Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1957 Chevy Bel Air Convertible; ZZ4 w HEI ign; 700r4; 9" rear w/3:50 gears; pwr disc fr w drum rear
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had pretty good results having cluster powder coated, so since I'm rebuilding my steering column I'll also have turn signal and shifter housings done to match. I'm not sure what the steering wheels are constructed of, and whether they can withstand the heat/curing of powder coating....but if it's possible, I could do that at the same time.

Thanks
Ace

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I thought only metal items could be powder coated, am I wrong?

·
Registered
37 Posts
You can powder coat plastics, but they have to be able to take the cure temps (usually over 350 degrees F). I doubt your steering wheel will take those temps. For doing plastics that will take the heat, the part has to be pre heated and coated hot. The reason is that powder coating sticks to steel due to the part being grounded and the powder being charged. Can not do this with plastics due to in not being able to ground the plastic, but if preheated, the powder will liquify on contact and build a coating, then can be cured as normal.

·
Registered
6,486 Posts
The steering wheel is probably made of a hard rubber rather than plastic. Some harden rubber is conductive, don't know about the steering wheel, and may be able to be PC'd. Just a thought.
Jim

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
If it were me I'd talk to the powder coater, someone that does this all day long:rolleyes:...yet that's me and how I am.

If the guy is upfront and honest he'll tell you ... yes or no.

I do not know about the rest of you but I tend to believe what the people that actually do something for a living tell me...

·
Registered
13,434 Posts
I'd use an epoxy primer that has a sandable build to it. I use SPI epoxy and it is great for this kind of thing. It's really tough but will flex.
It's what I am going to do to mine. I will then follow with base and urethane clear.

·
Premium Member
1957 Chevy Bel Air Convertible; ZZ4 w HEI ign; 700r4; 9" rear w/3:50 gears; pwr disc fr w drum rear
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, it doesn't sound like powder-coating the steering wheel is a likely proposition!

thanks for the responses.
Ace

·
Registered
37,963 Posts
I think the "good" hard rubber would take it, but the heat of the oven would probably open up any small cracks in the rubber. And virtually every one of these wheels has a crack or two at this point in time, even though they may be unseen. That's the real risk, will the unseen cracks be seen after the oven cure? I say the risk is pretty high.

And I guess if your steering wheel was perfect, you wouldn't be asking.

The usual deal on a steering wheel restoration to open up and fill cracks with marine epoxy or equivalent, then epoxy primer, primer surfacer, and paint just like you'd put on the exterior of the car.

·
Registered
164 Posts
about 10yrs ago DuPont bought some technology they didn't say where from that had a special powder that could be cured in about 5 sec by a UV light but i don't think it went very far because it was a ton of money to use. you could contact someone who powdercoats mdf like for cabinets thats done at alot lower temp.:anim_25:

·
Powder Coating Tech
924 Posts
I have powder coated plastic before but it is the special composite plastic used on the LS style intakes. I have see people use regular powder to coat MDF wood, I have wanted to experiment with that process but have not had the extra time to play around !!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts