Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some one know how to by-pass or emulate the VATS or Anti-Theft in a 99 blackbox from a suburban 2500 im swapping this engine to my 55 and i read that this is a problem and here in my country its dificult to reflash it i found this in some forum i guess:

http://freakshare.com/files/w40iwuh5/bypass-how-to.docx.html

http://freakshare.com/files/ksnd0bob/How-to-bypass-the-VATS.docx.html

sorry but is the only way i figure to put the files in the post, so i can make the circuit but i want to know if its necessary in my vcm and if is, the circuit will work?

Thx. Good vibes...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Whats the sev. number on the white label of your PCM?

Also is this for a L31 350?

Really need to have VATS disable via the tune as you will have the check engine light on all the time due to emission stuff being gone.
serv no is 16263494

yes is a l31 350 from a 99 suburban 2500 2wd

Noo here in my city i had never saw some workshop that can do this, my only hope and im going to ask is in the chevy dealer its my only option right now, or i can do it by myself? and if is possible what i need?

·
Registered
37,974 Posts
I doubt that a Chevy dealer can do it.

What you need is software and a cable so you can connect a laptop to it.

Another way is to send the pcm to someone who has the means to do it. Might be a hassle given your location.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Hi again Fare; Try sending a PM to 55b4drw in Florida ; he had his PCM reworked by someone to update it for a swap to his 55 wagon . I didn't have any VATS issues with my harness from the 95 Astro when doing my V6 swap. I posted some pictures of my top-sump inline fuel system in my picture album too , and ran my fuel return line back in through the sending unit . Yours probably won't need the return line , will it ? Be safe...Bob.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Whats the sev. number on the white label of your PCM?

Also is this for a L31 350?

Really need to have VATS disable via the tune as you will have the check engine light on all the time due to emission stuff being gone.
What emissions stuff is gone here ? He was going to use all the e-sensors . Can't he go with a VATS eliminator?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mmmm al the EGR is going to be removed i dont need it so im going to check with 55b4drw what is the cost for the removing of all my problems jeje...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What emissions stuff is gone here ? He was going to use all the e-sensors . Can't he go with a VATS eliminator?
Mmmm al the EGR is going to be removed i dont need it so im going to check with 55b4drw what is the cost for the removing of all my problems jeje...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
http://lt1swap.com/programming.htm
Brendan Patton. I've had him do couple ECM's for me,
very good and fast,
and very reasonable too.!
you DO need to remove VATS, it will leave you stranded if you don't.

Im looking for the best workshop to tune my pcm thx its not easy for me cause i dont have any travel to the US right now because im in classes but i have a friend in TX. who could help me with all this (sending pcm to him then he to the workshop)

·
Registered
37,974 Posts
I have a question. I thought the VATS bypass things would not give you codes. Am I wrong? Does this depend on the pcm?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So i send a mail to lt1 swap and i think its my best option heres the mail:

Subject: RE: 99 Suburban 2500 2wd Vcm
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 16:50:45 -0500

Yes the 1999 L31 5.7 vortec computer DOES have vats, and needs removed. I can disable EGR, Not a problem.

I can ship to Mexico, not a problem.

Programming AND shipping to Mexico is $115.00

-Brendan.

So this is going to make this more easy and more fast swapping jeje.

·
Registered
37,974 Posts
That's probably your best approach. You need to consider what else you might want him to change, if nothing else, rear gear ratio and tire size, but there may be more.

·
LS Tech and Moderator
11,366 Posts
I have a question. I thought the VATS bypass things would not give you codes. Am I wrong? Does this depend on the pcm?
The VATS will not give a check engine code at least on LS motor. Not sure on the earlier PCM I doubt is as most time it will flash the security light.

Now as to if you can even use a by pass it depends on the system and the application. IE if it was PASSLOCK or PASSKEY on the donor. VATS is just the generic term used for he above that's used for the ECM portion of it.

Basically the PASSKEY uses a resistor inside the key to prove to the BCM/VATS that its not stolen. Then the BCM/VATS after getting the correct signal enable the starter coil and the ECM.

SO you can fool the system wit ha bypass box to the ECM directly.

The PASSLOCK uses the ignition switch itself to send a signal to the BCM or the passlock model it then sends a code to the PCM to start.

IIR the L31 used the PASSLOCK system so the bypass won't work with it.

That's the short version off the top of my head. lol

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Fare......

if/when you have the ECM reflashed , he will ask for data , like tire size, rear gear, what to delete ( egr, vats, fuel evap, etc)
I also asked for improved fuel curve and more aggressive timing curve,
he told me it was worth maybe 20hp,
good luck!

·
Registered
208 Posts
http://lt1swap.com/programming.htm
Brendan Patton. I've had him do couple ECM's for me,
very good and fast,
and very reasonable too.!
you DO need to remove VATS, it will leave you stranded if you don't.
I just sent mine to Brendan yesterday.....
Unfortunately it will probably be a few months before I know if it works or not.... ;)

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I just sent mine to Brendan yesterday.....
Unfortunately it will probably be a few months before I know if it works or not.... ;)
Fare; This member is doing an L-engine swap similar to yours and 554drw 's ; I posted the pix of my vertical sump inline fuel pump assembly for you too , on my homepage album. Hopefully you guys can share some of this VATS disable stuff; how much data does Brendan ask for ? His prices are sure decent compared to some of the horror stories I've heard . I'd be interested in getting the software and tackling my next PCM myself . Be safe...Bob.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts