Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, after reading about the Napa 601233 wiper replacement blades here I went to my local Napa and inquired.

They would have to order them and they were 36 bucks EACH! Picture the look on my face - but then, I should not be surprised even though it is one of the more excessive examples of horrendous pricing up here. Small wonder there is a thriving business of pickup warehouses just across the border for us northern oppressed.

They are 8.99 in the U.S.

·
Registered
67,738 Posts
yikes!!!!!!! :bath:

·
Registered
227 Posts
Hi all, after reading about the Napa 601233 wiper replacement blades here I went to my local Napa and inquired.

They would have to order them and they were 36 bucks EACH! Picture the look on my face - but then, I should not be surprised even though it is one of the more excessive examples of horrendous pricing up here. Small wonder there is a thriving business of pickup warehouses just across the border for us northern oppressed.

They are 8.99 in the U.S.
I hear you! :( I've made many trips to across the border.
have you tried http://www.antiquechev.com/home.htm it's about 45min from toronto but you can get the items shipped for a few dollars.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, they are in Dundas - been there a few times, purchased stuff, good guys. They are basically Danchuk North with upcharged pricing - hey they gotta make money too. I think they ship large quantities in so their shipping cost is nominal but they still have to increase the price to get some profit.

Scott knows his stuff and I do give them some business. Takes me about an hour to get there.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Had to order some brake stuff for the old truck. Could not find locally, so had to buy south from the states. Once I calculated all out of pocket fees...including the price of the parts themselves, shipping, customs...etc., 1/3 of my final cost was wasted on everything else other than the parts I needed...luckily we have free trade :banghead:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
33122 is the trico cross over # rock auto sells for $3.32 Canadian for a pair delivered to Canada just under $20
Thanks for the info - better I buy 6 of them for the same shipping and have a lifetime supply. I used to just change the rubber, maybe I should go back to that.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had to order some brake stuff for the old truck. Could not find locally, so had to buy south from the states. Once I calculated all out of pocket fees...including the price of the parts themselves, shipping, customs...etc., 1/3 of my final cost was wasted on everything else other than the parts I needed...luckily we have free trade :banghead:
Free trade! Free money for the govt, free hand for UPS to just make up random number brokerage fees and extra charges. It's unbelievable.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Free trade! Free money for the govt, free hand for UPS to just make up random number brokerage fees and extra charges. It's unbelievable.
Don't get me started with UPS! :motz:
We bought a back pack for my daughter that was $40 just to be charged by UPS $90 on brokerage fees!

We called the UPS main office and I was told that, that was the brokerage fee and that there was nothing that they could do about it! Called the place where we got the back pack and ask why they used UPS when we had clearly asked not to. They apologized and return the price of the back pack but still we ended up paying $90 dollars for it!

The weird thing is that USPS does not have such charges, at least not as inflated as the UPS!

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
believe it or not you can refuse to pay the brokerage fee. if you check on it it is actually illegal for them to chge you the fee

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Don't get me started with UPS! :motz:
We bought a back pack for my daughter that was $40 just to be charged by UPS $90 on brokerage fees!

We called the UPS main office and I was told that, that was the brokerage fee and that there was nothing that they could do about it! Called the place where we got the back pack and ask why they used UPS when we had clearly asked not to. They apologized and return the price of the back pack but still we ended up paying $90 dollars for it!

The weird thing is that USPS does not have such charges, at least not as inflated as the UPS!
UPS is regarded as pure evil here. I've learned that if I get stuff delivered to work there is magically no mystery fees. USPS is usually fee free, but many places can't be bothered to use it even if I request it.

·
Registered
227 Posts
believe it or not you can refuse to pay the brokerage fee. if you check on it it is actually illegal for them to chge you the fee
Good to know for next time. Also I may try having the items delivered to my work which is also an option as bobbybelair suggested!

Thanks for the info! :)

·
Premium Member
3,982 Posts
bobby that is why i get my stuff shipped to a fellow tri5er in buffalo drive across the border and pick it up ,its also pretty sad when you order a part and shipping is more then the part [and ups stands for use purolator stupid] not calling you stupid thats just one of the sayings lol

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bobby that is why i get my stuff shipped to a fellow tri5er in buffalo drive across the border and pick it up ,its also pretty sad when you order a part and shipping is more then the part [and ups stands for use purolator stupid] not calling you stupid thats just one of the sayings lol
That is what I am going to start doing - I actually put off ordering things lately because I have been so miffed about it.

Did you end up in Toronto on the long weekend Monday? Too bad I was out that day.

·
Registered
5,305 Posts
When I order parts in the US, I specifically ask for USPS and if they say sorry we only ship UPS, I politely thank them and informed them I will be doing business elsewhere. I have not been satisfied with UPS in the past because of inflated brokerage fees.

·
Premium Member
15,575 Posts
Man I had no idea that our Canadian brothers were getting shafted like this on shipping. I could understand it if the parts were going to Australia or New Zealand which is half way around the world but Canada? We are attached to Canada for god's sake. Somebody is getting rich.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And it's not just shipping - 36 bucks Napa Canada for a 9 dollar part at Napa US>

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
For the past couple of years I've had stuff shipped to a friend in CT, and then he would wait till he got a few orders together, rebox them into ONE box, and send it up to me properly using USPS...saved a bundle, but felt like I was overstaying my welcome, so decided to send these right up...

At a past job (while working from home) I use to get samples from south of the border...samples that we would test, and do product reviews and such, and even while being sent for FREE, UPS always shoved their "brokerage fees" down my throat, so I asked that everything be sent Fedex, or USPS, and we never used UPS again.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts