Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
50,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys and gals....PLEASE BEWARE!

If you place an ad in the WTB forum and a new member replies (or sends you a PM) such as this:

Email "so and so"...He has the part(s) for sale. Here is his email address: "bah blah @ blah blah"

It is a SCAM! Do not bother to reply

We will try to monitor and delete these replies....However, they may be missed or not seen, if the message is sent via PM.

Additionally, you can help us and your fellow members out by reporting any of this suspicious activity

·
Registered
56 Posts

If you place an ad in the WTB forum and a new member replies (or sends you a PM) such as this:

Email "so and so"...He has the part(s) for sale. Here is his email address: "bah blah @ blah blah"

We will try to monitor and delete these replies....However, they may be missed or not seen, if the message is sent via PM.

Additionally, you can help us and your fellow members out by reporting any of this suspicious activity
I got one of these yesterday or maybe day before when I posted a wanted ad for 57 rocker panel moldings. I think you may have caught it since the reply to my post is no longer there. Do I need to be concerned about being hacked/privacy?

·
50,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do I need to be concerned about being hacked/privacy?
I don't think so Alvin...I haven't heard of anyone having a problem along those lines yet.

As long as you DO NOT post your email address or phone number in the open forum, you should be okay

All to many times I have seen members do that and I just cringe.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I had a part that I wanted to trade or sell a while back. I got one of those messages saying the part I wanted was for sale by this guys friend. We agreed on a price but he didn't do paypal and wanted a money order. I told him to send me a tracking # and I would mail the money order. He said no he would ship the part when his mom who was in a different state got the money order. I said no that since his friend had just joined and he wasn't even a member I didn't trust either one of them. He finally called me. He had such a accent and broken english I could barely understand him. I told him to forget the whole deal and haven't heard from him since. Oh and he couldn't even send me a picture of the part!

·
Registered
1956 2dr HT's (1 Belair, 1 210)
86 Posts
I'm a member on the HAMB website also, and that exact same wording shown above has been warned about over there as well. Unfortunately, a few people did get taken.

·
50,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a part that I wanted to trade or sell a while back.
TX....Thanks for sharing your experience with our members....We have all learned something from it.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Lol....yesterday, I got a call on my work phone...those that know me will know what I do and find this more entertaining....

Apparently the DEA has confiscated a drug package with my name on it and were on their way to come arrest me unless I paid the 2k fine to the gentleman on the phone with a very thick ethnic accent...

I told him that I would be waiting for them to show up at my office door just as soon as they got through the security check points.

Then I asked if I could call him at home and come over for dinner....he hung up.

I still haven't seen any DEA guys yet, but I went to their liason office a few buildings over to turn myself in and they instead offered me a donut....Krispy Kreme too....yum..

·
Registered
5,938 Posts
We agreed on a price but he didn't do paypal and wanted a money order. I told him to send me a tracking # and I would mail the money order. He said no he would ship the part when his mom who was in a different state got the money order.
I had some moron try that with a 55 sedan, I was looking at.
I saw the ad, sent an email. Was told I could not inspect the car until I had paid for it!
Seller was in Alabama, car was in North GA.
Strangely enough, I saw the car at a cruise in. The owner said that someone had taken the pics at another cruise in, and was trying to "sell it".
Scammers like that, need a serious ass whipping....

Reactions: larryz4

·
Registered
112 Posts
Had this happen to me a couple of days ago on here with my wanted ad, wanted me to contact another person in relation to car I'm seeking at a gmail account- person with no posts- I just read this an reported the post.
I figure if someone has a car they want to sale I don't need to go thru someone else, they will let me know about it themself

·
Premium Member
11,044 Posts
Dave, I just received PM (Conversation). Member for 8 days, 0 posts, no other information, email Mario he has the part. How do these people live with themselves.

·
Registered
66,531 Posts
thanks POPS. lots of scams going on, lots of those on home phone too. be careful everyone.

·
Registered
218 Posts

Thanks so much for the heads up.

·
50,778 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We adamantly hate to just ban any legitimate members that join the site....In almost every instance the suspected scammer's IP address has returned as a proper US location....However we definitely have to do something....From now on we will ban any new individuals who post these suspicious replies or PM's for a period of 30 days.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts