Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there recommend a particular car shipper? I am looking to get a car from Wyoming to Alabama (potentially my first '55). I know Stewart Transportation will do it, but I was looking for oneone a little cheaper (<$1k)
Eldon

·
Registered
53 Posts
I used Express Auto Transport to ship my '55 wagon from Washington(state) to North Carolina. They were only a little cheaper than other companies I contacted for an estimate.

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have gotten "Instant Quotes" from $950 to $1500 so far. Thanks for the heads up!
Eldon

·
Administrator
49,355 Posts
From some of the horror stories i`ve heard on shippers i would go by reputation, not price. Cheaper is not always better and sometimes costlier if they tear up something. I saw a post on shippers on another site and the shipper tore out slots in the frame on both sides, believe it was fed ex shipping. I keep seeing the name of one that is supposedly good and compitent, D.A.S.
Terry

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think what will happen will be that I pick it up in Wyoming with a U-Haul trailer and bring it home on my own. What does a used car trailer cost anyway?
Thanks!
Eldon

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
I drove to Iowa from Florida to get my 57 -- took a car to Wisconsin "on the way" and then went to Iowa to get the 57....used U-Haul, but can't remember the price (it WAS more than a year ago after all!) I love a road trip so it was part adventure and part fun...I don't know about NC to Wash and back, though, that's a pretty long drive!

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm. I could buy one used in Wyoming, use it to come back here with the car, then sell it when I get back and I will be out only my gas expenses.

I have to wait until I get a place to put one. Right now the garage is full with junk and a 2002 Honda Civic. Gotta wait until I get a different garage to work in.

·
Administrator
49,355 Posts
Dave i`ve wanted a car hauler trailer for a long time. This past feb.me and a friend of mine went in halves on a used 18` trailer and it is nice not having to borrow one when you need it. Trouble is i don`t need one real regular. Terry

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I looked it up on U-Hauls website and they have it at about $50.00 per day to rent a car trailer. As little as I would use one, that may be the route I go. I say that now, but 3-4 years from now I will have one in my backyard...:rolleyes:

·
Administrator
49,355 Posts
Also on the u haul trailers i read somewhere that they will do an inspection of you tow vehicle before they will rent you a trailer and if it doesn`t pass gvw and a few other things they won`t rent you a trailer.
Terry

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I have a 20' Texas Rollback all-alluminum car hauler.I am a home builder and usually don't work much December thru March except in the shop.In the past during my slow season,I have hauled cars for fellows in our area within a reasonable distance throughout the Midwest and have occasionally even delivered to both coasts.I love to drive and can usually make about 900 to 1,000 miles per day unless someone with a weak bladder is slowing me down :rolleyes: I pull with a F250 4-dr Superduty.If anyone needs something hauled fairly close,I may be able to help.

·
Administrator
1957 Bel Air sport sedan
8,821 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As for the UHaul, I would use a '91 Ford F-250 4x4 that hauls my grandfather's triple axle travel trailer. I am sure it is rated for a car trailer. It is a behemoth.

As for giving you a call regarding transport, I may one day do that when I pick up a car that is heading my way, a 1960 Pontiac Bonneville 4dr HT.
Eldon

·
Administrator
9,085 Posts
I had my 57 chevy shipped from New Jersy to Kentucky, I don't remember the name of the company, But from what I understand they mostly use sub contractors that they dispatch for.

I know a few things that affect the price of shippers besides miles.

Does the car run or not.
Do you need and inclosed trailer

MY car arrived ok with no problems, the shipper told where it was at all times.

Now if one of our guys does hauling I would consider them, since they know how much the cars mean to us no matter what they look like:)

Otis

1 - 15 of 15 Posts