Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have cleaned the cooling system twice on my 85 SWB and still it's rusty looking. There are no issues other than rust. It cools fine. First time I used flush I forgot to open the heater, so I did it again. It's better but still crappy looking. Anybody got any ideas or a product they have used? Help, antifreeze is expensive!

·
Registered
442 Posts
did you try draining the block? I pulled both block plugs one time and had to use a screw driver to break up the sludge before any water ran out. then it took several attemps to flush out all of it.

Geoff

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
The way I do it is warm it up good,then flush.
Then drain ALL the water I can from the engine while it's running(yes,it gets hot!)
Then I flush it again.
Then drain while it's running again.
Over and over till it's clean.
I just finished doing 7 of my cars/trucks,including a 82 Chevy truck and a 85 GMC truck.
Wife's Cavalier was the hardest one!Got it done and the water pump started leaking.Started all over again.
Mike.:bowtieb::)

·
Registered
37,981 Posts
I agree with all of the above.

I've never had a problem with the flush not coming clear. Even when it does, there is more in the cooling system that you won't get out.

Keep trying. Don't put any antifreeze in it until you are happy with the results. Even if you have to drive around with water only for a couple of days.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with all of the above.

I've never had a problem with the flush not coming clear. Even when it does, there is more in the cooling system that you won't get out.

Keep trying. Don't put any antifreeze in it until you are happy with the results. Even if you have to drive around with water only for a couple of days.
Seems like I'm trying what you guys are suggesting, I even pulled the bottm rad. hose. I put antifreeze back in the first time because I thought it was clean, this time because here in Okla. the weather can turn quick. I will try again next weekend.

·
Registered
235 Posts
For what it's worth, I used the orange colored anti-freeze and it caused problems with my cooling system. I use the green stuff again after spending a lot of time flushing and using flush agents to get the system clean.

·
Registered
14,244 Posts
I first pulled my motor. Knocked the freeze plugs out then put the wand from my pressure washer in one of the holes and blasted. I did that in every hole from every angle. Took about 20 minutes to get things clean.:anim_25:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts