Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I need some info for reference. If you would be so kind, please hold a yard stick on the side of your car at side moulding height with half on the door and half on the front fender. Now measure any gap you have between the yard stick and the point where the door and fender meet. Some 57's appear to dip in slightly at this point and I would like to know how common and how much this gap may be. Thanks in advance.

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,572 Posts
Mike I would like to help, but I'm a little confused on what gap. I presume you mean between the door and fender? Is it constant throughout the top to bottom or just where the trim is? Or is there a specific spot to measure?

·
Registered
198 Posts
gap

i think what he means is that the point where the fender and door meet is slightly concave (bows in).holding the straight edge across the body, measure the distance from the edge of the straight edge to the body. is this right.if so ill have to get back to you with this measurement dave.

·
Administrator
49,378 Posts
Mike i`ll check that area on one of my parts cars, hopefully tomorrow since it1s dark now. I could check mine if it had a front end on already. Hey maybe you could come help and we`ll just check mine. hahah. Terry
http://members.cardomain.com/chevman57

·
Trifive Facebook Admin
10,572 Posts
If I am doing it right its 3/4 of an inch right at the molding. Thats with the yard stick square on the ground touching the bowed out part of the fender/door. Hope that was it.

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Maybe somebody with a yard stick could come over and help me!

While I await your arrival, I'll see if I can improvise :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
ok, passenger side is 5mm, and drivers side is 1 inch, of course drivers side is due to both front wheel cyl. blowing their seals in a hard braking about 2 wks ago, :D so, that's my calculations. Mike.

'honk' 'honk' "We know the horn blows, what about the driver?" :D

·
Senior Member 4 Gold Stars
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not to worry Don, we will call on you later :) Just for grins I checked the 55. My right side is 1/8th inch and the left side is 1/32nd inch. The 55 and 56 weren't as bad about getting off due to the bumper bracket setup. The do get bowed, but not as far back.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My 57 is fairly straight on the passengers side but over a half inch bowed in on the drivers side. I'm going to be replacing the rocker panels and floor pans on this car this summer, and I sure would appreciate an over-all width measurement in the rocker panel area or from the lower hinge bolts
( from the driver's side hinge bolts to the passenger's hinge bolts ) .

I'd hate to get the front fender and door straight only to have the rockerpanels too narrow.

A measurement from the driver's door latch to the passenger's door latch
would be helpful also.

Thanks Guys !!!

·
Registered
688 Posts
I cant measure mine till I put the doors back on but I'll bet I have more because I replaced both my quarters and the aftermarket quarters seem to bow out more than the originals :(

·
Administrator
49,378 Posts
Mike this is an interesting topic. I was working on my frontend yesterday and found in the 1957 Assembly manual that the fender should mount flush to .06 below the door surface for the full vertical length of the door opening.
Terry

1 - 19 of 19 Posts