Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have this ecklers shift linkage that came in my 2004r conversion kit that I'm installing in my 56.

I'm using a tom's classic tilt column and for the life of me, I can't get the full range of gears (car isn't running yet)
I can get park to 2nd or 1st to reverse. Any ideas?

·
Registered
6,758 Posts
Take a look at the Lokar unit.
I've used them on several tri fives w/o issue....

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
54,216 Posts
I've used that linkage on two of my builds...Living in Florida. I saw no need for the L1 gear.

From my build thread:
I bolted it back on to the rod and placed it on the firewall side of the shift lever...At first I didn't think that I had accomplished anything...However, once I got under the car an started adjusting things, the shifting actually became rather smooth....It will move from Park to L2 now without issue...I'm satisfied with that...It is as good as my four door with a 700R now.

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
I use a Kugel Komponents shift arm. It can pretty much be straight and has a nice adjustable arm for the trans. Have 3 of them and all get full range. I tried the bent one you have and it runs out of range to the rear before low gets there.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
I have this ecklers shift linkage that came in my 2004r conversion kit that I'm installing in my 56.

I'm using a tom's classic tilt column and for the life of me, I can't get the full range of gears (car isn't running yet)
I can get park to 2nd or 1st to reverse. Any ideas?

That looks like something McGuaghy cooked up, POS

·
54,216 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Which hole are you using on the arm on the transmission?
The arm on the trans needs to be shorter to get full travel. That is what the adjustable arms are designed to accomplish, getting the ratio of the column shift arm to the trans arm to work together to give you full shift range. Easy way to fix it is an adjustable trans arm. For what they cost I would drill a new hole in the trans arm to see how that works. You could also slot out the trans arm and use a heim joint on that end of the shift linkage to get the ratio where it needs to be. Once you get that dialed in the slot in the arm could be welded up and re-drilled in the correct position if your concerned about the heim joint slipping out of position.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Many years ago i needed one for my 57. Went to CARS Inc and waned to buy a Lokar which they were out of. But they had this McGaughy bar. Was much cheaper so i though might as well. What a joke. It was bent just like the one in question except it didn't have the extra rod welded to it. All it would do is flop over to the side when you tried to shift with it. So got the good one Lokar from some where else.

·
Premium Member
2,449 Posts
Something I experienced on my friends 55 using a similar rod as the OP was every time you would hit a good bump in the road the weight of that rod at least I think that was the reason caused the shift lever to bounce up & down.Never jumped out of gear but made you think it might. I changed the linkage to the Lokar style that completely eliminated the shift lever from bouncing.

·
Registered
567 Posts
This is the on I used, I have used the lokar too, but found this to work the same for less cash.

·
54,216 Posts
This is the on I used, I have used the lokar too, but found this to work the same for less cash.
Do you have to make some bends in that one?

·
Registered
5,103 Posts

Essentially a copy made you know where. Yes it will work.

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Do you have to make some bends in that one?

That's the whole point, you don't want a bend. The straight bar clears everything after you set it up correctly. Mine did just barely rub the firewall if i remember correctly but it didn't hamper performance.
Bending it makes it flop, to have a bend you will need a support to keep it in place, this is for the one I had bought and thrown in the trash.

·
Registered
567 Posts
That's the whole point, you don't want a bend. The straight bar clears everything after you set it up correctly. Mine did just barely rub the firewall if i remember correctly but it didn't hamper performance.
Bending it makes it flop, to have a bend you will need a support to keep it in place, this is for the one I had bought and thrown in the trash.
I hooked mine to the front side of the shifter lever on the column, that moved it away from the firewall so it didn’t rub. I also tweaked the lever on the column a bit so it would line up better with the transmission lever. 700R4 and get all the gear selections.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts