Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently picked up a decent pair of Calif 1956 series plates for my 57 HT.

Has anyone had good or bad experiences at the DMV registering these plates?

The front plate has a small hole in it (the size of a dime) right through one of the letters and I want to avoid any hassels.

I have a DMV service that will do it for $125; but that seems excessive to me. For that price I might as well repair the plate.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

jim

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I have had dealings w/DMV on this exact issue. They will look the plate over to make sure they are original. Then check the computer to see if it clears the system. THEN, you have to have an original sticker for the particular yr. 1956 does not need a sticker since the plate IS 1956. SO, the sticker you need is red and has 1957 on it. I had one on my '57 Vette for 22 yrs. It is pretty straight forward at the DMV. It always helps if you know someone personally. I also found out each office is going to be a bit different from another office. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Jim, Here in Colorado you need to have plates that match to the year of the car. I do have 1957 Colorado tags on my 57 Bel Air. Just some paper work a picture of the plates ( here we need a set ) front and back tags. I think the cost is maybe 15.00 But we still need to do a 5 year regerstration this cost is about 150.00. But the 57 tags are now assigned to your car.

·
Registered
844 Posts
I have a pair of 1956 plates on my 1956 Chevy. They have the 1962 sticker on them. I just brought them to DMV and completed the paperwork. They did not ask or even mention anything about the 1962 sticker and it is still on. The plates were in very good condition, no holes. I have thought about what would happen if 1 or2 were damaged or stolen and I would have one of those vendors just make a new set.

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,574 Posts
Scott you got lucky, they should not have allowed them with the 62 sticker on them. You have to have the sticker from the original year it would have first been registered for.

I doubt the hole would be much of an issue as long as the plates match and are not currently registered. I just sold my YOM plates to a friend who sent them to a guy to be reconditioned (he likes things in perfect condition) then took them to DMV with this form and walked them through the process. Very few clerks at DMV are familiar with the process and your knowledge and proper preparation will aid you greatly. Once they approve them at the local DMV they send a photocopy of them to Sac for final approval.

This is a great website for license plate info and tells about Calif rules.

This is the form I used to get mine done a few years ago.

·
Registered
84 Posts
When I bought my 56' Nomad from a guy in Socal it had YOM 56' plates on it which was cool. But when I tried to register the car, the DMV said I would need a signed release from the previous owner as they were like "personalized plates" that still belonged to him. So I had to mail him a form to sign and take that back to DMV. Big pain.

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,574 Posts
When I bought my 56' Nomad from a guy in Socal it had YOM 56' plates on it which was cool. But when I tried to register the car, the DMV said I would need a signed release from the previous owner as they were like "personalized plates" that still belonged to him. So I had to mail him a form to sign and take that back to DMV. Big pain.
Yeah I had to sign one of those because my plates had been registered recently. As you know you can buy used plates on the web and at car shows all the time so yes they are personal property and need a release. In many states you own the plates forever, here in Calif you are only given them to use and they stay with the car and when the car leaves the state or is destroyed they need to be returned.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a pair of 1956 plates on my 1956 Chevy. They have the 1962 sticker on them. I just brought them to DMV and completed the paperwork. They did not ask or even mention anything about the 1962 sticker and it is still on. The plates were in very good condition, no holes. I have thought about what would happen if 1 or2 were damaged or stolen and I would have one of those vendors just make a new set.
There are a lot of sites out there that talk about needing the 57 sticker; but having read through the vehicle code, I don't see that. It's one of the reasons that I started the thread - to see the experiences others have had.

I have all the paperwork filled out - just waiting for my local DMV (Santa Monica) to reopen.

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,574 Posts
There are a lot of sites out there that talk about needing the 57 sticker; but having read through the vehicle code, I don't see that. It's one of the reasons that I started the thread - to see the experiences others have had.

I have all the paperwork filled out - just waiting for my local DMV (Santa Monica) to reopen.
I had the 62 sticker on mine the first time I took them in to DMV and the locals approved it but the boys in Sac denied it with the 62 sticker. Had to pull all of them off till I got to the 57 sticker. The second time they took it fine.

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Clifornia old plates

Didn't some of the older plates like 1955 California, have the little gray metal tab that had to inserted into the upper corner of the plate? I heard on the old ones that the two plates were required and that one MUST have the tab to be able to register. ( Later the paper stickers red , blue etc.
Also a question. If the car in California happened to be a 55 ,56, 57 didn't the plates get sold with the car ? As in the plates die with the car when junked/wrecked? Maybe some of you were lucky enough to get yours that way .

P.S. Here in Colorado, as has been stated. 2 plates are required for the year of the car. The fun part is to try and obtain the County number also. Example in 1957 Colorado Springs at the time was 4th largest County, so we had the designator 04 then the plate number. Doesn't matter what the plate number is, as long as they are a decent set.That can be tough. Mike

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
DMV can be a total crap shoot as to paperwork required etc. bottom like is who's at the window. A buddy just got his '41 plates approved no sweat, but his method is to go to a small town in the sticks vs the local one with line around the building. Also have a local service that does this work for a very fare fee, has saved me an ulcer or two. And I'm sure you do need the 57 sticker. I have a nice single 51/55 plate that I'll run on occasion or put on for a show etc. then put the new junk back on. :anim_25:

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Dragmain

I have a question for Dragmain.I assume you put the plate on legally. Really you got one plate and no sticker to be registered? Or do you just randomly throw it on the car for the sake of the retro look"
Wasn't quite clear to me to understand
You stated in the thread," I have a nice single 51/55 plate that I'll run on occasion or put on for a show etc. then put the new junk back on."

Mike

·
Premium Member
5,518 Posts
There have been numerous threads regarding the pains of registering various types of plates and the hassles of dealing with the state DMV. I don't know if other states are the same as here in PA but I have found the easiest thing to do is to go to the local AAA office. They have copies of all the pertainent laws and regulations and have all the correct forms. I've never gone wrong using them. Of course, you have to be a AAA member to use their services.

·
Registered
11,156 Posts
Ohio must be easier than other states...here you just find a nice set of YOM plates or restore a set, apply for Ohio historical plates and then take a black and white copy of the YOM plates to the DMV and register your YOM plates to your car. No stickers needed ever and you only need to run the rear plate unlike the normal Ohio 2 plate State. You do need to keep the historical plates in the car at all times. And yes, I know it's not for ever day driving.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There have been numerous threads regarding the pains of registering various types of plates and the hassles of dealing with the state DMV. I don't know if other states are the same as here in PA but I have found the easiest thing to do is to go to the local AAA office. They have copies of all the pertainent laws and regulations and have all the correct forms. I've never gone wrong using them. Of course, you have to be a AAA member to use their services.
Unfortunately AAA cannot be used for this service in CA - has to be done at the DMV.

I like the idea of going to a smaller office; but the thought of driving two hours to have the privilage of being denied distresses me :(

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Unfortunately AAA cannot be used for this service in CA - has to be done at the DMV.

I like the idea of going to a smaller office; but the thought of driving two hours to have the privilage of being denied distresses me :(
Pain!!!! Had my dad's YOM with 57 sticker not on..she wouldn't clear the plates because the sticker wasn't fixed on the plates. She told me to come back another day with sticker on the plates. B___CH! All i had to do is spend a half second and stick the darn sticker on to the plate.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I have two cars, both 56's with CA 56 plates. It really was not that hard. Like others said, they inspect them, photo them, fill out the form, send it to Sacramento for the approval and then you are good to go. You do need the proper sticker for the proper year. 57 would need a 57 sticker, 60 needs a 60 and so on.

The 56 was the first year with the new size (6X12). Before that they were longer and more rounded on the corners. The 55 would have been a 51 plate, with a silver corner tab with a 55 on it.

Even though they call them YOM plates, they treat them like a personalized plate when it comes to money. Each year they charge you a fee for the "Special Plate".

You can find stickers around. I am not sure how picky DMV is when it comes to them. I can't imagine them being able to check numbers on them...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1956-1957-C...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item461399ba7a

http://www.shop.restoreatag.com/195...on-Sticker-Reflective-3M-Material-0001957.htm

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,574 Posts
You know rather than hunt down and old set of plates paying hundreds for them and then dealing with the DMV issues you can go a different route and order Legacy Plates in the colors of whatever years you liked. Have a random number picked or request your own personal one or use the personal one you already have. Thats why I got rid of my YOM plates and went to a personal one, I hated the yellow color on my blue car, clashed something terrible:sign0020: and to recondition them it was about $150 or so.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
So you send CA DMV 50 bucks to hold onto until 2015, and they promise to refund it if the program is not implemented. Typical California moneymaking project.....and it looks like a $40.00 per year renewal fee added to the usual reg fees.

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,574 Posts
So you send CA DMV 50 bucks to hold onto until 2015, and they promise to refund it if the program is not implemented. Typical California moneymaking project.....and it looks like a $40.00 per year renewal fee added to the usual reg fees.
Ah yeah, same as those Tahoe plates, save the whales things and any other personal plates. No mysteries or conspiracies with this, they do it with all the new plate versions requested by a group. Makes sense to me, you think they are going to do it for free or with other tax money, I am glad they do it this way. The only ones that pay are the ones interested in it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts