Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1955 210 SERIES, 406 DUAL QUAD ENGINE WITH MUNCIE 4 SPEED
4,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put my 55 in storage yesterday. Parked it in a heated garage (50 degrees) filled with gas and covered it and disconnected 10 year old battery. It will now sit for 6 months. I did not add any thing to the gas, pump up the tires or change the oil.

Lets see what happens in the spring

·
Registered
896 Posts
Let's hope our Michigan winter is not that long lol. I always add a fuel stabilizer and change the oil. If you use fuel with ethanol in it, and most do have it, it will absorb moisture very quickly. Old oil in storage is full of bad stuff too. You don't want that old oil circulating through your engine in 6 months.
The fuel is more a problem today then the oil is.
Todd

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just a couple of thoughts, what about getting it off the ground on jack stands to minimize the flat spotting of the tires, putting something inside it to deter critters (Irish spring soap, dryer sheets, odor adsorption charcoal, etc, take your pick). If possible start it every month?

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
I fill my tank with gas, and my cars all have battery disconnect switches, so I don't remove the batteries. I turn them off and hook a trickle charger on all my batteries. Haven't done the put them on jackstands, as even a flat spot works out in a few miles of the first drive in spring. And if by chance we get a nice day in the winter I can remove the charger, turn it on and go for a drive that day.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
I like to mix some Stabil when sitting for long periods. I use it with the mowers and rest of the gas powered tools for the winter.

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
Since the battery is 10 years old, I suppose it's not even worth putting a battery maintainer on it. Which by the way is a lot different than a trickle charger. A trickle charger will overcharge the battery if left on.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Just a couple of thoughts, what about getting it off the ground on jack stands to minimize the flat spotting of the tires, putting something inside it to deter critters (Irish spring soap, dryer sheets, odor adsorption charcoal, etc, take your pick). If possible start it every month?
I have never been in favor of the periodic start idea. I think that all you will do is build up a lot of moisture vapor in the crankcase that will condense into water. If I start an engine I always try to drive the vehicle for at least 30 min at highway speeds to get the engine up to temp to clear out the crankcase as much as possible.

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
Yes I agree. Run it at idle or even higher just adds condensation to the oil and even more to the exhaust. Best to wait for a nice salt free day and no matter what the temp, drive it!

·
Registered
66,313 Posts
battery tender on mine in winter and still will drive it as long as no salt or water on roads.

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
battery tender on mine in winter and still will drive it as long as no salt or water on roads.
You need to take that baby out in a heavy rain! It's good for it, and make sure those wipers work.
Seriously, I knew a guy from Puerto Rico and he said he finds it weird that in the US people don't wash their cars in the rain. Rain is soft water and unless you are downwind from some bad pollution, it will dry spot free. I've done it, but not in the winter! Still hosed it off, but then let the rain do the final rinse.

·
Registered
66,313 Posts
You need to take that baby out in a heavy rain! It's good for it, and make sure those wipers work.
Seriously, I knew a guy from Puerto Rico and he said he finds it weird that in the US people don't wash their cars in the rain. Rain is soft water and unless you are downwind from some bad pollution, it will dry spot free. I've done it, but not in the winter! Still hosed it off, but then let the rain do the final rinse.
my 56 has never in all the years I have had it ever got wet, on purpose or by accident. California duster is all i have used on it.

·
Registered
7,239 Posts
my 56 has never in all the years I have had it ever got wet, on purpose or by accident. California duster is all i have used on it.
I know, I saw that in another thread. I was just being a wise guy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
This is my ritual FWIW - it may be a bit compulsive. I live in the northeast so once it snows, you're done driving until spring unless you don't mind road salt.

• change the oil and filter
  • pull each spark plug, inspect it, and fog the cylinder
  • disconnect the battery (charge it in the spring)
  • put Irish Spring Soap in the engine bay, interior under front and rear seats, in the trunk
  • put steel wool in the exhaust tips (keeps critters out)
  • put the car up on jack stands to keep the tires from flat spotting
  • put "sticky" mouse traps under each tire as that is closest point to the ground for them to try to gain entry to the car
  • while it's up on jack stands I check the tranny and diff oil levels and thoroughly inspect suspension and underside in general
  • lube all zerk fittings

1 - 15 of 15 Posts