Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get a set of 1956 California License Plates for my 1957 Chevy. I want to make them as correct as possible. Does anyone know the correct number sequence for 1957 in California? I have found all kinds of information but none that tell me what number sequence is correct for 1957. Any help from anyone out there is appriciated.

·
Trifive Calendar Editor
3,392 Posts
Supposedly each county had a stack of plates and handed them out as needed. Hence the numbers & letters were all over the place. -but they do fall in a range.

1955 Black Yellow plate
Black "55" on Grey background 1951 w/1955 tab

1956 Yellow Black plate starting with "A-G"
3 letter 3 number configuration for car. 1 letter 5 number configuration for truck

1957 Yellow Black plate starting with "D-O"
Black lettering on Red sticker 1956 w/1957 sticker. Sticker on rear plate only

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I would guess that they started with AAA000. My 57 (in 1964) was CFA934. Different counties had different prefixes, you could tell where the car was from originally by it's prefix. I hope this helps or gets you on the right track. Dave

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Holy smokes. This took about 3 minutes. Thank you all. Looks like I'll be looking for license plates that start anywhere between D - O.

Thank you all.

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,610 Posts
You will need a 57 red sticker on one for DMV to accept them. I got lucky on mine, as it was registered to 64 and when I (my wife) removed the newer stickers the original 57 one was still in great shape. Otherwise you need to also find one of them, usually go for around $100.00 each:cool:

Randy

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
Check ebay for a inspection sticker ,,if you have no luck,, check this guy out http://inspectionsticker.net i have found my original on ebay they do show up i use laminate on both sides and double face scotch tape and stick it to the glass and you can peel it off anytime and reaply it :anim_25:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,072 Posts
I forgot to add i have bought 3 of these original stickers on ebay and have paid about 20 bucks each ,,so they are out there,,, but if you need it right away the repro guy does a nice job ---:anim_25:

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,610 Posts
Check ebay for a inspection sticker ,,if you have no luck,, check this guy out http://inspectionsticker.net i have found my original on ebay they do show up i use laminate on both sides and double face scotch tape and stick it to the glass and you can peel it off anytime and reaply it :anim_25:
We don't use those stickers in California.......... just the license plate tab.

Randy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts