Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to pick up a 1995 camaro z 28 rear end, posi, with disc brakes, with a ratio of 3.23. I plan on a 4 link with coil overs at the same time. Will this rear end fit? My 57 should have a 62" with and I can't find a chart on the 95 camaro. Some post say it won't work and say it will, but no measurement.
Can you Help please.
larry

·
Registered
75 Posts
From the outside face of the axle hub to the opposite axle hub, I got 64-3/4".
From the outside face of the backing plate to the opposite backing plate, I got 61".
From center to center of the spring perches, I got 40"

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
I have the opportunity to pick up a 1995 camaro z 28 rear end, posi, with disc brakes, with a ratio of 3.23. I plan on a 4 link with coil overs at the same time. Will this rear end fit? My 57 should have a 62" with and I can't find a chart on the 95 camaro. Some post say it won't work and say it will, but no measurement.
Can you Help please.
larry
I have to ask WHY? It`s a weak diff. and there are many better options especially on wider rears.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks seria gold, I don't know anything about rear end's. I have a Heidts IFS, 454 with a thumper cam, rebuilt 700r4, and I have to drive around in 3rd gear to keep it from bucking. I am looking for higher end gears.

My 10 bolt chevy rear end with a ratio of 2.80 something(39 teeth on big ring, 16 on small), 6 lug axle's, seams to be ok. I am not sure it is stock 57 or has been replaced.

This Camaro rear end has disk brakes, 3.23 gears, positraction, torsion bar, all items I want to change to, for $325. Other than the 3.23 gears instead of 3.55 or 3.7x, it has what I want. Except it may not fit!!!

57 born to run, what suggestions do you have please?

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
How wide of a rear do you want? I would be looking at 8.5 truck rears.

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
If I remember correctly, a 2nd gen Camaro rear is a good fit in one of those trucks and is a sturdier unit than the 7.5 model found in the 3rd and 4th gen Camaros.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
unless your drag racing it dont worry about it. if you are there is nothing made by gm to use. 9in ford is the strongest but way overkill for the street. you'll never get enough traction to do any damage so for the price it should be fine. how wide is the only thing to worry about ..

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
how is he going to tear up a rear end with a pick up ? those rear ends were used for years . let's be real all gm rear ends are weak. i blew up 12 bolts every weekend until i got smart. like i said if your racing dont use anything gm go to a 9 inch ford or dana rear end. my 54 ford truck has an s10 rear in it . 3:42 gears and if i scatter it i'm loosing 100 bucks. but i know of several with ls motors in them . at 325 it's worth the gamble.

·
Banned
8,304 Posts
If you are going through the trouble of welding in a 4-bar set up might as well weld it up to a stronger rear.Truck 8.5 rears are a dime a dozen some with the better "EATON STYLE" posi units as opposed to the "GOV. LOCK" 7.5 rear.

·
R.I.P. Sept. 8, 2018 Senior Member 2 Gol
2,665 Posts
Larry, you should get the width measurement first. I think you might find it's too wide anyway. They are wider the then the earlier Camaro's but I can't find anything specific for you.

·
Registered
385 Posts
My Dad still reminds me that I broke the 9" in his truck when I was 16. But it wasn't my fault. lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
unless your drag racing it dont worry about it. if you are there is nothing made by gm to use. 9in ford is the strongest but way overkill for the street. you'll never get enough traction to do any damage so for the price it should be fine. how wide is the only thing to worry about ..
Porchdog i also have a 55 56 57 chevy trucks rebuilding one and rear end is 59 1/4 i beleave would like to go with 9" but not sure what years will fit i read the there are 7 different ones but dont know the links is there some chart that i can look at online anywere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Porchdog i also have a 55 56 57 chevy trucks rebuilding one and rear end is 59 1/4 i beleave would like to go with 9" but not sure what years will fit i read the there are 7 different ones but dont know the links is there some chart that i can look at online anywere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Im wanting to go with air bags but have to know what rear end to use before ordering anything.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I’ll throw in another “no” vote on the 7.5” rear; I snapped one like a pencil with a stock motor on street tires on a surface with no prep

·
Registered
750 Posts
...and I’m caught yet again on the “recommended reading” and post on a five year old thread. Ugh.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts