Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a little misshap at the local Super Chevy show on Sunday....a tent got caught in the wind and hit my car putting a 1/4 inch wide by 2 inch long gouge down the the bear metal on the top of all the worst places. I realize that the only real fix is completely repainting the top but that will have to wait until the winter due to too many shows upcoming. What I have done is build it up with touch up paint allowing 24 hours to harden, then I took a single edge razor blade and pulled it across a piece of sandpaper to put a burr on the edge. I then flipped it over and used this burr to shave the touch up paint level with the car then wet sanded the area. Actually it came out perfectly smooth but of course the color is a little different, today I am going to mix some clear and actually paint over it with a small brush, let it harden again and repeat the razor blade, wet sanding proces....anyone have any differet suggestions???
By the way the tent belonged to one of my best friends, it was an accident, so there will be no recourse against him, I could not do that.

·
Registered
559 Posts
We have learned down here in South TX to always tie-down, weight down the tent poles. I saw some learn the hard way. Sounds like you have it all under control with the paint until permanent repairs can be made.
John F

·
Registered
581 Posts
:wavey: thats too bad about the paint damage but I like your attitude regarding your friend, theres too much animosity and hate in the world these days:tu:tu

·
Premium Member
19,669 Posts
Had a little misshap at the local Super Chevy show on Sunday....a tent got caught in the wind and hit my car putting a 1/4 inch wide by 2 inch long gouge down the the bear metal on the top of all the worst places. I realize that the only real fix is completely repainting the top but that will have to wait until the winter due to too many shows upcoming. What I have done is build it up with touch up paint allowing 24 hours to harden, then I took a single edge razor blade and pulled it across a piece of sandpaper to put a burr on the edge. I then flipped it over and used this burr to shave the touch up paint level with the car then wet sanded the area. Actually it came out perfectly smooth but of course the color is a little different, today I am going to mix some clear and actually paint over it with a small brush, let it harden again and repeat the razor blade, wet sanding proces....anyone have any differet suggestions???
By the way the tent belonged to one of my best friends, it was an accident, so there will be no recourse against him, I could not do that.
I know, but did your friend offer, he should have insurance, , I know i would, just me, :anim_25:

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tent damage

I would have too Randy, he is a very good friend and I am sure that he will try to make it up to me, he has helped me on a lot of projects over the past 40 years and I have helped him, I imagine that he is waiting to see if I paint it myself or farm it out, and I have not decided that myself yet, I don't mind fenders hoods, trunks and whatever or a whole car before all of the trim is on but I hate to tackle the roof after the car is together. the bad news is that I had the touchup looking pretty good this morning before the clear and the clear was some that I had for a while, had pinholes and after waiting for it to harden I wet sanded it off and went through the paint...Oh well I touched it up again and now the whole roof paint might come sooner then later. Thanks guys for the support, I know that you all know how bad it hurts when your baby gets a boo boo

·
Premium Member
19,669 Posts
I would have too Randy, he is a very good friend and I am sure that he will try to make it up to me, he has helped me on a lot of projects over the past 40 years and I have helped him, I imagine that he is waiting to see if I paint it myself or farm it out, and I have not decided that myself yet, I don't mind fenders hoods, trunks and whatever or a whole car before all of the trim is on but I hate to tackle the roof after the car is together. the bad news is that I had the touchup looking pretty good this morning before the clear and the clear was some that I had for a while, had pinholes and after waiting for it to harden I wet sanded it off and went through the paint...Oh well I touched it up again and now the whole roof paint might come sooner then later. Thanks guys for the support, I know that you all know how bad it hurts when your baby gets a boo boo
IT S***S , :anim_25: with roof and let us know how roof turns out , sounds like you dont hav a choice :eek: THE WHOLE ROOF :eek:

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
To bad you don't live in Toledo. My friend with forty years of paint experience, could not only match the paint, but repair that scratch with out a trace. I'm sure you could find one equally capable in your area. :anim_25:

·
Trifive on Facebook Admin Trifive Leaders Club
6,152 Posts
I would imagine after a forty year friendship your friend will be kicking himself enough about it and feeling miserable enough that it happened at all.
The roof can be repaired but good friends are not that easy to come by...and he sounds like a good friend.
:anim_25: with the repair .

·
Premium Member
7,488 Posts
Great Friends are priceless.

i am exactly like you we would both choose to bite the bullitt and keep our 40 or more year friends they are PRICELESS:shakehands::happy0030:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts