Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in California. For better or worse, things are getting more and more restrictive, wrt chemicals. In the past several years, I've sent rusty clips and bolts to a company in Hayward, and they come back all clean and silver looking, with "clear cad" plating--10-15 lbs at a time for about $100.

But they can't do cadmium anymore, only zinc, which cracks under torque.

Does anyone know of a place, anywhere in the US, that still provides this service? And no, I don't want to set up my own tank. Been there, done that.

Thanks for any leads.

ps FYI Certain 3M adhesives (e.g. whisker channel, feather tool) can no longer be sold in California.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
When I was working full blast I did a few hundred pounds weekly at local plater in So Calif. They banned real cadium plating about 15-20 years ago
Have done clear or yellow zinc ever since. Never seen any cracking issues.

I'm wondering if they have just been telling you it's cadium, unless the SoCal area is different then where you are located as far as bans on cad

The fellows suggesting rattle can don't realize the benefit of plating, just getting all the grease and rust off of buckets of used bolts and nuts is worth the price and then some

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks and correction

Thanks to all who replied. I just was told by a plater in Nevada that cad plating is still allowed in CA, but many platers stopped doing it because they weren't getting enough business to maintain the tanks.

So I think I'll just call my source here and have them do the parts in zinc.

Slim: you are right, the cleaning alone is worth the price. Since they're rusty and dirty, painting is not an option for me. I've done that successfully on individual pieces that are easy to clean, but not on old screws and rusty clips.

Again, thanks for the advice.

David

·
Premium Member
12,468 Posts
I live in California. For better or worse, things are getting more and more restrictive, wrt chemicals.

ps FYI Certain 3M adhesives (e.g. whisker channel, feather tool) can no longer be sold in California.
I live probably 40 or so miles away from you, in the far western valley up against the start of the coast hills. At one time we had one of the best chrome and plating shops in this state. The guys polished nickle was a work of art, and his chrome stuff was great too. Right here in my town also.

The state started hassling him, then the city jumped on the bandwagon. They ended up driving him out of business. Last I heard he was running some small tanks up a little north of Redding. That's a long haul from here, but I do know of some guys that would drive their parts all the way up there, then have to go back to retrieve them later. That's like 4 hours each way, and that's times four by the time it's all over with.

Any more now most around here take their stuff up to Sherms Plating in Sacramento. Pretty good quality, really good actually. Wonder how long they'll be able to keep the doors open?

·
Registered
582 Posts
If you still want cadmium The Metal Finishing Group up here in Sacramento still list it on there website. Give them a call, very busy shop. I use them for all of my yellow zinc plating needs.

·
Stainless Trim Restoration
8,899 Posts
Any more now most around here take their stuff up to Sherms Plating in Sacramento. Pretty good quality, really good actually. Wonder how long they'll be able to keep the doors open?
Sherms will be in business as long as they want to. They put in a state of the art water treatment plant that takes the water from the Sacramento water system and PURIFIES it to use in their system. When they put water back into the Sacramento water system it exceeds the city of Sacramento's standard. They pass every federal and state rule on plating shops.

They do some of the best polishing and plating on metal any where. Expensive, but not if you have ever had good parts toasted by a bad plating company.

Mikey

·
Registered
440 Posts
Muriatic acid will clean the old plating and the rust almost instantly. You have to neutralize it with baking soda/water after. Works great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts