Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you may have remember me posting back some months ago about buying a 55, I didnt win the one in the raffle so I guess im just going to have to buy :(
Things are going ok and it looks like I will be able to make the buy this up coming summer "if all stays well :) " budget is between 20k-25k.
I remember someone suggesting to get a car already restored for the most part instead of getting a fixer upper as it would be cheaper then getting body work,paint and other expensive work done upon purchase of the car.
I know people feel differently because for 1 when they have it done they know it was done properly and 2 they feel more like its a personal car rather then a store bought one,so to speak.
But for me and this time Im looking for a nicely done car,I know at my price range Im not going to get a showcar,but from what I see I should be able to get a very nice car. I can add personal touches as years go by but for now I want a car pretty much ready to go,So when talking to people what is some of the questions I should ask about it to get a better idea on if this car was done up right or fixed fast to sell?
I also started making a list of cars I liked that were for sale earlier that I seen on craigslist and what not locally. I emailed this guy to see if the car on my list was sold since I havent seen it posted lately and he responed that he did still have it ,that he just took it off the market due to the time of year.
So im guessing these cars are like boats and spring/summer is the prime time to sale for getting the most money,My question is How much do you think the prices vary from summer to winter on average?
I would hate to wait past summer to buy my 55' but if it means getting a huge deal I guess I can wait?
So if someone could think of any advice to give me or a check list I can have on asking,inspecting,researching a 55,Please let me know,Thanks

68,758 Posts
1. less people looking for cars this time of the year, so think you can get a better deal now.
2. that price should get you a nice car.
3. important is frame, floors and all sheet metal.
4. paper work is important too. like title (vin#), bills for stuff, ect
5. :anim_25:

·
Premium Member
3,996 Posts
i have a 4 door that i have spent over 40000 on now i could have got one a whole lot cheaper than that in just as good a shape because of the labour costs you will spend a lot of coin if i had to do it again there is no doubt i would get on all ready done and maybe hope i didn,t need to change too much

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
1. less people looking for cars this time of the year, so think you can get a better deal now.
2. that price should get you a nice car.
3. important is frame, floors and all sheet metal.
4. paper work is important too. like title (vin#), bills for stuff, ect
5. :anim_25:
I will just add on to Carl's list. As I am sure it wil continue to get longer. :D

6. Ask if they took pictures of the car when they restored it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
It doesnt hurt to start looking now for a car, you never know you just might find what you are looking for. As far as buying a car that someone has fixed up, thats what i did, i spent 25,000 on a 55 2 door post with a 350 and a 4 speed. it wasnt perfect but i put a new interior and idiit w/ a new wheel and a bunch of small things, and peple tell me I could not build the car for what I put into it. And I could get out and have fun with it right away. Good luck Stoly
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Classic

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll keep it in mind redbird :tu ,That brings up another questions. How much does it cost to have a car shipped,I know its hard to say because it would be different from every location,but if anyone had one shipped let me know what it cost you.
I also had a question about what if any problems to look out for if mods were done. Im looking at this one car and they mention they installed air shocks that required rear shock mounts. I have no idea how they go on that car,but it sounds like some cutting and welding was required,and harm in this?
Also goes for the same for adding bigger engines,I would imagine different mounts and braces would be needed,so that would be changes to the frame,Anything to look for or stay away from when mods like these are done?

·
Administrator
67,936 Posts
Sounds like they have reinforced the shock support when can sometimes be a problem
If you have picked a car that you are really interested in, you might be able to get a member to go out with you to inspect the car.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yea thats what I was hoping. Is there anyone in the ohio area that would be willing to give a car a look at when the time comes? I dont know much about cars in general,and really dont know what I would be looking for on a 55' So if anyone would be willing to give me a hand "It wont be anytime soon,maybe july or aug?" Just let me know and I can save your name and contact you if the time comes. Thanks all,and looking forward to be a True member of TriFive.com :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts