Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been looking at new frames with c4 components. They are pricey. I started looking at used c4 car prices. The math seems to suggest I could buy a "bare" chassis setup for c4 and a used c4 car for around the same price. Of course, I'd have to rebuild various things on the used car, etc, but I'd have a starter engine (maybe) or at least some parts to sell.

Any good ideas where to look for the components?

Or should I cough up the dough for a complete package? I'm afraid I'd have a hard time to come up with it all anytime soon...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
11,220 Posts
Certainly, that is one aproach. All of the cars we drive or work on require the same basic parts, engine, trans, rearend and so on and most buy used and rebuild. Several of the major chassis suppliers only provide used C4 and require the owner to do the rebuild however some provide ready to go stuff.

I have an option for you if you would be interested, if so PM me.

BTW, what chassis suppliers have you reviewed?

·
12,256 Posts
I'm not sure what you're asking, but you can't use a C4 Corvette frame under a tri-5. I can modify a tri5 frame to accept a C4 suspension, as I've done for my own car and several others. See my picturetrail album and my past posts for examples.

A C4 front and rear suspension can be had for reasonable cost. Depending on the cost of a complete car, it may be worthwhile to buy one if you can use the engine and tranny along with the suspension and other parts.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm not sure what you're asking, but you can't use a C4 Corvette frame under a tri-5.
No. Apparently, I spoke poorly - a "new frame with c4 components" => several vendors over tri-five frames (new or modified "originals) designed to accept C4 components. I was talking about comparing whether to look into a complete chassis solution from a vendor (including all the c4 components) or just buying a "bare" frame and a complete C4 car and using it for parts.

And, yes Chevynut, I've already been checking out your work ;)

I've seen reasonably road worthy c4's for $7-8k around here. I don't know how that compares to buying components piecemeal.

I'm really still just in the planning phase.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
look at the suspensions close, alot of the c4 stuff is well worn and stuff to rebuild them is spendy the c5 stuff is cheaper to buy think about a c5 front
wayne

·
12,256 Posts
look at the suspensions close, alot of the c4 stuff is well worn and stuff to rebuild them is spendy the c5 stuff is cheaper to buy think about a c5 front
wayne
I have been looking at C5 suspensions and they seem to be a lot more expensive than the C4s. You can buy a complete front and rear rebuild kit for a C4 including bushings, balljoints, and tie rod ends for around $300. Even a C5 might require re-building, since they have been out since 1997.

The other problem is the C5 suspensions are a lot wider than the C4s, which are already wider than stock. If I recall correctly, they are an additional 3" wider. So you need to move the a-arms further inboard, which could create clearance issues with exhaust, etc.

Also, the C5 rearend (transaxle) is not usable in a Tri-5 without a lot of work to the floors, or an expensive differential. The frame will not readily accept the C5 a-arms in the rear. It's a lot more complicated than a C4 rear.

Lastly, I'm not aware of anyone building C5 frames for Tri-5's except for the "do it yourself" frame that was posted here some time ago, and that had a Ford rearend.

C4 is modular, and a lot easier to implement. Cheaper too. ;)

·
Registered
155 Posts
I have been looking at C5 suspensions and they seem to be a lot more expensive than the C4s. You can buy a complete front and rear rebuild kit for a C4 including bushings, balljoints, and tie rod ends for around $300. Even a C5 might require re-building, since they have been out since 1997.

The other problem is the C5 suspensions are a lot wider than the C4s, which are already wider than stock. If I recall correctly, they are an additional 3" wider. So you need to move the a-arms further inboard, which could create clearance issues with exhaust, etc.

Also, the C5 rearend (transaxle) is not usable in a Tri-5 without a lot of work to the floors, or an expensive differential. The frame will not readily accept the C5 a-arms in the rear. It's a lot more complicated than a C4 rear.

Lastly, I'm not aware of anyone building C5 frames for Tri-5's except for the "do it yourself" frame that was posted here some time ago, and that had a Ford rearend.

C4 is modular, and a lot easier to implement. Cheaper too. ;)

+1

The C-5 stuff is cool but not a great fit for the tri-fives. There is so much additional work to make C-5 stuff fit that in the end just using C-4 (which fits with no modification) make much more sense. The other question is what is the advantage to C-5 over the C-4?

If your looking for a brand new frame, we offer one that is ready for all the C-4 suspension to bolt in. We can also modify your stock frame. Give us a call.

Kyle

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
yes you guys sell c4. sooo i would expect you to endorse it . newmans stuff is very nice .i have installed c4 and c5 and i have to agree with g.m. and art morisson that it is superior, and really not much more difficult to install . here is my 58 vette with c5 susp. less room than a tri five
wayne

Attachments

·
12,256 Posts
fiddysix, what is the distance across the OUSIDE of the upper a-arm attach plates on your front end? What is the wheel mounting surface width? I'd just like to understand the difference from that and a C4 setup.

Also, is your rear aluminum cradle narrowed in the pic? What is the width of the outside of the frame rails? What is the wheel mounting surface width in the rear?

I would be interested in setting up for C5/6 stuff if it made sense to do it. Problem is, I doubt it really buys you much if anything in front and customers probably aren't willing to pay more for it. You have to build your own crossmember too, I think. The transaxle is a big issue, and would require a lot of floor mods in a tri5, not to mention lengthening of the torque tube and lots of other stuff.

a few years ago when i was buying them from the dealer the c5 upper control arm was 197.00 the c4 was 600.00
wayne
I can buy a complete C4 front end with cradle, steering and brakes for $600. My experience is that C4 stuff is way cheaper than C5.

Examples of C5 prices:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-0...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/97-0...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-0...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/05-0...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

And some C4s:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Corv...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Corv...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/88-9...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
chevynut the front a arm mnt and outside frame width is 28"
the rear outside frame width is 25 3/4
i can 't give you wheel mnt distance untill i can roll it out it is in a 2 car garage with 2 other cars
yes the rear cradle has been narrowed and the axel shafts as well
a new tunnel was also made and in the vett the drive shaft shortened . the tri fives need to be lengthened by 7" if i remember right .... by the way this project is avaiable

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Chevynut, et al,

Is there a good resource for what parts are needed for a C4 conversion? I know most of the major components, but I was just wondering was there a good comprehensive list. I've been reading some threads here, but all the info seems to be spread here and there.

Thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Bkins, I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you asking what you need in addition to the C4 suspension parts?
Yes. Also what to look for when looking at "take-off" suspensions. I see "complete" front and/or rears on ebay and salvage yards, but some of them look more "complete" than others. Assuming I have a frame that was converted, etc, I'm just trying to figure out what parts I'd need to start gathering.

As always, thanks for the help. I'm real good at theory, but not so good with the practical details ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
+1

. The other question is what is the advantage to C-5 over the C-4?

Kyle

I can answer that if the guy is a "Dare to be Different" type of individual, because EVERYONE does teh C4, and no one does teh C5.

I mean, to me anyways, that would be teh only reason to go that route.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts