Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
56 Bel Air, 265 w/Rochester 2bbl. Can anyone point me towards a new carb float? The local parts guys just laugh, and I don't find a source in any of the vendors' online catalogues. Mine sank today and left me stranded. I've emptied it and resoldered, the car runs good, but I don't have confidence in it now. THANKS - Stan

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Have you checked with NAPA? They don't usually laugh at me and they can sometimes find some hard-to-find parts. I also had some luck with PepBoys, but maybe I just found the right guy who knew how to look things up in the books! It helps if you've got the number off the carb.

I did a quick google search and found lots of hits for Rochester Carburetor Parts.

·
Registered
258 Posts
i used to work part time as a parts guy at a big chain. (parts america) your best bet is just to ask to take a look in their carb book. most of the ones we had went back that far. just try to find a number to give the guy behind the counter. this usually works for me. just thought you might try that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys, I appreciate the responses, but still no luck. A friend at the Carquest store in Apex, NC is looking, but he says it doesn't look good unless I can find a used float. I want to keep this shoebox as stock as possible, but are there later model 2bbl Rochesters that would work & have better parts availability? THANKS - Stan

·
Registered
289 Posts
I believe you need to go to NAPA. I think the factory part # is 7000273 and the NAPA # is CRB2470 for the brass one. The NAPA # is MPF3FL19 for the plastic one.

If you will post your carb #'s I can double check, but i'm sure that is the float you need. NAPA should have a paper catalog with pictures

Not to knock anyone, but if the kids at these parts houses can't punch it up on a computer they will say they don't have it.

Can ya tell I was a NAPA employee in a previous life?

Hope this helps.
Dale

P.S. Where do you live in NC? I live in Galax, Va.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Dale's57, you're close to me, I'm just across the hill from you in the Fort Chiswell area... and you're right about the float it should be easy to find at most part stores that know how to look it up...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Dale, you are right about that. When I was assistant manager at Advance Auto, I woudn't let a new employee near the computer until they were familiar with the books. One of the things I had them look up was a top radiator hose for a 1964 Chevy Corvair. When they could tell me "there is no such thing", I would start them on the computer.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Briarpatch, That's beautiful country down there. Let me know if you can't find a float with those numbers.

D.S. Now I know were to find someone to help me wet sand my 57.:D :D

Dale

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
D.S. Now I know were to find someone to help me wet sand my 57.:D :D
Dale
Sure I'll drink a cold brew and watch a pro sand anytime... :D
But I'd rather do the mechanical work than sand... ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Well, I don't try to do everything the hard way, but that's usually the way it turns out. Yesterday I found an independent parts store in Boone, NC that had been in business forever. The owner found a reman carb in Calif. (supposed to fit 55 thru 61) for $140 & I had him order it. Yesterday afternoon the local NAPA store's "old stuff" guy found the floats in their catalogue. That's the same catalogue that didn't list the float when I checked earlier. They even have a picture on the computer! ANYway, I ordered two floats, so now I'll have a spare float and spare carb. Hey, the original carb float only lasted 50 years, I may need another one. THANKS to all who helped; I'll bet the car will make it to south Va. this coming spring. YOU GUYS ARE THE BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS - Stan
P.S. Dale - You're from Galax - you don't like bluegrass music by any chance, do you?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Stan, That's great you found some parts. If you live around here and don't like bluegrass, They ask you to move. LOL.:D Sounds like you been to Felts Park before.

Dale

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Guess I better pack my bags cause I don't really care for Bluegrass... lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts