Chevy Tri Five Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! we are having trouble at the Trifive Nationals again this year! it ran great coming down here, 20 mpg, no hiccups, no problems. but yesterday, it started hesitating and stalling out real bad under load. it idles rough and actually the RPMs wander around, by as much as 100 or more. i cant kill it by turning in the mixture screws all the way on my 1957 Carter WCFB Carb. we just took it off, spray cleaned it, and replace the carb to manifold gasket. there is a large amount of fuel smoking/dripping from the tailpipes. we cant get it to go more than 50 without hesitating and almost stalling. do you guys have any ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
764 Posts
Make sure choke is open. Good chance a float is stuck,or has a pin hole,and has gotten heavy. Also check for dirt in the needle,and seat.Any chance you bought the E85 gas? that stuff is not for old cars.It may have eaten rubber or plastic in the carb.In short I think fuel is just overflowing the carb internally.May need a carb kit. One more thought...any chance its a real new to the engine fuel pump? the pressure may be too much,and you need a regulator.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the choke is wide open, i turned it to stay wide open. so maybe ill try to rebuild it tomorrow, or just buy an edelbrock to replace it until i get home. i want to keep the good ole Carter

·
Administrator
67,972 Posts
I would also pull a couple od spark plugs see if they are clogged up.

I would see if you can replace the carby as that seems to be giving you the problems.

·
Registered
764 Posts
As long as the bolt pattern is the same,or you can get an adapter the Edlebrock is a great choice.Very simple to dial in,almost perfect right out of the box anyway.I have a 500cfm on my 265,but a 600cfm will work too.New sparkplugs after the change is a good idea too.If someone at the event is selling them great,or pay the Express,and have it overnighted to a hotel,or UPS store for pickup.Good luck,hope you get to enjoy the event after this is out of the way. One more thought,since you pumping gas through the engine raw you may have gas in the oil so check it for gas smell,and replace if needed.Dont want to drive home on 3weight oil !

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
52,796 Posts
Lance....Bowling Green sure has been a hard luck place for you...Last year https://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163217 now this...Since you are at BG, one of our guys there should be able to help you....We have a lot of the corporate knowledge right there...Let me know if you need some phone numbers.

Better yet, post your phone number here, so someone can get in touch with you....Also, send me a PM with your phone number and I will try to put you in touch with someone.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my phone is 701-430-3724! we got an edelbrock and an adapter, but the spacer is too wide at tge bottom and tge gasket would be exposed. anyone know where we could get a better metal spacer? or, how this ought to work with the factory manifold?

·
52,796 Posts

·
52,796 Posts

·
52,796 Posts

·
Registered
27,726 Posts
Hope you get er going . Mike

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
we fixed it finally. all that money for a new carburetor, electric fuel pump, brackets, all that..... it was a hole in the gas line causing a vacuum leak!!! but thank goodness!! we are en route to kansas city, to the ruins of fairfax 1, where my car was built! once again, i was just blown away by how helpful all of you were, and how friendly all the local folks were. its simply amazing. thank yiu very much!

·
52,796 Posts
Lance....Glad you were able to get 'er going buddy....Have a safe trip back home. :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
6 and a half hours to kansas city! i accidentally arced the positive terminal to the AC low pressure hose, it burst, and so we have no AC. but with night driving thats not an issue. my MPG dropped from 20 to 16 sadly though, maybe the vacuum leak gave me abnormally high mileage? at any rate, still doin well! en route to Kansas City! thanks guys!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts