Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter is playing volleyball for their school. It's a small school, but they do have a bus, and a van.

For almost every game so far this season, they've tried to pawn off getting to/from the games to the parents and/or the students... I finally had to put my foot down today and complain to the principal, asking why they are doing this for each game, and why they are not using the bus and/or van??!! Nevermind gas expenses, what ever became of school spirit, strength in numbers, etc.??

I really hate having to be "that guy", but it seems like I have a hat custom-made for me with that title on it!!

If I'm looking at this from the wrong angle, can someone please tell me?

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
15,022 Posts
it costs overtime for a bus driver to drive to and from a game and they might not have insurance coverage for that as well. it all adds up fast for the school. also it is a way to garnish parent support as few parents would otherwise go.

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Maybe have to look it "at all angles". I would take "complain" out of the equation and just ask what the reason behind the parents driving. I have seen some sports take more of a back seat to others. Not saying VB is a lesser sport !!! I would say the opposite as I am a big VB fan, Played adult VB myself up to a few years ago, My wife @ 67 still plays twice a week so does my adult son and his wife. Great team sport, but I digress.
When our children were in sports Cheerleading, Football, Soccer and Volleyball all through their growing years always went to the games and provided transportation if needed. It was a great time!! As I'm sure you do. I missed it when it was all over. Back in it now as took our grandson to soccer last night. Hes the oldest at 6, so back in the soup. So I have seen some sports take the spotlight, Football and Soccer and sometimes only so much school $$ to go around but that doesn't make VB any less of one. IF you had to ask me VB is still one of the clean unspoiled sports. So feed the need. Just my 2 1/2 cents.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate all of the thoughts- I do get to her games when I can (and have already been to a few this season), but they insist on having the games at 4PM. Try telling your boss that you have to leave for every single 4PM game :(

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Plain & simple....the schools need (WANT) more money.....
And do not have enough, not even close. Our children and their children will never have the in depth immersion style education that we were afforded. They are packed like tuna into a classroom and must absorb 3 times the amount of material that I did.

Cut the schools some slack, it is the children that are suffering from the new paradigm.

·
Registered
542 Posts
I work in a senior living facility . We have a bus and anyone that drives it has to supply a copy of their license to New Your State and be approved as a driver . Now I'm sure I can drive that bus better and safer then anyone in the building ........But I'm not putting my license on file . Just me . It is a small bus just to be clear .

·
Registered
🐔County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
10,919 Posts
If the school treats their boys football team the same way, then I would say that it is acceptable. They simply don't have the funds. If they give the football team a higher priority, then that is WAY WRONG!

Does the school charge an admission price to the football games that helps fund itself? And does the swim team do the same?

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
If the school has all of the core educational materials and equipment to perform their primary charge of student EDUCATION then I guess it's okay to allocate a portion of their funding to accommodate the extra curricular transportation of the few volleyball players.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The school does not have a football team.

I don't think the vball coach has the school bus driving license. Only the principal.

The part that is even more comical is, that same bus needed repairs in the Spring, and the school asked the parents for donation funds to fix it. I am one of the parents who contributed, lol.

·
Premium Member
1956 chevy 210 del rey sedan
15,022 Posts
sounds to me like the school is typically underfunded. not much you can do about that

·
Registered
507 Posts
or the funds are diverted elsewhere......
Is this a public or private school?

If a public school, submit a public records request of the schools accounting dept, will show what for and where the money is going on paper, then you can compare that to what you have actually seen happen and maybe get a better idea of how it is being allocated...

Just a thought if you are that concerned about how they are spending their money.

·
Registered
152 Posts
It is a private parochial school.
THAT may be the reason. My Son drove a bus and he was with a contract bus company. He would drive students to games for pay, not get paid waiting for the game to be comp-leted, then he would get paid to drive them back to the school. Being a private school, they probably don't get government grants to fund the bus.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts