Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
15,171 Posts
Carmine,is the intake that you're using cast iron or a Winters foundry aluminum intake.Can you post some pics along with the P/n? Also does that older AFB have the ports in the front for the Vacuum advance and PCV valve connections?Do you have also the model/p/n of that carb,is it off a regular 327 pass. car or vette older year car? It would seem that the inlet should be 5 1/8 '' from a Carter AVS carb which was used on a 64 and or 65 vette model 327. Following your buildup and very interesting. :anim_25: :shakehands: :bowtieb: Bob

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Valve springs

Having a difficult time getting valve spring SLP-VS-739R from Summit. Received 2 back order notices and the last said they would be available Dec. 16th. They were ordered 2-3 months ago. These springs are for my 265 build that I'm using a Duntov 097 solid cam in. They are described as 1.264 in. and outside diameter 1.160 in, coil bind height, whatever all that means. Would anyone know where I could get these listed springs or some facsimile? My machinist feels that he could get them but I'd like to have something on my own for comparison. I looked on line and the only thing I came up with is Summit as a vendor, which doesn't work for now. Many thanks, Carmine.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Having a difficult time getting valve spring SLP-VS-739R from Summit. Received 2 back order notices and the last said they would be available Dec. 16th. They were ordered 2-3 months ago. These springs are for my 265 build that I'm using a Duntov 097 solid cam in. They are described as 1.264 in. and outside diameter 1.160 in, coil bind height, whatever all that means. Would anyone know where I could get these listed springs or some facsimile? My machinist feels that he could get them but I'd like to have something on my own for comparison. I looked on line and the only thing I came up with is Summit as a vendor, which doesn't work for now. Many thanks, Carmine.
I have 2 sets of completely reworked Power Pack heads, my #5306 56 heads, and another set set of 283 heads. Both have undergone screw in studs, not the shouldered type however. Both have all new valves, including 1.84" intakes. Both have been surfaced, and had some very mild port/bowl work done. Both have Z-28 type spring/retainer kits. These are for street engines, not all out race, so they don't have to have every trick in the book done to them. These are a "Z-28 type spring and retainer package" from E-Bay; quality parts at a decent price. My machinist, whom I've know for 40 years, says they are great parts. I don't order very much from Summit, and will not order anything from JEGS (always an excuse); they can easily be beat in costs by almost any E-Bay vendor, and I've never heard the "back order' excuse from any of them. Summit/JEGS are pretty typical of companies that have grown too fast in recent years,and have gotten too big, too fast; kinda like Boeing, and look where they're at currently. I have taken parts to my machinist who has questioned some of their quality; those went back, but it has been very rare. Almost every purchase I make, is below jobber prices; how can you you beat that? You can't. I'm not talking about knock-off intake manifolds, cheap HEI distributors, or even "fake" Holley carburetors; I'm talking about internal engine parts, that the Chinese have't latched onto yet; they seem to concern themselves with "bolt-on" parts that they don't have to do any R and D on, just copy as best they can, and sell cheap. Take for instance some of their intake manifolds, that none have consistent size to the ports or machine work; seriously, all the ports are different sizes. But, they "look" good at first glance. Hard to pass up on an intake manifold that's roughly 1/2 that of an Edelbrock; until you actually look at them closely. JMO. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.
I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Carmine,is the intake that you're using cast iron or a Winters foundry aluminum intake.Can you post some pics along with the P/n? Also does that older AFB have the ports in the front for the Vacuum advance and PCV valve connections?Do you have also the model/p/n of that carb,is it off a regular 327 pass. car or vette older year car? It would seem that the inlet should be 5 1/8 '' from a Carter AVS carb which was used on a 64 and or 65 vette model 327. Following your buildup and very interesting. :anim_25: :shakehands: :bowtieb: Bob
The intake is stock cast iron and from a '66 Corvette 327/300. Cast date H266. Part #3872783. The carb. is from a '64 Corvette 327/300. It's part #3721. It has a port on the front which I'm going to use for my vacuum advance and it has a port on the back which will be used for PCV. I'm using a kit to replace the road draft tube. I'll probably have to put a "T" in the line if I get a car with power brakes, Carmine.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
looks like you are moving right along!
Yes, it is moving along at a nice pace. No rush seeing how i don't even have a car. The only thing holding me up are valve springs which I have a few leads on thanks to the members here. I would think the bottom end can start to be assembled and we'll take care of the heads when I get the springs. I'm thinking in the next 3-4 weeks, it should be done. Can't wait to hear this on the dyno for the first time, Carmine.

·
Registered
35,509 Posts
56sedandelivery, do you really think that the junk you described is more prevalent at Summit/Jegs than on Ebay? Or that you can't buy reasonably priced parts at those places that really work? As they used to say on the ESPN Sunday morning football show - C'MON MAN.

And do you really think that Summit has "grown too fast"? They sell everything, stock more than anyone, and ship it fast.

The real problem here is recognizing which parts are likely to be poor copies or questionable quality. Best way is to ask, which Carmine has been doing.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
56sedandelivery, do you really think that the junk you described is more prevalent at Summit/Jegs than on Ebay? Or that you can't buy reasonably priced parts at those places that really work? As they used to say on the ESPN Sunday morning football show - C'MON MAN.

And do you really think that Summit has "grown too fast"? They sell everything, stock more than anyone, and ship it fast.

The real problem here is recognizing which parts are likely to be poor copies or questionable quality. Best way is to ask, which Carmine has been doing.
Interesting point Rick L with "poor copies or questionable quality". Late yesterday, I found a set of springs on ebay after be alerted to there by a member. It was the exact same part # that I had been seeking. Made by Sealed Power. There was only one left, so I bought them. Checked the vendors feedback which was 99.3% based on selling thousands of items. Now, where I'm going with this is, their price was $26.00 vs. $74.00 at Summit. How can that be such a disparity, I don't know. Summit, usually has the best price around, other then RockAuto at times. How can there be such a difference?? Can it be inferior parts imported from China, just saying. Could I have read something wrong at Summit?? I don't think so, but I will recheck with them. Was it my turn to get a deal on something?? I did cancel my order with Summit. These springs are due to arrive this Friday, November 15th. It will be interesting to see if the springs come packaged from the manufacturer or a different wrapping. I will certainly have my machinist examine them and get his opinion. Hope they will be ok, Carmine.

·
Registered
35,509 Posts
The Seal Power springs should be adequate. As you suggest, the springs you get should have their packaging checked to give you some assurance that you're getting what's described.

About the only way a retailer can offer those parts new at such a low price is if the seller got them by buying inventory from someone that went out of business. Or an individual who has had them stored and is just getting rid of excess stuff not needed.

Fortunately, finding some suitable 1.25" diameter stock replacement springs is not a hard task. But you should always be wary of dirt cheap parts.

·
Registered
192 Posts

You asked, so I'll answer! YES I DO, and I stick by my original statement. Summit and JEGS have BOTH been around for close to 50 years now, and it's the growth in recent years I'm referring to, and like everything these days, it's about money and turnover; they even have their own "BRANDS" now, that are made OFF SHORE and are COPIES of USA based products, and don't tell me they're as GOOD as the products they have copied. But that's just MY opinion. Money, money, money, and I can't get them to quit sending me their danged catalogs. These two companies have essentially closed the speed shops we all used to frequent. I will say, Summit IS better than JEGS, and I have bought from both at times, but so is Auto-Zone for that matter, and that's just my opinion, again, something I'm allowed. Summit is far better at standing behind what they sell, and they are more "customer concerned" than JEGS. The last thing I bought from Summit, was 4 Chevrolet rally rims, big and littles, and one of them arrived with the bead bent over (UPS shipping!). Called them, they sent a replacement, and told me to keep the damaged one. The last time I purchased an item from JEGS, and that's been around 5 years now, (hydraulic roller cam and kit for a BBC), JEGS sent it to the the other side of the country, Virginia as I remember (?????), and I'm in Washington State. Then, they would't do a refund/reorder/or anything else until their OWN mistake was corrected, and their parts returned to them; left me in limbo for almost 2 weeks. You don't like my opinion, then look at it this way, it's JUST MY OPINION, and you have no reason to get all twisted out of shape about it. You frequently spout off your opinions, but I have NEVER challenged you; why, because you're entitled to your opinion, even though some times, I have not agreed with it. Sure, some/many things I do agree with you on, but really, who made you the supreme, all knowing, guru of all things Chevrolet? I'm old school, really old school, and it's why i'm still messing around with 265's, like Carmine. I'm also an X-Ray/CAT Scan Tech by trade/career; I don't work in any automotive career/industry. You want to attack that also? And, I don't buy "junk" from Summit, JEGS, E-BAY, or from anyone else; I have more sense than that. I do my own research, compare what's out there, and only buy what I need, or sometimes, buy what I need to have on hand for when I do need it. And, I really try NOT to buy anything that's from off shore, although that is getting really difficult to do. Oh, and as attorneys say, in an analogy to your ESPN statement, "asked and answered". But once again, JMO. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Well, the valve springs came today. Three days early which is fine wit me. They came in a Sealed Power box. Look new as they should. I will be taking all the parts to the machine shop at the end of this week. They will probably start the rebuild sometime in 1-2 weeks. I'm going to ask to be there during a small portion of this time to take some pics. Will post same, Carmine.

·
Registered
35,509 Posts
Butch, you really got worked up over that. But you didn't really refute anything I said, in fact you agreed with some of it. If I'm so evil and wrong, maybe you should disagree when I post something you don't like. I will admit when I'm wrong.

Summit and Jegs offer their house brand offshore copies because there are those that demand price leader stuff. There's a market and they are serving it. But is it all they sell? No.

·
Premium Member
14,995 Posts
Well, the valve springs came today. Three days early which is fine wit me. They came in a Sealed Power box. Look new as they should. I will be taking all the parts to the machine shop at the end of this week. They will probably start the rebuild sometime in 1-2 weeks. I'm going to ask to be there during a small portion of this time to take some pics. Will post same, Carmine.
Glad it worked out. :tu

·
Registered
192 Posts
Butch, you really got worked up over that. But you didn't really refute anything I said, in fact you agreed with some of it. If I'm so evil and wrong, maybe you should disagree when I post something you don't like. I will admit when I'm wrong.

Summit and Jegs offer their house brand offshore copies because there are those that demand price leader stuff. There's a market and they are serving it. But is it all they sell? No.
No, not at all worked up. Sometimes, people just have to be "educated", and like I said, you don't know it all, nor do I, despite what my wife says when she's all worked up. You stick with your methods/vendors, and I'll stick with mine. And this discussion is now over as far as I'm concerned.
I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Glad it worked out. :tu
Yeah, me too Bruce. Thanks for that tip/link. I appreciate it. Now the fun begins. Can't wait to hear this little mouse motor run on the dyno. Never owned a car before that had a solid cam. Should be interesting. I'm pretty sure that they'll adjust the valves cold and then once broke in, they should adjust them hot. At least I think that. If so, I want to see how they do this because I've never adjusted solids before. I've read about it here and I could probably watch a Youtube video, but I'd like to see it in person, Carmine.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Hi everyone. Just a few pics of the block, heads and pistons. I asked the machinist to call me when some of the parts were assembled, which he did, for pics. I know most have seen these things before, so not too much excitement there. The block cleaned up nice. Bored .030 over. Decked. Of course new freeze out plugs and block drains. The pistons are ringed and on new forged rods with ARP bolts. The crank was turned. Not sure how much but will find out.
Also tapped for a bolt on harmonic balancer. The heads were ported, bowled, cut and had bigger intake valves used. The rocker studs were also pinned. I don't know when it will be assembled, but I would think soon. Going to be dynoed for breakin and adjustment purposes only. From what I'm told, the solid lifters will be adjusted cold and then again hot. Someone will give me a lesson in how to do that, because I've never adjusted solids before. Besides, I did buy polylocks.
I also have to find out which head gasket to use and why. I have a .019 and a .038 thick gaskets. They are also going to paint the block and heads for me before assembly. It's starting to come together. Can't wait to hear this mini mouse motor run. Thanks for looking, Carmine.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Had the pics ready to go and received a notice that they couldn't be attached because of some security code missing. What is that?? Never a problem before. Thanks, Carmine.

·
Registered
7,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Well, got a call yesterday from the machine shop that the motor was on the dyno and ready to go. I went there and saw the motor all hooked up and ready to go. The first time that I've seen it all together. I asked Bob the machinist if it went together okay or were there any problems?? He smiled and didn't say a word. The guy who does the dyno testing/break in then showed me some lifters. Wow. Were they concave or what?? I asked what motor they were from, and he said mine. What????? He said about one month ago, they had the motor hooked up and ready to go. Had it running for about 15-20 minutes then heard it make some unusual sounds. Shut it off and took off the valve covers. They tried to get some valve adjustment but weren't even close. They knew the cam had been wiped out. Yup, sure enough, took it apart and 5 lobes were gone off the cam. They have no idea why this happened. Initially, everything was adjusted properly and they used a quality break in oil. This is only the second time this has ever happened to them after many, many motor rebuilds. Lucky me. I could research it, because I do have the invoice, but I don't recall the cam or lifter manufacturer. I only buy name brand parts, but have a suspicion it might be some of this imported crap under a brand name label. Anyway, he ordered another solid cam from Comp Cams with the same specs as the Duntov 097 solid cam that I had in the motor. Lifters from them also. The motor was previously started and broken in. Just fine tuning it at this time. Wow. Does this thing sound good. Took it up to 6000 rpms a few times and had even more to go. It was just remarkable to me to see and hear this '57 motor run again, keeping in mind I used parts that were available up to 1966. I told him to bring those Fords on, I'm ready. He had to remind me that I still had a bored 265. Not alot of cubes, he said. Yup, I did forget. Got caught up in the excitement lol. So, timing, valves, a/f mixture, anything that could be adjusted, was. There was a slight leak around one of the bottom holes in the valve cover. I knew it was there and tried fixing it with JB Weld. He is going to tig weld it before it leaves. One other thing. Before leaving he hands me a coil and said it was mine and I need another one. Why?? He said this coil lasted about 15 minutes and quit. He has a borrowed one on the engine. This is an AC Delco coil I bought from Rock Auto.
Anyhow, I'm going to bring the engine home next week and put it on a stand. I'm going to stick with my plan of putting it in my '55 vert over the winter with a 200-4R trans. I don't even have my car registered yet. NYS DMV is closed. They want you to do things on line, but I can't because I lack a registration. Mine requires special attention.
I took a few still shots of the engine and some video. I apologize for the short video's. I really didn't know how to do it and it shows. Thanks for taking a look, Carmine.

Motor 1.jpg

Motor 2.jpg

We're trying to post the video's, but not too sucessful.

·
Registered
5,136 Posts
One critical Question? Where did the metal from that worn cam end up? I think it was circulated thru the entire oiling system. Did they completely take apart and clean the entire engine and replace all the bearings and oil pump? The very first 55 I ever owned had a 56 -265 bored to a stock 283. Had 57 flat top pistons without any valve reliefs. Had a chev solid lifter cam. Extensively reworked Power pack 57 heads and a 300 hp 327 intake and carter AFB. The older guy I got it From claimed it ran like a Raped Ape. It was pretty stout. Until I overwound it and collided a valve with a piston. I still have the heads intake and AFB carb.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts