Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, not sure if I have this question in the correct place. I think I know the answer to this dilemma, but was hoping someone could check me. My 56 belair originally had a powerglide with column shift.Now, It has a th-350 with the same column shift. With the shifter fully in park, the shift lever "tab" is above the shift detent bracket "stop"--- see pics. In that position, I can't get it out of park unless I manually push the shift lever in the direction of the steering box. Then , I can go to any gear I want but I can't get it back up into park unless I manually do it. I'm thinking the shift detent bracket which is bolted to the column is specific for the powerglide. I did see a completely different shift detent bracket in Classic Chevy that is suited for a TH trans. Am I correct? Thanks, David

Attachments

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,021 Posts
The detent only locks it in park, which is in the same place on both transmissions. You apparently have lost motion or wear in the upper shift lever. The ball on the end of the upper shift lever fits in a hole in the shift tube. V-V in this drawing. ..... http://www.trifive.com/garage/56%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/313-8.gif ...... The end of the shift lever or the hole in the shift tube key could be worn. Also, the pin or the hole that the pin goes through the shift collar, that holds the lever to the shift collar, could be worn. "X" in the drawing.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Don. I think I might need to clarify. The upper shift lever will move quite freely through all the gears --P R N D L if I remove the shift detent bracket that is supposed to hold it in park for safety. With the bracket installed, the "tab" on the lower shift lever can't get around it, and therefore I am unable to shift gears using the upper shift lever. The "tab" I'm referring to is the square shaped metal tang of the lower shift lever-- see pic. I think I might need a different bracket that will allow the metal tab to move.

·
Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert
27,021 Posts
Thanks Don. I think I might need to clarify. The upper shift lever will move quite freely through all the gears --P R N D L if I remove the shift detent bracket that is supposed to hold it in park for safety. With the bracket installed, the "tab" on the lower shift lever can't get around it, and therefore I am unable to shift gears using the upper shift lever. The "tab" I'm referring to is the square shaped metal tang of the lower shift lever-- see pic. I think I might need a different bracket that will allow the metal tab to move.
When you pull UP on the upper shift lever to change gears, it pushes the shift tube DOWN, ("D" in the drawing). The shift tube moves the lower lever down so that it will clear the tab on the detent. In other words, when you lift the upper lever, it moves the lower lever down as if you were pulling it down under the hood. Is the upper lever hitting the steering wheel before it can be lifted far enough? ... See View B .... http://www.trifive.com/garage/56%20Chevy%20Assembly%20Manual/313-10.gif

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don, got it! I had completely disassembled the steering column, and upon reassembly, I had things a little too clean. There wasn't any lube on the shaft inside the mast, and therefore, it wouldn't slide down when I pulled up on the upper lever. I shot some wd-40 down the shaft and it works perfectly. Every once in a while, I get lucky. Thanks for your help on this. David

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
David
Now I have heard all kinds of excuses why you are late taking your date home. Couldn't get the trans out of park? Her dad is going for this one! Glad you figured it out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts