Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

carb wont open past 1/4.

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  56flamejob 
#1 ·
Well, im on the middle of my 200-4r swap and im attempting to hookup the TV cable. I realised when looking at the instructions and seeing how far the TV cable mount is supposed to swing ,I dont think my carb(Holley 650) is opening all the way. I hand-turned the linkage until it stopped and looked down inside, only the front butterflies open and not even half way, the back 2 do nothing. Back before i started working on the car, when i stomped the gas, it would immediately stall out. Maybe that has somthing to do with it.

Any ideas?

Im using the geometry-corrector bracket that came with the tv cable.
heres some pictures(thier way big)

open throttle
http://www.trifive.com/forums/vbgar...e.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=getimage&id=5351

closed throttle
http://www.trifive.com/forums/vbgar...e.com/forums/vbgarage.php?do=getimage&id=5350

#2 · (Edited)
The front "butterflies" should open all the way, the rear ones are pulled open by vacuum as the engine needs them...
You need to find out what is preventing the carb from reaching full throttle...
Could be the linkage hitting something or maybe the throttle plates hitting the intake...

#6 ·
This may not apply to your case but when I installed my Holly on the Edelbrock Performer intake the linkage for the throttle plate on the passenger side was hitting the manifold not allowing for the throttle to open more than half way.. I called Holly and they pointed me to this problem and said I had to install a spacer plate under the carb (or grind the intake) for wide open throttle. Ordered the plate and all was well.

Don

#7 ·
upon closer inspection i saw that it only appeared to be getting stuck on part of the carberator, so i did what i always do with automobile things, force it until it breaks or does what i want it to do. and it works now! i think it just had some dirt and gunk stuck in it from sitting for the better part of a year. Thanks for all the replies.

#8 ·
Way to go 56FJ....I think/hope :eek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.