 55 delay in Minnesota. While loading the car on the trailer the PO gave me a lead on two more trifive s. so I got a phone number. Got my delay home in southern Michigan. And made contact with the owner of the others trifive s. both 150s a 55 and 56. He was the previous owner of my delay. He sold it to the guy I bought it from several years earlier. We talked condition and price and compared condition to my recent purchased delay. Well long story short next weekend I headed to northwest Minnesota with a pocket full of cash and a two place car trailer. Sorry to say I returned home with a empty trailer.

I don't know why some people can't be honest when describing the condition of a car. I won't forget that trip for a long time probley never. The thing that really gets me is I regret not buying the two cars. But at the time I was so mad the cars were not as nice as describe I just couldn't do it. At least the ten hour drive home gave me time to cool off. Ron
I've bought/sold/traded lots of cars in recent years and have always been cautious with cars that are far away for this reason. I recently considered a '57 Black Widow-ish clone that was about 13 hours away. I absolutely fell in love with the car online and the owner was making all the right noises over the phone. I was so tempted to go and get it but something just kept nagging at me not to. I finally decided not to go. Too much risk. I may have missed out on a great deal, maybe not. In any case, it's guys like this that make that make long distance deals so hard...

·
Premium Member
13,558 Posts
firemangordy, some background....
I was just over at a close friends house. He's our group of friends 'local car historian'. This guy remembers everything about every interesting old car in town. I relayed your story to him and before I could even finish, he said he "knows the car". He said that the reason that I couldn't recall the car was because about the time we were in high school was when the car got retired and parked. We graduated in 71, it's been that long.
Anyway he said that for 25+ years there used to be a sign on it saying "not for sale for any price" because of curious looky-loos constantly bugging the old guy that owned it. Apparently the old guy passed on and his son (whom I went to school with) sold the car sometime in the recent past.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys. I appreciate the offers to go look at a car to save a long distance drive. Several years ago I got burned on a Nomad when I asked a member of the Nomad club to go look at it for me. Turns out he already knew the car and was friends with the owner. Which, I didn't know. He failed to tell me about problems with the car in order to help his buddy sell it and I got burned. So, I swore I would never buy anything else without looking at it myself. There are a lot of good people on this board and maybe next time I will take the chance and ask someone to take a look.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
1 - 19 of 19 Posts