Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
57 wagon
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Whats the group opinion on something like this? Its one of the few (non flex?) fans that I can find that have slimmer dimensions. 1 1/16" forward leading edge distance....7/8" backward trailing edge distance. Pretty slim. I know they only have 4 blades, but the blades have much more surface area (to move air) and the pitch seems pretty good too.

·
Registered
🐔County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
10,022 Posts
Looks like you need to buy or make adapters to mount the radiator in the 6 cylinder position. It's probably easier in the long run. As for what is a good fan, I doubt there is one that will fit where you are trying to put it.

·
Registered
57 wagon
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Looks like you need to buy or make adapters to mount the radiator in the 6 cylinder position. It's probably easier in the long run. As for what is a good fan, I doubt there is one that will fit where you are trying to put it.
The problem I run into with this issue is that I've not been able to locate transmission coolant lines for a TH400 tranny with radiator in I6 position. Then next up are all the issues with my V8 radiator and the spout being in the middle. Now I've got to replace my upper radiator support and possibly notch my under hood braces. Ugh. There's no simple answer, really.

All I need is my radiator to get just a little more air flow. Thats why I wanted to build out a fan shroud to see if I can get more draw coming through.

-CJB

·
Registered
🐔County, TN. 55 Bel Air Sport Coupe
10,022 Posts
I don't see where/if you answered my question about "how hot" does it get? Do you have an aftermarket temp gauge with degrees or just the stock one? Does the engine boil over?
If it's only going up to about 200°F, Don't Worry About It! You said it comes down when moving, so it's acceptable. If you want it to run cooler, either modify your transmission lines/make your own, and maybe you have to bite the bullet and buy a 6 cylinder radiator, then put on a fan that has some realistically larger blades and not a "racing fan". I know radiators cost a lot, I think they doubled in the past 5 years, but you have to do what you have to do, or just deal with it as it is.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
as far as my transmission lines I bought a set of braided lines with an fittings and a 10 row trans cooler with mini fan and 4 row aluminum radiator but not using radiator cooler. Stainless flex fan I have used on 2 different engines. If you have a good pressurized system 200 degrees is no big deal.

·
Premium Member
'57 210 4dr sedan 383/700R4 and '60 BelAir 4dr HT 350/700R4
899 Posts
As another poster suggested, have you considered getting an electric fan with shroud and putting it in front of the radiator? Pusher fan isn't as efficient as a puller, but it would eliminate your spacing problem, obviate the need for a flex fan, and you wouldn't have any issues with the upper hose having to go up and over the saddle bar or interfere with the hood baffle and you wouldn't have to mess with the trans lines. Many fans are reversible and come with their own shroud. Would your electrical system be up to the load that a fan would put on it? They're not difficult to install.

·
Registered
57 wagon
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I don't see where/if you answered my question about "how hot" does it get?
This is a fair enough statement. And honestly I don't know the answer (which is really your point). I know this isn't the best way to do it, but I bought a temp gun that I'm planning to use to get some quick measurements. The car has not gotten close to boiling over or anything. I'm just watching the temp gauge creep up past the halfway mark with it sits in traffic (I strongly try to keep the car moving best I can to mitigate this).

As another poster suggested, have you considered getting an electric fan with shroud and putting it in front of the radiator? Pusher fan isn't as efficient as a puller,
Yes, this IS a solution that could potentially solve most of my dilemmas. I just personally feel like a pusher fan is the least likely to fix my problem....but it might actually be a route I go if I can't get a shroud to help me out.

Thanks again fellas. I appreciate the feedback. I don't think I'm too far off from a solution. I just don't have many options to choose from. I'm hoping to dial it in over this next week and see what happens. I'll post up my results.

-CJB

·
Registered
62 Posts
BamaN'rs, I agree with you. While I haven't read every detail offered by others, it appears the OP believes there is a need to do something to solve "A" problem, doesn't know exactly what needs to be done, if anything, yet keeps coming up with what seems like excuses as to why the suggestions won't work.

All I say is good luck! The suggestions may likely help or work but the OP doesn't want to do them.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts

The fan on top is what you have and the fan on the bottom is what I use. It's an 18 inch 7 blade clutch fan. I never overheat in traffic.

If you are unwilling to move the radiator to the 6 cylinder position I would suggest an 18 inch flex fan. Use spacers to get the fan 3/4 to 1 inch away from the radiator. While you are at it replace the billet aluminum water pump pulley with a smaller diameter steel pulley to overdrive the fan. I really don't like flex fans but if your engine never sees extremely high RPM's it should be fine.

Summit Racing SUM-G4918 Flex Fan

·
Registered
57 wagon
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Fellas, I came here asking if anyone thought a cardboard mockup of a radiator shroud was a bad idea. I didn't really ask anyone to solve much anything else. I didn't list any other specifics because I wasn't trying to solve "those". But people inquired and I gave replies. Almost every angle that someone has offered, I had already pondered (or read about while searching threads). So very little that's been sent my way is actually new info.

If the direction I go doesn't work, then I'll back up and go another direction. Trial and error with as much knowledge I can glean. Likewise, on a reasonable budget.

I'm pretty please with how my mocked-up radiator shroud turned out. My eye-crometer tells me its going to make an improvement. Problem is that now the car won't start. I think its the battery. Once its fully charged I'll see if it will fire off. I do plan to try and look for a non-flex type fan. I just need to find something to fit in my space (more trial & error).

Wood Road surface Asphalt Floor Grass
Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Registered
57 wagon
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·

If you are unwilling to move the radiator to the 6 cylinder position I would suggest an 18 inch flex fan. Use spacers to get the fan 3/4 to 1 inch away from the radiator. While you are at it replace the billet aluminum water pump pulley with a smaller diameter steel pulley to overdrive the fan. I really don't like flex fans but if your engine never sees extremely high RPM's it should be fine.
Summit Racing SUM-G4918 Flex Fan
Thanks for the suggestion. Many on here have been saying to avoid flex-fans. Nobody seems to agree. My issue with an 18" fan is that it will potentially come in contact with my trans lines. I have very little room down low as is with my 17" fan. It might mount up, but I think it will only leave me with 1/4'ish an inch of room. What are you thoughts on that fan in 17"?

Thanks
-CJB

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
How much clearance between the 17 inch fan and the transmission lines do you currently have?
I don't understand the clearance "problem" with the trans lines. Whether it's down flow or cross flow if the lines are run correctly an 18" fan shouldn't be a problem. any fan that interfered with the lines would be bigger than the radiator core.

·
Registered
57 wagon
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
I don't understand the clearance "problem" with the trans lines. Whether it's down flow or cross flow if the lines are run correctly an 18" fan shouldn't be a problem. any fan that interfered with the lines would be bigger than the radiator core.
My fan seems to sit lower for some reason. I measured and my 17" fan has 3/4" clearance to the passenger side tranny line.

I'M CLOSING OUT THIS THREAD.

I got the wagon started up. I'm almost shocked at how much of a difference my cardboard shroud makes. All the air that was 'spilling' out away from the fan prior is now being captured and funneled back away from the fan. The change is noticeable. Before, the air moving through he upper portion of my core was very minimal. Since my fan is lower, I could feel more air moving in the lower core area. But now I estimate is that this setup is pulling 30-40% more air than before. I'm considering my experiment a success and will now purchase the aluminum DIY fan shroud from Summit. While the car was running, I could even notice a few tweaks I could make to capture more air from a few places I could feel that where still spilling out.

I'm still going to look for a fan that makes me feel more safe than the one I'm currently running. But it might take some trail & error.

I do appreciate everyone's effort to give me tips and advice. I do know that the best long-term scenario is prolly to move the radiator to I6 position and all that goes along with that. But hopefully, for now, this will get me by until I can get the other 1/2 dozen things sorted out with the car.

Cheers,
CJB

·
Administrator & Tech Articles
54,219 Posts
Closing thread by request of originator

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.