Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What will be the fate of our CA hot rods and classic cars after proposition 23 failed to pass? Are the cars we now have to be "grand fathered" or do we have to update them to current smog laws? What other implications are there to this new law of the land? What will be the long term affect on the sport/business of auto restoration and on the classic car/hot rod industry?bowtie-trifive Jon

·
Trifive Calendar Editor
3,396 Posts
23 failed - to help the state financially, it was to put a temp hold on AB 32 (an attempt to help California get close to reaching requirements of the Kyoto protocol).
No change from current course.
So- status quo as far as I know. Our classics are exempt from smog checks. As far as I know, we currently have no new laws pertaining to older cars. Maybe there are some in the works? don't doubt that.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
That's a good question. I've been following this and the only good that I have heard, is that any fee they want to collect must pass by 3/4 majority, which as I understand will be very hard to do. I can't say what effect it will have on classic cars, but heard that any engine over 5hp must be certified and if not up to code must be destroyed. I don't see any good coming from this. I listen to the John and Ken show on KFI online and they seem to be on top of this

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
I saw nothing in AB32 that pertained to cars per say. It appears to concentrate to manufacturing.
Autos are much cleaner than they were in 1990, which is to be the standard or goal of this bill to have the environment to the level it was in 1990. This section is promising tho.

"(e) In developing its plan, the state board shall take into
account the relative contribution of each source or source
category to statewide greenhouse gas emissions, and the potential
for adverse effects on small businesses, and shall recommend a
de minimis threshold of greenhouse gas emissions below which
emission reduction requirements will not apply."

There are relatively few classic cars that make very little impact on total emissions. Fingers crossed but optimistic.
Jim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.