Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

Registered
1955/210
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is for anyone looking for a solution to run the larger '51-'56 Cadillac air cleaner without removing the firewall mounted wiper motor (If someone has already posted this, let me know and I'll delete.)
I couldn't find any solutions other than wiper motor removal (notice I didn't day "delete", I'm not 17 y/o and its not a 6 cyl Mustang :LOL:) and or install the under the dash flavor. That wasn't going to work for me. So I got to thinking....a lot...it was keeping me awake at night actually. Why don't I simply modify the bottom base so that it sits off-set. A quick Google search revealed that they already exist, but with only a 1-1/2" offset...okay, that's a start.
Green Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire

It came with an offset rod but it was too short, so I modified it with some parts I had lying around to extend it up a bit:
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Bicycle tire Automotive lighting

I also needed to elevate the base up a bit to clear the rad hose and a/c ports, so I used a 2" spacer:
Motor vehicle Light Green Automotive design Vehicle

And this was the last mod to make the magic happen. I held two paint sticks tapped together (about 1/4" thickness) lengthwise against the wiper motor which allowed me to measure straight back from the the down rod for the dimension required including clearance. I then transferred that dimension to the air cleaner top. Handed it off with instructions to my good friend Mike (Mikes Metalworx) to run it through his band saw and tig a flat piece of steel to the back....because I don't have a band saw and my welds look like the bottom of a pigeon coop. I then dressed the welds and fogged in some black paint. It will eventually be paint matched when I have he car done again:
Car Vehicle Automotive side-view mirror Hood Green

Next, after the paint dried I prayed to the car gods that my idea was going to work, and that I measured correctly and I installed it. Unless I told you, most wont notice that I circumcised the back of it.
Car Vehicle Light Green Motor vehicle

Hood Car Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system

We have clearance Clarence. The pic is a bit distorted, there's more room there in person actually:
Green Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Yellow

Next I'm going to mill about 1/2' off the spacer to bring it down a bit, it sits up a bit high for me. Or, I'll look for an air cleaner element that's about 1/2" shorter (the cover rests on the element). We may have to notch a little off the right rear corner after I do that to make a little more clearance. No biggie though and it wont show.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone looking to do the same.

PS- No, I did not install those yellows wires :rolleyes: they are on the chopping block too.

Administrator & Tech Articles
Great DIY job :)馃憤

Registered
Very nice work. I used the scaled down version of that air cleaner from speedway motors. I had to get a shorter filter element to lower it and had to shave a little off the slider on the wiper motor.
Todd

Registered
Or you could replace the spacer with a phenolic resin carb spacer between the carb and the intake manifold. This would give you the height you need, keep the carb cooler on hot days, and you wouldn't need the extension on the air cleaner hold down bolt.

Registered
Nice work around! I hope you used Loctite on all the threads so no chance it could ever unscrew itself and end up with pieces going down the intake!

Registered
1955/210
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Or you could replace the spacer with a phenolic resin carb spacer between the carb and the intake manifold. This would give you the height you need, keep the carb cooler on hot days, and you wouldn't need the extension on the air cleaner hold down bolt.
I've thought about that as well, thank you.

Registered
1955/210
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice work around! I hope you used Loctite on all the threads so no chance it could ever unscrew itself and end up with pieces going down the intake!
Yes sir, been doing this since the mid 80's. It becomes even more habit after building/working on Harleys all these years too.

Registered
1955/210
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Very nice work. I used the scaled down version of that air cleaner from speedway motors. I had to get a shorter filter element to lower it and had to shave a little off the slider on the wiper motor.
Todd
Thank you. I was looking for a smaller version, didn't realize they existed. I see they are 15-3/4" wide and 15" front to back.
***Does yours clear the wiper motor?
***Also, do you have a pic of your motor compartment like this
Car Vehicle Light Green Motor vehicle

so I can compare the scale?

Registered
I appreciate the write-up on this. I've got a caddy air cleaner sitting on the shelf, but I might just save myself some time and effort and buy the 7/8 scale version instead.

Registered
1955/210
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I appreciate the write-up on this. I've got a caddy air cleaner sitting on the shelf, but I might just save myself some time and effort and buy the 7/8 scale version instead.
Thank you.
I just took the measurements on my '55 again and because I have to run it a bit higher to clear my A/C ports, even the 7/8 scale one may need to be modified. Also because its uses a smaller base plate (I'm guessing around 12") than the 14" larger version, there is no off-set base available so I might still have to take about .75" off the back. I ordered one to try it, if it doesn't work out I'll just send it back.

Stay tuned...

Registered
1955/210
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Great work, looks your your already working on improvements, well done
Thanks, I am actually. The old carb was shot, running extremely rich and leaking gas in several places. I replaced the carb and added a fuel regulator and psi gauge. Swapped out the billet steering wheel with a Mooneyes Green sparkle and the smoothie chrome steel wheels and wide whites with Rocket Racing "Fuel" Series chrome aluminum wheels/bullet caps and pinner whites for a more mid 60鈥檚 vibe. More to come....

Car Vehicle Green Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Window

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Car

1 - 16 of 16 Posts