Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still looking for a 57...

Now I'm eyeballing this one:

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/carsforsale/chevrolet/bel_air/1585932.html

But in one of the pictuces the frame looks odd:
http://assets.hemmings.com/uimage/17018442-700-0.jpg?rev=1

Above the pitman arm, like the frame is dented? Is it supposed to look like that?

And looks like it's oily? or maybe just wet? only thing leaking oil to that location would be power steering right? but this car shouldn't have power steering, at least the seller isn't advertising it.

And also the steering rods (or what ever those are called :) ) are all in grease, perhaps just from lubrication I believe?

·
Registered
386 Posts
That's a pretty good looking hardtop. I see what you're talking about on the frame near the pitman arm. It looks like maybe a crack on the frame and maybe it was repaired in some way. It doesn't have the original style power steering. The generator was replaced with the alternator and it may have a more modern separate power steering pump mounted under the alternator. The oil on the linkage could be from a few locations. My car needed a diaper when I first bought it so for me it was a matter of re placing gaskets and o rings.

Just from my experience I personally would not buy a vehicle unless I was able to personally inspect it or have a person I trust to. When I was looking for my car to buy they looked good in the pictures and video but many times I drove distances to find out the owner's totally misrepresented the cars. My advice to you is have someone reputable to inspect it before you drop that kind of coin on it. Good luck in your hunt.

Gerald

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I would definitely like to have someone to take a look before I purchase any car. Especially when buying cars in this age :)

Actually one of the forum members has already said he could check this car for me if needed.

And another forum member already helped me out with another car. Can't thank enough these kind of people who are willing to help.

·
Registered
247 Posts
power steering

It looks like the power steering cylinder mount is on the frame by the a frame. The car could have had the power steering removed at some time. After another look if the power steering was removed they used a standard drag link. These days there is an adapter you can buy to use the original drag link. JB56

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
It looks like a one piece frame. What you see is where the rear frame section connects to the front piece. That little hole in the frame bottom is a way to tell the one piece from the welded frame.

There are a few things in the engine compartment that aren't standard for a '57.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts