Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need to replace the glass in my driver side rear door on my 4dr 57 sedan.

I took the 4 screws out that separates the channel from the regulator, but how do I get the glass out of the fur lined channel in the door?

Thanks yall.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Darkfox, Ya gotta remove the window from the car to remove the glass from the channel. A paint mixing stick and a hammer can be used to drive the glass out of the channel. Work the length of the channel a little at a time. You can also use a paint scraper. Slide the paint scraper between the glass and the channel and use a small mallet to drive the metal channel away from the glass...slowly.

·
Registered
442 Posts
to remove the fur channel, you must remove 2 screws (1 on bottom end of each channel retainer at the jamb section). the rest of the channel must be pryed out at several points including the top of front and rear retainers and around the top frame of the door. If this is original fuzzy channel, the odds are good that you will destroy it. If it is new it's not to bad. Just go slow and be careful. Using a 2" or 1-1/2" wide putty knife may help.

Geoff

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
ugh, I wonder how much someone will charge if I bring this to them..

i don't wanna get this apart and not be able to put it back together.

The screws are in the door themselves at the bottom?

This fuzzy was put on in the 80s or 90s. It's fine.

tbh it's such a tight fit I was afraid of this.

I don't have to take the window regulator out right? That part actually operates really smoothly. The glass rolls in tightly and actually "hums" at one point on it's way up. perhaps it's TOO tight..

·
Registered
442 Posts
you do not have to remove the regulator, but it is nice to be able to operate the regulator (which yours does). If the channel has been replaced it should not be hard to remove. It may have been screwed into place with small chamfered sheet metal screws that bury themselves into the channel and may be hard to see. the 2 screws I mentioned are on the side(jamb area under the latch and between the hinges). You will note they are phillips head and have a large star washer and a rubber washer.

Just go slow and investigate what you have. Getting the fuzzy channel out is the key. The window itself will come out okay, except for sometimes the rubber window setting channel has a flap toward the outside of the door that may now be stiff and a little challenging in getting the actual window out.

I have ripped off this flap to get the glass out and never lost any sleep over it.

Geoff

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks.

Yea it does have the rubber and it's soft and pliable. I've ran my hand into it several times already trying to figure out how to do this.

I'll probably take a whack at this Saturday.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
you do not have to remove the regulator, but it is nice to be able to operate the regulator (which yours does). If the channel has been replaced it should not be hard to remove. It may have been screwed into place with small chamfered sheet metal screws that bury themselves into the channel and may be hard to see. the 2 screws I mentioned are on the side(jamb area under the latch and between the hinges). You will note they are phillips head and have a large star washer and a rubber washer.

Just go slow and investigate what you have. Getting the fuzzy channel out is the key. The window itself will come out okay, except for sometimes the rubber window setting channel has a flap toward the outside of the door that may now be stiff and a little challenging in getting the actual window out.

I have ripped off this flap to get the glass out and never lost any sleep over it.

Geoff
Alright I was down there about an hour.. I can't get the channel to let go. It's stuck tight on the inside of the door and the outside of the door (that is.. the back of the car side of the door) it moves about 1/2" then makes a metallic sound like it's hitting something. It won't come loose.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
alright, I got it.. the metal channel beneath the fur channel has 2 upper tabs.

I had to use a screw driver and pop the tabs out.. after that the glass came out.

Sooo..

the problem that caused all this is the channel the glass sits in is rusted up pretty bad inside... and the loss of material apparently made it lose it's grip on the glass with the rubber.

so I don't know what to do now. Looks to me like I need a new channel for the glass to sit in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts