Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I went drag racing this weekend and the car ran good until the second round of eliminations and it felt a little funny coming out of the burnout box. I didn't think much about it and it ran down the track like normal until I let off at the finish line and it headed towards the wall abruptly!! I got back in the throttle and it straightened out. Not a good feeling!! Well I got it back to the pits and crawled under it and noticed the lh side of the ladder bar cross member where the ladder bar mounts is broken at the frame and right next to the bracket. So it was allowing the rear end to slide front to back 2" which is the length of the slider on the leaf spring axle floater. I am glad now I'm still running leaf springs not coilovers. I already priced a new cross member and brackets is $70 on eBay. For a Competition Engineering tubular cross member like what's in it.

·
Administrator
66,133 Posts
Small repair in the scheme of things, at least you had a good day at the races considering it could have been a lot worse :tu

BTW what did you run first round

·
Registered
67,743 Posts
could have been worst, can race another day. :anim_25:

·
Premium Member
14,045 Posts
get a 3x2 crossmember and new brackets. the round tube ones are prone to failure without a bunch of extra bracing. I only use the 3x2 boxed ones now unless it is a round tube chassis car, then there is plenty of stuff to triangulate into.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
get a 3x2 crossmember and new brackets. the round tube ones are prone to failure without a bunch of extra bracing. I only use the 3x2 boxed ones now unless it is a round tube chassis car, then there is plenty of stuff to triangulate into.
thanks I was looking at those also. makes since that the 2x3 sqaure tubing one would be stronger than the round and the brackets only weld to 2 sides instead of all the way around the tube since mine broke right next to the weld on both spots that its broke

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Small repair in the scheme of things, at least you had a good day at the races considering it could have been a lot worse :tu

BTW what did you run first round
I dialed a 7.86 and ran a 7.88 with a crappy light .143 reaction time. The guy I raced had a worse light .435 and he had dialed a 7.40 and ran a 7.35 and broke out. At the track we had 10,000 ft air Saturday

1 - 7 of 7 Posts